Parents Where to find good wedge mats

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to find a good wedge mat and practice mat? We'd love it if it if the two don't cost as much as a mortgage too. :)

My niece likes to flip around at home. Nothing serious but we see how much the wedge mat helps in practice and thought it would be good to have at home. Right now she uses the couch to walk up her kickovers. Lol

You're going to get a lot of this - gym stays at gym. By bringing equipment into the home, you are encouraging her to practice at home, which shouldn't be allowed.

You're going to get a lot of this - gym stays at gym. By bringing equipment into the home, you are encouraging her to practice at home, which shouldn't be allowed.
This exactly. Not only is it dangerous to do at home (even if you have the "right" equipment), a gymnast can potentially practice something on their own at home, and do the skill incorrectly which in turn requires learning the skill over again at the gym.

I would encourage your niece to not do gymnastics at home (my daughter used to flip all over the couch, she learned quick that isn't allowed....whether you're a gymnast or not).

She does cartwheels everywhere we go, and handstands on the lawn. But she will not be allowed ever to do any sort of tumbling skills, or bar skills (say, on the playground) once she gets more advanced.

Number one reason is safety. Number two reason is the potential to teach herself to do a skill incorrectly.

Besides the increase likelihood of injury.

Practice makes permanent. Practice wrong and one will get perfect at doing it wrong. Coach will spend time they could spend doing, undoing instead.

Then there is the emotional. Home is home, gym is gym. Home is the place to just be, and not be "On". It should be ABG, anything but gym. It should be their safe place.

Just had our level 4 and up parent meeting (our first year at the higher level meeting). this is the first year the coach has recommended conditioning and cardio on days off. At prior levels they didn't even recommend that. And they were very clear beyond conditioning (and they reviewed with us the what they should do and proper form) to leave the gymnastics at gym.

They (and the parents of kids at the upper level kids like L9) stressed let the coach coach. Our job is parent.

Absolutely gym at gym - you'll find yourself trying to sell that stuff later! Just let her do some open gym time with the real equipment and other kids if she wants to do more gym...

I can honestly say that the kids I know who "learned" skills at home had to be re-taught at gym and that can be hard if its a young kid - how do you explain to a 5 year old that the BHS that mommy and daddy loved at home is "dangerous and done improperly" and needs to stop until maybe next year...? IF a parent doesn't want to listen to the combined wisdom of multiple coaches, experienced parents and older gymnasts on this one, to me that speaks of a lack of wisdom on the parents part...

We went through this with DD at 5 - luckily she sincerely loved her coach and worshiped the ground she walked on, plus was in the pre-team class already, so when coach said nicely to her "honey thats going to get you hurt, wait until I can teach you the right way and it will get you medals" she listened...coach explained to me the form issues and possible injuries both now and more importantly later on if her form wasn't proper (and we are talking blown out knees at L8...from initially badly done BHS...its very real biomechanically) - and that was that!

Outside of gym all three do lots of handstands, handstand pirouette contests, standing back tuck contests (once they can do it properly...which for my kids was about level 7/8 for consistently safe...) and mushroom circles, cartwheels, etc. kips on bars at playgrounds are allowed but no flyaways or giants (don't ask...)...basically if you haven't been doing it for 2 or three years at gym OR its a skill that requires all four extremities on the floor, it stays in the gym for my kids....they of course are allowed to do as many splits, press handstand, stalder press and push up contests as they wish!

They (and the parents of kids at the upper level kids like L9) stressed let the coach coach. Our job is parent.

This is the hardest thing to learn and practice. I was watching D yesterday morning at practice (I was 10 minutes early picking up and he was still working a skill). I said kind of under my breath " come on, you can catch that, just put your hands down".

One of the younger kids' parents said...are you coaching him out here where he can't even hear you?

My reply was "Yep, because it is not my job to coach him to his face. I just listen and congratulate".

It is tough! I wanted to tell him that he had that skill if he would just DO it. But there is a reason the coach has him doing it this way, and a reason behind what the plan is. SO I trust that.

ANd yep .... no gym at home. Conditioning and flexibility are great, but no gymnastics.

From a different thread you mentioned that what she was missing from the classes was conditioning.
So imho there is where you should put your focus, keeping in mind she is 5. Conditioning may also help with her lack of focus that you mentioned. This said, focus is developmental, yet it can also be something that will make gymnastics challenging. There was a very talented gymnast at my dd's meet. She blew it away on warmups. My dd, who incidentally is not 'very' talented, blew her away when it counted. So, you probably already gave yourself your answers when you were thinking aloud. Conditioning and strengthening focus. There you go.

From a different thread you mentioned that what she was missing from the classes was conditioning.
So imho there is where you should put your focus, keeping in mind she is 5. Conditioning may also help with her lack of focus that you mentioned. This said, focus is developmental, yet it can also be something that will make gymnastics challenging. There was a very talented gymnast at my dd's meet. She blew it away on warmups. My dd, who incidentally is not 'very' talented, blew her away when it counted. So, you probably already gave yourself your answers when you were thinking aloud. Conditioning and strengthening focus. There you go.
I think even this should be left alone. She is 5. She just switched gyms. Let them work with her on form, technique and conditioning.

That being said, we do have one panel mat at home. The kids use it for handstands, assigned conditioning etc, they also make it into a wall for for whatever imaginary. Wedge mats are larger (thus harder to store), and might encourage doing things at home that she should leave at the gym.

I think even this should be left alone. She is 5. She just switched gyms. Let them work with her on form, technique and conditioning.

That being said, we do have one panel mat at home. The kids use it for handstands, assigned conditioning etc, they also make it into a wall for for whatever imaginary. Wedge mats are larger (thus harder to store), and might encourage doing things at home that she should leave at the gym.
I actually agree with you about leaving it alone, but it seems obvious the OP wants something to focus on, and no offense to her, but she probably won't leave it alone, which is why I thought perhaps she should target her nieces weaknesses.:)

Also, there are lots of fun activities kids can do to condition and build strength without realizing it. I know the niece has tried several activities already, but swimming is a great workout and there are lots of just dance videos on YouTube.

I actually agree with you about leaving it alone, but it seems obvious the OP wants something to focus on, and no offense to her, but she probably won't leave it alone, which is why I thought perhaps she should target her nieces weaknesses.:)
The thing though, is that she is 5yo. Gym should be fun. Conditioning at home assigned by her aunt, is the opposite of making gym fun. As well, the new gym has not had time to work with her yet.

well, since you asked where to find a mat, the places I've seen gyms order home equipment from are American Gymnast (AG) and the Nastia line.

I'll be the lone person on chalkbucket to say, I don't mind mats...or a low beam or even a bar--those things are so low and wobbley, no kid could develop good or bad anything on them...besides maybe half leg lifts?

At 5yo, I think mats are fun, the way a backyard swingset is fun. As long as the parent doesn't show any more interest than they do the swingset....

I kinda think pushy parents are the problem, not the mats, and the pushy parent will cause damage w/ or w/o mats. You have done enough research and reading to know what to watch out for (basically, no backwalkovers or backwalkovers derivatives EVER), and you know the dynamics of sports and kids and pushy parents better than most.

well, since you asked where to find a mat, the places I've seen gyms order home equipment from are American Gymnast (AG) and the Nastia line.

I'll be the lone person on chalkbucket to say, I don't mind mats...or a low beam or even a bar--those things are so low and wobbley, no kid could develop good or bad anything on them...besides maybe half leg lifts?

At 5yo, I think mats are fun, the way a backyard swingset is fun. As long as the parent doesn't show any more interest than they do the swingset....

I kinda think pushy parents are the problem, not the mats, and the pushy parent will cause damage w/ or w/o mats. You have done enough research and reading to know what to watch out for (basically, no backwalkovers or backwalkovers derivatives EVER), and you know the dynamics of sports and kids and pushy parents better than most.
Have you seen what kids are doing on those 'wobbly bars' and low beams on YouTube? Front/back hip circles, giants on bars, back handsprings and tucks on the beams. Once the equipment is in the home, it is a lot easier for the parent to allow and encourage the child to do more. The op said the girl is already doing kickovers with the couch. That's why they want the wedge. It won't take long before she is attempt walkovers and then bhs with it.

Reactions: sce
I've heard the YouTube stories on chalkbucket, but I guess I've never known someone in real life who did any of the things you describe. I'm guessing the YouTube parents will wreak havoc with their children regardless of the equipment.

I have a few gym things at home, and a DD who has all the skills you list. She wouldn't dream of doing any of those things on the home "equipment." It is mostly used for making forts.

With normal people, I'm not super concerned. And I can't stop the crazies.

And I can't stop the crazies.

There is a difference between not stopping the crazies and encouraging the responsible thing to do.

I can't stop someone from not wearing a helmet on a bike or taking their kid out of a car seat/booster to soon. But it would be irresponsible of me to say go ahead it's fine, especially if I was say a car seat safety technician.

I've heard the YouTube stories on chalkbucket, but I guess I've never known someone in real life who did any of the things you describe. I'm guessing the YouTube parents will wreak havoc with their children regardless of the equipment.

I have a few gym things at home, and a DD who has all the skills you list. She wouldn't dream of doing any of those things on the home "equipment." It is mostly used for making forts.

With normal people, I'm not super concerned. And I can't stop the crazies.

It isn't just the crazy YouTube parents. A couple of weeks ago, I stayed for an hour of DD's practice (killing time before an appointment) and got in a conversation with a dad from L3. He was watching my DD and commented that he bet we had a lot of equipment at home. I explained thar, not we didn't. We have 1 4x8 mat, a chik up bar and a floor beam. He was very surprised, especially when I told him DD is pretty much limited to handstands, conditioning and some dance and leaps (the child cannot walk 5 steps without there being a leap in there somwhere). He told me they have a couple of mats, a mean and a bar set up in his basement where she works in her shoot through, mil circles and fhc. This is her first year on team, but she did 2 years on preteam (one the equivalent of L2 and one the equivalent of L3). I watched her a bit on bars and she did not have any of those 3 skills. The dad was nice enough and didn't seem particularly crazy. But, he implied that several of the L3s had similar setups at home. Not crazy parents. But parents who want to help their daughters' improve. He was very surprised that we didn't do the same thing.

I have also seen plenty of mini Facebook videos of BHSs in the grass from preteamers, L3s and L4s doing flippy/twisty things on trampolines, etc.

Folks we don't train her at home. Get that straight. The mat is to protect her head when she ultimately falls trying to practice her stuff.

And her teacher and the L2 coach both said it was fine to practice handstands, cartwheels, and kick overs at home. She also said when she was ready to work on back bends at home because 1 or 2 hours a week wouldn't keep up flexibility and help her build strength. If the coach says do it then who is anyone here to say otherwise?

The open gym is a good idea. I will have my mom do that as the weather cools because she will need something to burn off energy. This gym has open gym during the day which will be perfect for that purpose.

She does have a bar and rings swing that she hangs from. I know that will help. She also swims, but that is bound to end soon.

We never tell her "go practice your carrwheels," but we know she's going to and we'd prefer she do it on a mat. The wedge mat would only help kick overs. It's not a deal breaker.

What L2 coach suggested she do concerns very basic skills that kids will often try at recess. When it comes to more advanced stuff by no means will she be trying it at home.

Um excuse me but OP is not looking for something to focus on. I live 2500 miles away from her and spend maybe 1 out of every 6 weeks around her.

When the teacher went over what she could do at home, I thought a mat would keep me from getting a call that she got hurt from doing kick overs or whatever at home because she didn't have a mat.

We're not buying her a whole gym to work out on at home and we're not hiring a cheer coach to try and get her to do back handsprings before she's ready. We are trying to give her a safe place to throw level 1 floor skills so she doesn't end up hurting herself. This is a kid who's still walking up the couch to kick her bridge over. It's not about learning the skill. It's about becoming comfortable with how it feels to kick over. All she will end up doing is no harder than a round off so please stop your judgung....and I'm talking to all of you not just the person quoted here.

Side note: the cheer program she quit is trying to teach 5 and 6 year Olds back handsprings which I don't agree with. They teach 7 and 8 year Olds back tucks. That is why we never participated in their tumbling classes. We are a lot smarter than you people seem to think we are.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back