Parents Where to find good wedge mats

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But, he implied that several of the L3s had similar setups at home. Not crazy parents. But parents who want to help their daughters' improve. He was very surprised that we didn't do the same thing.

I have also seen plenty of mini Facebook videos of BHSs in the grass from preteamers, L3s and L4s doing flippy/twisty things on trampolines, etc.

First I hear my mother in the background saying "If everyone jumps off a bridge are you going to follow?" :rolleyes:

I don't really parent from a "well they are all doing it perspective".

And what you see on Facebook regarding the occasional BHS or something on a trampoline, is the viewer really has no idea how long the person has been doing something.

For instance my daughter has been doing cartwheels since she was 3 and BWO since she was 6. She is 9.5. If she does the occasional cartwheel or BWO on the beach or grass, its not really a big deal, she can pretty much do them in her sleep. Now flipping a back or front tuck on the grass or beach h@ll no. Not even on our outside trampoline.

Having equipment in the home is encouraging a kid to perhaps do more then they should. As most of us are not coaches, they then do more without the benefit of correction, perhaps establishing really bad habits and form, leading to issues that could be huge down the road, like back issues. Sure you won't necessarily see those right away. And it also encourages the child to do more then they may be ready and able to do because what the heck the equipment is there and shhh coach isn't watching.

Finally, many coaches have different opinions on things like conditioning, how much and when.

I am sure some say 5 should be doing conditioning as opposed to fun is fine and many say they are kids, a few times a week in the gym is more then enough. I mean there is a minimum age for TOPS. I'm sure there is a good reason for that.

And unfortunately there are crazy gym people out there who hear a coach say well xy and z is fine. And then the crazy gym people go well if xyz and is fine, then if we kick it up 5 notches that will be even better. JMO but no good usually comes from that.

Side note: the cheer program she quit is trying to teach 5 and 6 year Olds back handsprings which I don't agree with. They teach 7 and 8 year Olds back tucks. That is why we never participated in their tumbling classes. We are a lot smarter than you people seem to think we are.

It is all about the right training in the right environment.

L3 competes a BHS and L5 competes a back tuck. In the gym with coaching, DD's team (competing L4 this winter) works back tucks about once a week so thst they will be ready next year for L5. Her team consists of girls who are 8-13, so they are absolutely teaching them back tucks at 8 and many of those same girls were learning BHSs at 6. You mentioned in another thread that the gyms that train JO compulsory in your area want them young. If you disagree with training those skills young, you should consider whether the path you have your niece on is right for your family.

The one piece of equipment that has been the most useful for us is the chin up bar. DD can't walk past it without doing a few chin ups, pull ups and leg lifts. Great for gaining strength, no worries about poor form muscle memory and benefits her more in the gym than anything except perhaps her handstand work.

Have you seen what kids are doing on those 'wobbly bars' and low beams on YouTube? Front/back hip circles, giants on bars, back handsprings and tucks on the beams. Once the equipment is in the home, it is a lot easier for the parent to allow and encourage the child to do more. The op said the girl is already doing kickovers with the couch. That's why they want the wedge. It won't take long before she is attempt walkovers and then bhs with it.

She's doing a bridge on the floor and walking up the couch to kick over. Big difference between that and the back handspring. Like I said above, we refused the cheer tumbling class because they had girls who could barely do a forward roll standing up and spotting back walkovers and back handsprings. We know that's not appropriate.

And it's not about letting her. She takes off running and flips. Ironically her running cartwheel is significantly better than her standing one. I'm sure there's a reason for that but I haven't cared to explore it. We just want her flipping on a mat not the hard ground.

As for back walkovers, the coach specifically said no. She said anything above a backend was out at home and she didn't even need to try those just yet. We pay for good coaching and we listen to said coaches.

I'm very well aware about how parents can negatively affect progress in sports. I probably know better than anyone here because I was raised in professional sports. My parents never pushed us like that and no one is pushing her. My brother had a bad coach and quit baseball all together. It disappointed both my dad and the local high school coaches, but no one ever made him go back. That's the worst thing you can do. Pushing kids should be limited to school work not sports and even then the pushing is to give it your best effort.

I asked a question for safety purposes, but people here as usual choose to eat me alive. Honestly if this is the type of people my sister will be dealing with this sport, I'd be willing to bet within 2 years she will be looking for a different activity. I can honestly say that some of you are the most vile judgmental people I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot considering I make my home in an affluent area of Orange County which is the Mecca of mean and judgy girls.

And just to avoid any further confusion here is a list of things she was cleared to try at home:

Forward roll
Backward roll
Forward straddle roll
Backward straddle roll
Backward pike roll
Cartwheel
Round off
Handstand
Bridge
Bridge kick over
Backbend -- not right away and begin walking with hands down the wall like they did in class.

That's it, and the first 6 she was doing at home when she was 3, and they're things her sister and I did for fun back in the say. Actually we used to stand on the bed and do a front flip with no hands, land on the bed, and then dismount on to the floor standing. She's not allowed to do that either because it's a wonder neither of us ended up in the er for that.

Perhaps next time before jumping on someone you might try asking what it is someone hopes to accomplish with the mat or what are you planning to try at home. My mother always taught me that it's not nice to assume.....

Um excuse me but OP is not looking for something to focus on. I live 2500 miles away from her and spend maybe 1 out of every 6 weeks around her.

When the teacher went over what she could do at home, I thought a mat would keep me from getting a call that she got hurt from doing kick overs or whatever at home because she didn't have a mat.

We're not buying her a whole gym to work out on at home and we're not hiring a cheer coach to try and get her to do back handsprings before she's ready. We are trying to give her a safe place to throw level 1 floor skills so she doesn't end up hurting herself. This is a kid who's still walking up the couch to kick her bridge over. It's not about learning the skill. It's about becoming comfortable with how it feels to kick over. All she will end up doing is no harder than a round off so please stop your judgung....and I'm talking to all of you not just the person quoted here.
Not judging. Just commenting. If you read clearly it says no offense to the OP. I did not say, "the OP is crazy." This is what people do on this forum, they offer suggestions, or peehaps alternatives. And obviously you aren't going to leave it alone, because you still want the mat, even though many people have kindly suggested it might not be a good idea. When you post, you will get all kinds of comments and suggestions. Take the ones you like and disregard the ones you don't. :D

L3 competes a BHS and L5 competes a back tuck. In the gym with coaching, DD's team (competing L4 this winter) works back tucks about once a week so thst they will be ready next year for L5. Her team consists of girls who are 8-13, so they are absolutely teaching them back tucks at 8 and many of those same girls were learning BHSs at 6.
But we all know there is a big difference between CHEER tumbling and GYMNASTICS tumbling.
A Cheer BHS for a 5-6 year old is getting it over and onto the feet (hopefully) ... whereas in gymnastics, we want it to look pretty and be controlled and have a nice landing.
A Cheer BT is a jump in the air, flip the "tuck" (which is any back flip with bent knees no matter how high or low), and land on the feet (again, hopefully).
In cheer tumbling, they don't necessarily work the same progressions that gymnastics does to get to the BHS. So that right there is a BIG difference. Same for the tuck.

The one piece of equipment that has been the most useful for us is the chin up bar. DD can't walk past it without doing a few chin ups, pull ups and leg lifts. Great for gaining strength, no worries about poor form muscle memory and benefits her more in the gym than anything except perhaps her handstand work.

Just this year, now that she is L4 and up training 5 & 6 stuff, coach recommended a chin up bar and we moved our (as us parents use it, well mostly my husband :D) from downstairs to upstairs so our girl will use it.

And our coaches pretty say the same thing. Leave the gymnastics at the gym, but now that they are getting to higher level skills, best things to do at home is condition. And we had the opportunity at our parent practice to video their conditioning with proper form. So core work, like crunches and planks, chin-ups, pull ups, leg lifts, cardio, squats, releves are all OK to practice at home.

They didn't recommend any of this at level 2 or 3 and they are pretty hardcore about the importance of conditioning.

This was the first year, that they sent us a strongly recommended conditioning check list while we were on vacation. When I picked my girl up at practice I told the coach one us parents was going to work out with her. She laughed and said don't get hurt. :p

Time and place for everything. No good usually comes from rushing when it comes to training. Its a marathon, need to pace yourself.

L3 competes a BHS and L5 competes a back tuck. In the gym with coaching, DD's team (competing L4 this winter) works back tucks about once a week so thst they will be ready next year for L5. Her team consists of girls who are 8-13, so they are absolutely teaching them back tucks at 8 and many of those same girls were learning BHSs at 6. You mentioned in another thread that the gyms that train JO compulsory in your area want them young. If you disagree with training those skills young, you should consider whether the path you have your niece on is right for your family.

It's not that we disagree with teaching kids skills, but the kids need to be ready for those skills. I saw them have a girl do a really bad forward roll and then stand her up and have her do a sort of Backbend back handspring hybrid. This kid was 4 years old. The goal of cheer tumbling is to get the back handspring asap. It's different in gym.

The coaches in gym know the progression and when the kid is ready to try it. They'd never try even a spotted one with a kid who can't even do a cartwheel much less one that can't do a forward roll. It's the whole reason my sister left the local program -- too much too soon.

GymAuntie-
I would encourage her mom to discourage bridges at home. We have heard from many an older child whose gymnastics fun was cut short by back injuries, usually from too many bridges. They really can cause long term issues if done too often. Our gym discourages kids from doing bridge practice at home. Now, occassionally showing someone her cool kickover is one thing.

Kids will want to do everything at home! Just this weekend i had to stop my level 9 13 yo son from doing back tucks in the dark on the grass (he was doing multiple in a row...standing...sigh). He understood because we have always had the same restrictions. Showing one..no big deal. Doing lots and lots...a problem.

I forget how old your niece is, but USAG even says no bridges until 5. If I recall, she is 5 (?) but that is just something to note.

We have had a mushroom at home, and paralletes, and a chin up bar. That is it. D doesn't really have time for it at home now anyway.

Just this year, now that she is L4 and up training 5 & 6 stuff, coach recommended a chin up bar and we moved our (as us parents use it, well mostly my husband :D) from downstairs to upstairs so our girl will use it.

And our coaches pretty say the same thing. Leave the gymnastics at the gym, but now that they are getting to higher level skills, best things to do at home is condition. And we had the opportunity at our parent practice to video their conditioning with proper form. So core work, like crunches and planks, chin-ups, pull ups, leg lifts, cardio, squats, releves are all OK to practice at home.

They didn't recommend any of this at level 2 or 3 and they are pretty hardcore about the importance of conditioning.

This was the first year, that they sent us a strongly recommended conditioning check list while we were on vacation. When I picked my girl up at practice I told the coach one us parents was going to work out with her. She laughed and said don't get hurt. :p

Time and place for everything. No good usually comes from rushing when it comes to training. Its a marathon, need to pace yourself.

This makes sense. The old gym recommended a hanging bar so we replaced her old baby swing with one that is a bar with rings below. It's one like you'd find on a swing set. She hangs on it and swings. She doesn't do pull ups yet and I can't imagine that bar would be good for that anyway because it swings.

I think the new gym coaches realize that she's going to want to flip at home because my sister told them that's all she wants to do so they gave a list of the only things they wanted done outside of class. I like having a list because we csn give that to her sitter so she doesnt go crazy out of mom and Mimi's site.

Remember that right now this is still fun for her. She's not competing and in the gym 10 hours a week. She is dying to win a trophy though but what kid doesn't want that? :)

GymAuntie-
I would encourage her mom to discourage bridges at home. We have heard from many an older child whose gymnastics fun was cut short by back injuries, usually from too many bridges. They really can cause long term issues if done too often. Our gym discourages kids from doing bridge practice at home. Now, occassionally showing someone her cool kickover is one thing.

Kids will want to do everything at home! Just this weekend i had to stop my level 9 13 yo son from doing back tucks in the dark on the grass (he was doing multiple in a row...standing...sigh). He understood because we have always had the same restrictions. Showing one..no big deal. Doing lots and lots...a problem.

I forget how old your niece is, but USAG even says no bridges until 5. If I recall, she is 5 (?) but that is just something to note.

We have had a mushroom at home, and paralletes, and a chin up bar. That is it. D doesn't really have time for it at home now anyway.

Thank you. This is very good information. I will let my sister know. It's interesting that the old gym had the preschool girls doing bridges. I wish I had known that sooner. And yes she just turned 5. Will tell my sister to go with cartwheels, rolls, and handstands only.

Remember that right now this is still fun for her. She's not competing and in the gym 10 hours a week. She is dying to win a trophy though but what kid doesn't want that? :)
Lol!! At DD's gym they get ribbons every time they complete a rec session. At a camp day a few months ago they all got a ribbon again too and DD goes "ugh! I have like 9 of these already!" Lol, she's not happy with just ribbons anymore.

Not judging. Just commenting. If you read clearly it says no offense to the OP. I did not say, "the OP is crazy." This is what people do on this forum, they offer suggestions, or peehaps alternatives. And obviously you aren't going to leave it alone, because you still want the mat, even though many people have kindly suggested it might not be a good idea. When you post, you will get all kinds of comments and suggestions. Take the ones you like and disregard the ones you don't. :D

I want the mat so when she's doing rolls and cartwheels she doesn't hurt herself. She's been doing some of this stuff at home for nearly 2 years. It's not going to stop overnight. I understand why a wedge mat might be problematic, and I respect that but a simple floor mat? Please after all you've read here explain to me why that might be a bad idea. I'm happy to consider it as well as ideas for other things to take up the time when she'd normally be flipping. But I'm not the one who can make her stop flipping. Most of the time she's with mom, dad, mimi, or her sitter. If flipping at home is bad then please give me something go take to them to make them stop it and it's not assumptions like next thing you know she'll be doing back handsprings. Statements like that (and I don't think you made it but still) lead to defensiveness.

Lol!! At DD's gym they get ribbons every time they complete a rec session. At a camp day a few months ago they all got a ribbon again too and DD goes "ugh! I have like 9 of these already!" Lol, she's not happy with just ribbons anymore.

That means she's ambitious. That's a good thing. Lol

I tend to tell my kid, no. You can't do that unless you are in the gym because its not safe.
Mine is a pretty good listener, but when she doesn't I usually am able to find a consequence the works.

At our high school get which sport had the most head injuries this year?

Football? No
Soccer? No
Lacrosse? No
Bsaseball? No

Cheerleading. Yep cheerleading.

As 0ur coach says it takes time to "to do gymnastics" and doing gymnastics is very different then doing flips and tricks.

I commented about the BHS and back tucks because OP stated:

teach 5 and 6 year Olds back handsprings which I don't agree with. They teach 7 and 8 year Olds back tucks.

While I understand that cheer coaching is different than gymnastics, I was going off of OP's statement that she disagreed with teaching these skills to young children. Simply pointing out that those ages are not what makes those skills inappropriate.

Try Amazon. We have 2 panel mats and a floor beam. The wedge mat is super expensive and not much use after they learn a bridge kick over. The panel mats will last a while. My kids do stuff at home, but I try to emphasize only having them 'show off' skills they already have well, not skills they are learning. 6YO dd will do BHS in the gym, but she just learned them, so won't do them outside the gym. Older DD is training BHS on beam, so doing a controlled BHS in the living room is less of a big deal.

Mine both did bridges/kick overs in preschool gym and attempted them in the house when they were little. Hope they don't end up with back issues!

I commented about the BHS and back tucks because OP stated:

While I understand that cheer coaching is different than gymnastics, I was going off of OP's statement that she disagreed with teaching these skills to young children. Simply pointing out that those ages are not what makes those skills inappropriate.

I already clarified that it was the method and timing we didn't agree with, but I do appreciate your comments about what skills happen at what level. It helps us get a realistic time frame of what to expect when.

Sadly too many cheer coaches have no clue how to properly teach tumbling. Like the other poster said they want it quicker not prettier. For that I'm actually not sorry she quit cheer.

I want the mat so when she's doing rolls and cartwheels she doesn't hurt herself. She's been doing some of this stuff at home for nearly 2 years. It's not going to stop overnight. I understand why a wedge mat might be problematic, and I respect that but a simple floor mat? Please after all you've read here explain to me why that might be a bad idea. I'm happy to consider it as well as ideas for other things to take up the time when she'd normally be flipping. But I'm not the one who can make her stop flipping. Most of the time she's with mom, dad, mimi, or her sitter. If flipping at home is bad then please give me something go take to them to make them stop it and it's not assumptions like next thing you know she'll be doing back handsprings. Statements like that (and I don't think you made it but still) lead to defensiveness.
Sorry for late reply. The reason I think holding off on a mat would be a good idea is because she has already done cartwheels and rolls for two years without the mat and hasn't hurt herself. This is not being said snarky at all, but judging from your niece's gregarious enthusiasm, a mat will only encourage harder tricks in her mind, because she is still 5. I am not a seasoned veteran on this site, but I have heard enough horror stories on this forum about young children being hurt at home because of their love for gym carrying over into their homes...makes me cringe. All the things you have mentioned do not need a mat. So I would save the expense, and avoid a potential disaster that would bring great sadness.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back