Parents Where would you go ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi,

well, I have a question. If you could pick a gym in the states, like a national training center, where would you put your gymnast in ? We might have plans to move to the States, our daughter is big in gymnastics, going elite…where would you move to ? Just collecting ideas :)

Hi,

well, I have a question. If you could pick a gym in the states, like a national training center, where would you put your gymnast in ? We might have plans to move to the States, our daughter is big in gymnastics, going elite…where would you move to ? Just collecting ideas :)

If gymnastics is influencing your move...then I would get videos to gyms and see what they say.

There are a bunch...here's a few...
  • Chow's
  • GYM-MAX
  • GAGE
  • WOGA
  • CGA
  • AOGC
  • Brestyan's
  • Geddert's
  • MG Elite
  • Parkette's
  • Texas Dreams
There's a bunch more...I'm sure others will add.

There's also Enrique Trabinino's Perfection Gymnastics (former CGA elite coach, runs a good program, very technical and conditioning focused). Of course there tons of other gyms that have coaches capable of elites but I would expect he's looking to expand his relatively newer program and might be likely to accept new students with potential.

It's partially a matter of who has space and will accept. Gyms that had Olympians and Olympic champions have gotten requests from lots of young possible elites and are not necessarily accepting all who are interested. Chow particularly seems to maintain a small and very selective team at all levels (not just his elite group, but even the lower levels). Not sure how old your daughter is, but younger girls 6-9 in the US might be in highly specialized programs but not considered to be "elite" or an international path like the system in some countries. All of these coaches will be looking at whether the child is a good fit for their particular program.

Reactions: JBS
You have TCT and IGI also.

Both of the above gyms do well in JO and NCAA...both seem to be pushing into elite.

If gymnastics is influencing your move...then I would get videos to gyms and see what they say.

There are a bunch...here's a few...
  • Chow's
  • GYM-MAX
  • GAGE
  • WOGA
  • CGA
  • AOGC
  • Brestyan's
  • Geddert's
  • MG Elite
  • Parkette's
  • Texas Dreams
There's a bunch more...I'm sure others will add.

All of these gyms are DRAMATICALLY different in the types of gymnasts they prefer/produce, their training methods (mental and physical), and the inner-progressions inside the gym over the years. Decide if your child has particular strengths and go to a gym that encourages those strengths (do not send a great bar worker to a tumbling gym - do not send a crier to a gym that has zero tolerance). Beware that some of the gyms on this list do not accept kids for their elite program unless they already are elites. Beware that most of the gyms on this list do not have kids train with the elite coaches.

Also decide for yourself if you want a smaller training program or bigger one. Also decide if you want the hopes/tops environment or camp environment, etc. Also decide what you want to do about schooling long term and see if the gym fits with your family expectations.

Once you discover for yourself what is important to you, then match your child/family with the gyms on the above list (plus some others) that suit your situation.

I have found that most elite gyms want kids. I have also found that most elite gyms say that every child will be trained for elite and we'll see how they progress. Realistically, that's the only answer they can give so work hard yourself on finding the right fit for your child.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back