WAG Which skills do you love?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My favorite skill to watch us the Doubje Arabian. Just looks so cool to be.

My Dd no longer does gym, but when she did her walkovers were a pleasure to watch as she had such a beautiful split.

For my Ds it’s hard to pick a favorite skill. He has learned so many new skills over the past year, they are all amazing to watch.

I hope you know who that vault is named after.

I don't, actually. I've never heard it referred to by name. I checked the WAG COP and it doesn't appear to have a name there. Who is it named after?

Edit: do you mean Chuso? I know she performed it, but I don't think it was named after her.

Ah you are right, it is not entered into the FIG code like many others who were first or originated elements. I wonder if it is a case of not submitting or FIG not naming due to some obscure reason.

Possibly two competed it at the same competition, though I don't know who the other would be. Thanks for posting the video, I wasn't aware Trudy McIntosh performed it!

Reactions: sce
Possibly two competed it at the same competition, though I don't know who the other would be. Thanks for posting the video, I wasn't aware Trudy McIntosh performed it!
I found a nice page listing firsts and named skills and it mentioned that Mustafina did not get a vault named after her because it was already in the code despite no one having performed it yet... I would guess that would be the reason, though that seems unfair.

I found a nice page listing firsts and named skills and it mentioned that Mustafina did not get a vault named after her because it was already in the code despite no one having performed it yet... I would guess that would be the reason, though that seems unfair.
Can you link the site? I'm really curious about it now.

I thought it was because she and Tatiana Nabieva performed it at the same competition, so neither had it named after them?

This rule was changed very recently, though: both Nina Derwael and Georgia-Mae Fenton got their new release on bars named (I think it's a Ricna half?). I believe it's called the Derwael-Fenton, but personally I'm calling it the Fentwael, haha.

Womansgymnasticsfirsts.info
Its an impressive collection by a fan, if only the governing body was this good. Look up Collaud on the bar page as another example of getting it wrong.

Oh man, there's a bunch I love to watch, but I'll list some of my favorites.

Vault: any massive vault stuck cold. Maroney's Amanar from the Olympics and Larduet's Dragulescu at Worlds come to mind.

Uneven bars: Shaposhnikova variations always look great, and I love a good, clean Jaeger.

Balance beam: a neat and tidy dance or leap series with smooth connection always makes my day. Aerials, either front or side, as well as gainer style skills, whether on the beam or as a dismount.

Floor exercise: I love seeing 1.5 twisting layout step-outs, and I love the rare 2.5 twisting layout step-outs even more. For the men, I love watching Thomas-style roll out skills. It's a shame they are disallowed now.

Pommel horse: any big extended flare work, or a nice smooth Busnari sequence. I also love watching spindles and consecutive Russians, because they are so insanely difficult.

Still rings: the insane three skill strength move transitions being done nowadays! The beauty of a routine largely full of motionless and statuesque holds (Petrounias comes to mind). A crisp, flat bodied Azarian roll also looks amazing.

Parallel bars: a clean Honma is gorgeous! Also, huge Bhavsars, quick and snappy peaches to handstand, Diamadovs, Healys and Stutzes that pop right up, and a simple back giant with nice flight and bounce at the top.

High bar: pretty much all of high bar! If I had to choose though, I'd go with really dynamic Kovacs-style releases, the stylish one arm giant variations, and when a Takemoto actually shoots right up to perfect handstand. I also love the uncommon German giant swing sequences (think Belyavsky) and the rare Fedorchenko dismount.

fulls. hands down for me. any way the do them (dismount off beam, floor). and the more turns they get the better (double, triple).

I love watching my DD do back/front walkovers because she is so flexi and it looks really cool! I also love seeing a good switch leap, although that is not my DD's forte ;)

I love switch ring leaps, the feeling of throwing your head back with reckless abandon and kicking up your foot up as high as possible. Feels like you're flying!

My favorite skill to watch is a close call between standing fulls on beam or the Nabieva on bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back