Why do bars seem to be hardest event?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it really depends on the gymnast. My DD LOVES BARS, but beam she does but could live without.

I've seen vault cause gymnasts to balk every time they tried to anything on the vault.

I've seend floor cause girls to break into tears.

I think that every gymnast no matter how good they look to us has at least one event that is the event that scares them the most and gives them issues when training.

Pommels is defintily a challenge for most boys but l think it will depend on the gymnast. every boy has an event that just kills them. for boys once that mushroom is gone alot of the pommel issues go too. My son loved pommels and rings the most.

Nicki: Around here it seems that the girls who are lean annd flexible are better at bars and beam, and the girls who are more muscular are better at vault and floor.

Our HC told me the same thing, if you are good at bars, you are good at beam, and same goes for vault and floor. Of course, a gymnast can be good at everything. But like many posters have said, good bar training and form is essential; one I think our gym is lacking. If a gym clearly does not know how to train in bars, is this good reason to switch gyms?

bars is to girls as pommels is to boys...:)

This analogy speaks to me! DD's coach is a male elite gymnast who can do bars so easliy, yet pommel was his nemesis in competition! Dd had great bars at level 4 and 5, but starting with six and swinging while holding your body tight fully extended has presented a number of challenges. Strength, endurance, and fearlessness seem to be the skills most evident in achieving the higher level bars skills.

Our HC told me the same thing, if you are good at bars, you are good at beam, and same goes for vault and floor. Of course, a gymnast can be good at everything. But like many posters have said, good bar training and form is essential; one I think our gym is lacking. If a gym clearly does not know how to train in bars, is this good reason to switch gyms?

Figures...my daughter is a freak. She's good at bars and vault but really struggles with beam and non-tumbling floor.

Mine is a flexy beam/bars girl - at least so far through about Level 8 skills. I'm not sure you can tell a whole lot from how they do in Level 4 though. My dd struggled with beam in compulsories and it was by far her worst event at L4. Last year at L7 it was her best event. I think flexibility is an asset on beam and bars (particularly as you go up in the levels), whereas power and pop are what you need on floor/vault. My dd struggles with vault and tumbling on floor because she is not a fast twitch type.

I would add that my dd is not lean, but muscular and her strongest events are floor and beam, then vault, then bars. I've been worried about her bars for quite a while now but out of sheer determination, she is definitely improving! I'm so proud of her.

Nicki: Around here it seems that the girls who are lean annd flexible are better at bars and beam, and the girls who are more muscular are better at vault and floor.

All you have to do is see Nastia and Shawn standing next to each other to realize that great gymnasts come in all shapes and sizes. I just think some are born with a little extra flexibility or natural strength. I loved how DD's head coach tried to explain it to her -- 'God gave you strength, but he can't give you everything. You have to work at flexibility.' DD still remembers that and it was 3 years ago.

Figures...my daughter is a freak. She's good at bars and vault but really struggles with beam and non-tumbling floor.

I think your daughter just may be my mini-me...

I'm all power, though I'm somehow both very strong and flexible. I'm fortunely not lacking there! Beam and dance on floor are a bit of a struggle, but bars and vault rock for me.

that combination is actually not freakish at all! If she struggles with the dance/gracefulness, that makes perfect sense :) I have seen girls at DD's gym just like this.

Ok I have seen a lot of this good at beam = good at bars

I completely disagree. I am probably strongest/most consistent on my beam but bars, i don't even compete them anymore.

I have noticed that with people who are good at bars they are very good at staying tight and squeezing

Another thing is, tight hamstrings. If they cannot physically make the movement of feet too a bar then they will never be able to do a kip.

I don't think there is a magical build for bars or any other event.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back