WAG Why do they place all the way out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

poodlemomma

Proud Parent
During a meet when they do the all-around award, why do they place all the way out? I understand that we, as parents, think our girls should get something just for competing especially with the amount of money we pay. But those girls who get last place always look crushed.

My daughter's first year of competition, she was switched from (the old) level 3 to level 4 in January. She had less then 4 weeks to learn her new routines. Her first competition at L4, she placed last in the all-around. She cried the entire way home. "Why did you make me switch?... cry" Which we didn't make her, I talked with her and told her she could stay where she was and continue to coast out the year or move up like the coach suggested. That moving up probably wouldn't be pretty for a while, but she would get it. She was super excited to move up.

So anyway, I don't have a problem if they want to give all the girls participation awards. But just don't place them out while giving them that award. What is the point of it?

I agree. In the lower/beginner levels, I like when they do participation medals for girl who didn't place in the top half and call the girls up in random order. I think it is important in those levels to acknowledge their effort. But to make them line up according to place - all the way to last- is so defeating. I think we have been to only a couple meets that did that. Most either only go out 50% or do the participation medals as a group

I am a firm believer that "not everyone gets a trophy". When my DD2 placed last in old level 4, she was only 6 years old and didn't really know any different, she was not upset or embarrassed to be last. Now when my older DD was Level 8 and doing horribly, there were 1-2 meets where they did place out all the way (totally unnecessary for level 8 12 year olds!!) it became a joke between her and her teammate, which one would place "not last".

My DD came in last at a meet last season and was terribly upset before she was called up to the front for awards. She held it together until we got to the car and she lost it. She was already upset about multiple falls on beam, why rub it in during awards?

I agree, we went to a meet a few times (thinking it was Chicago) where 50% meant they were going out to about 20 places. Our girls just laughed, like who the heck wants a medal for 20th place even, let alone 40th! I do get the recognition at the younger ages, for sure. It is motivating and to get the bling. But by optionals it seems a tiny bit silly. Just give out top 6-8 and be done with it. Wrap up those awards so we can go home already!

As an added note, our team always picks one girl to take home any team awards based on who they think deserved it the most, could be any reason: someone who did first meet at new level, sucked up a bad fall, got their highest AA or contributed most to team score. It used to be fun for them and an honor. Now as 9s and 10s, they argue about who HAS to take. It's not that they aren't glad to win something as a team, they just find the actually "carrying home" part annoying. Teenagers...so unimpressed with everything :)

I agree---placing all the way out for AA should just be stopped--the kids know if they earned the medal or not!

And BachFlyer--same here. Girls fight over who has to bring the team trophy home now!

Agree!!! My husband went so far as to say he thought they should only call up 1st-3rd place. I am also of the opinion that they don't need to award placement all the way out in the all around.

I think that it's good they go all the way out for AA. However, it may not be necessary for ALL levels. Maybe stop at L3 or L4. I can't tell you how proud my DD was at her very first (old L3) meet. She was a 5yo kindergartener and showed anyone who would look, her 10AA medal. She was so proud of it! S
It's really hard to explain to the little ones why some girls get 4 medals, and they're walking away with nothing.

That being said, I am NOT a fan of "everyone wins a trophy," but a little encouragement at the lower levels is special.

I actually like that they place all the way out! With so many participation ribbons given out these days, I think it is a good way for everyone to get something, but know where they stand.

We have had to explain that sometimes your place isn't an indication of your personal improvement. My daughter has scored her personal bests, and placed 5th, even though she placed first at almost every other meet.

She just competed Level 1 last year, which is very common where we live- and look at the pride in these eyes!

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1405695774.645566.jpg

This must be a USA thing, the highest out I have ever seen them go is 8th at all our meets - medals for 1-3, and ribbons for 4-8. Its great until the higher levels when sometimes there are less than 8 girls competing.

Perhaps it's a regional thing.... Some of the meets we went to last season placed all the way out, some didn't. One meet we went to only placed top 6 and there were around 30 girls in each age group..! Lots of meets seemed to place about half of the girls, and some placed all the way down. DD competed L4.
I actually like when they only place the top however many, it makes it more of an accomplishment to place. My DD isn't a top scorer so it felt really good to her the times she did well and placed. :)

This must be a USA thing, the highest out I have ever seen them go is 8th at all our meets - medals for 1-3, and ribbons for 4-8. Its great until the higher levels when sometimes there are less than 8 girls competing.

It is a USA thing - and one of the reasons their meet fees are so high, we only do medals 1-3 and sometimes ribbons 4-6, much quicker and when they get a medal they are really prized

In our district, we place the top 12 in each event and All Around. Except at Championships ($35 meet fee) and Invitationals ($30 meet fee), the girls get ribbons for all placements. Championships, they get medals for the events & AA and trophies for participation. The team placements are usually big Ribbons for top 3 teams... but at Championships, they get team trophies. We don't often compete at the Invitational in our district due to when it falls, but they also do medals and trophies.

I definately think it's more of a regional US thing vs. the whole US. My daughter is going level 8 this year and has never been to a meet where they go out more than 50% of the places, and typically it's closer to 33% of the places. To me it seems odd too, and ultimately demoralizing for the kids to be called out for a low AA placement.

In my area, only coaches get scores/placements for girls under 9. The girls get a certificate with Gold/Silver/Merit stickers for each event and all around based on their score. At some invitational meets everyone gets participation medals in addition to the certificate.

I like this system :) the younger girls learn to love competitions without the pressure of placing.

For boys, the provincial qualifier meets and Provincials only place the first 8. Last year at Provincials they had over 60 competitors in my son's category and still only gave medals/ribbons to the first 8. Most boys go home with nothing. I'm also ok with this system.

At one meet I did awful feel and missed my connection on beam, and floor didn't go well either because I had sprained my ankle a week before. When awards where do they said if you didn't receive a metal come get one, I left and my teammate got it. I would have been mortified to get it.

But also one time at state I got dead last, state was the only meet I had compete so I really didn't care what I got I was just happy to be there, my dad has a picture of me with the biggest smile on my face.

Depends on the situation and kid, I absolutely hate that participation metal but the one I got from being dead last is in front of all my other metals

I think that it's good they go all the way out for AA. However, it may not be necessary for ALL levels. Maybe stop at L3 or L4. I can't tell you how proud my DD was at her very first (old L3) meet. She was a 5yo kindergartener and showed anyone who would look, her 10AA medal. She was so proud of it! S
It's really hard to explain to the little ones why some girls get 4 medals, and they're walking away with nothing.

That being said, I am NOT a fan of "everyone wins a trophy," but a little encouragement at the lower levels is special.

I think when they are in kindergarten, they are more excited about the bling and don't have as much awareness of placement, so I agree with you there. I just felt really bad for one little girl I saw at state meet who placed last in the AA. She looked like she was around 8 or so, and she looked so dejected to have placed last.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back