WAG Will judges watch video if they miss something during the routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In a thread in the parent forum about videotaping meets, someone mentioned that they videotape the whole team in case the judge misses something in their routine. Will judges actually watch a video of a routine if the judge says the gymnast didn't do xyz and the coach says they did?

I'm curious because twice judges have missed stuff in my routines. The judges who missed just one thing refused to watch a videotape and just said too bad, it's only a few tenths! The judge who missed a huge chunk of my routine (how does that even happen?) made me compete twice because she missed so much!

For the most part, judges will NOT watch amateur video of a routine and change their score. Your coach can submit an inquiry on the score. I don't know if there is any way to get them to watch the video... it would set a really bad precedent.

Actually, I learned recently that at some meets (can't remember for certain, but I think it's regionals and above) that you can submit a video to the judges . I'm not totally clear on all the details, it wasn't pertinent information to me at the time I learned it, but I did think it was interesting. Anyhow, judges don't supply the video, has to come from a coach or parent or whatnot, but has to be submitted through the coach.

I was told this by a judge in our region.

I did not think that judges were allowed to watch the video.......that being said, I do think that when a coach submits an inquiry and states that I have video of XX and it clearly shows XYZ that the judge thinks twice about it......maybe the judge thinks they must seriously Believe what they are inquiring about if they would produce the video if needed. ****No idea if the fact that a video exists really sways a judge in their decision, but it SEEMS to make them re-consider on a few occasion ;)

MAG has it in the rules:
G. Videotape Review:
There is no videotape review of routine performance for any score evaluation in the Men’s
Junior Olympic Age Group Competition Program.

Last year at L9 regionals, the judges requested a review/video of my daughter's bar routine. I do not know who videotaped the routine and/or whose video. I was not there as my husband took my daughter, so I do not know the particulars. But it is my understanding that there was a plant partially blocking the area where my daughter landed her dismount. The judges where not sure if she hit her knees on the matt upon landing. Her initial score was a 9.375. But after reviewing the video it was determined she did hit her knees and her final score was a 8.875. o_O I asked my daughter and she was somewhat laughing because she said she nearly landed on all fours because her knees gave out from under her upon landing for not having tumbled or very little practice in 6 weeks. She was coming back from an injury. But looks like they, the judges, do if they have the need.

Actually, I learned recently that at some meets (can't remember for certain, but I think it's regionals and above) that you can submit a video to the judges . I'm not totally clear on all the details, it wasn't pertinent information to me at the time I learned it, but I did think it was interesting. Anyhow, judges don't supply the video, has to come from a coach or parent or whatnot, but has to be submitted through the coach.

I was told this by a judge in our region.

no. video submitted is for new skills not yet named/performed and value.

I did not think that judges were allowed to watch the video.......that being said, I do think that when a coach submits an inquiry and states that I have video of XX and it clearly shows XYZ that the judge thinks twice about it......maybe the judge thinks they must seriously Believe what they are inquiring about if they would produce the video if needed. ****No idea if the fact that a video exists really sways a judge in their decision, but it SEEMS to make them re-consider on a few occasion ;)

no. no video evaluation is allowed.

And further, our coach told us last year (on the men's side) that he could only challenge start value, not execution. He was, at the time, madder than a hornet about a score at a meet.

4thelove of sports,

no. no video can be used. if they did, they broke the rules.

And further, our coach told us last year (on the men's side) that he could only challenge start value, not execution. He was, at the time, madder than a hornet about a score at a meet.

same as the women. :)

I thought this was new in this year's Rules & Policies (just published), page 37: "At state meets and above, a coach can request a video review by the Meet Referee (if video is available) in the event the inquiry involves the possibility that the judges missed an element that would affect the Start Value." However, looking at last year's R&P, it was there as well. I have never seen it done. Go figure ...

4thelove of sports,

It did surprise me when they told me this. It did not make sense. But my daughter's score card showed a higher score scratched out and replaced with a lower score. Now, may I ask what would or could have happened in this case? There were plants on both sides of the landing mat. My daughter landed right on the spot where the plants blocked the view of the judges. If the judges did not see the landing, what would/could they do? If a video was not used, could they ask any person who might have seen the landing? Could another coach have complained and since the judges did not see the landing, they just complied with the complaint. Again, I was not there so I don't know exactly what happened.

It did surprise me when they told me this. It did not make sense. But my daughter's score card showed a higher score scratched out and replaced with a lower score. Now, may I ask what would or could have happened in this case? There were plants on both sides of the landing mat. My daughter landed right on the spot where the plants blocked the view of the judges. If the judges did not see the landing, what would/could they do? If a video was not used, could they ask any person who might have seen the landing? Could another coach have complained and since the judges did not see the landing, they just complied with the complaint. Again, I was not there so I don't know exactly what happened.

What a smart judge here does is ask that the plants be moved out of the way so they do not obstruct the view, before any routines are competed. As a judge, if it wasn't being done, I would go move it myself.

4thelove of sports,

They just changed it recently. Just for states and up. But it's supposed to be like if they missed a Dance connection or something, not for execution deductions. Maybe since it was new the judges didn't use it right. But I would think the judges at regionals and up would know. I've never seen it done yet. I thought it was new for this year too.

I saw it happen a few years ago. It was b/c the judges missed a start value skill. Not my child so I don't have the details. But I also know there have been a few other times when judges have refused despite missing a skill that affected start value.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back