Woodward

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
I am going, with my team, to Woodward this summer. It is my first time going...can anyone tell me what to expect? On the day that they do evaluations, what do you have to show them? I am worried for that, because I "forgot" how to twist on floor and am having problems with it, so I don't want to be placed in a lower group because I wouldn't be able to show them twisting (unless I get it back in time, which I hopefully will!). I am really excited and nervous at the same time, so I just want to know what all I should expect and extra things that I might forget about bringing. :)

Yes this would be helpful! I'm going this summer for the first time as well!

What week will you be going?
I'm going week 5.

I'll be there week 5 as well.

Usually, if they group you and it becomes clear you don't fit in your group, they're happy to switch you to a different group. I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT: I want to preemptively say: if you want to meet me at camp, please DO NOT PM me to arrange such a meeting. I'll be the guy with the big bushy blond hair (unless I cut it between now and then), probably spending a lot of time playing around on rings and trampoline when I'm not busy coaching; any gymnasts, coaches, or parents who see me at camp and want to introduce themselves are welcome to, but I can't arrange any such meetings beforehand, especially via private message.

EDIT 2: and to clarify, I'll be at the one in PA.

Last edited:
at WW West for evals they do floor and bars. basically you show what you can do safely without a spot on those 2 events. they ask you what vault you last competed and what you are traing.also what was the last level you competed. if you feel like you are in a group that is below you skill level and is not working on stuff that you want to you can ask the directors and they will happyily change you. also if your coach is going then they will help make sure you are in the right group.
ETA: didnt see the bottom part of your question. umm water bottle!! unless you want to buy one there. you dont nessicarily need diff leos and shorts for each day cause you can wash them in the sink the first couple days and where them again. extra food as long as you have baggies to put them in if you are a picky eater. or if you get hungrey easily and are on a tight budget spending wise. helpful tip plan out what you might want to buy each say so you dont bring to much money or not enough. for example i am think of limiting myself to $8 a day for extra food etc. then $5 for a WW water bottle, $10 for a license plate(for autographs) and $8for a picture. and like an extra $10 incase i go over on a couple days or need to buy chapstick,razor, etc.

ok to expand on the packing list part.
gym stuff:
i only have 4 leos so that is all im bringing i would bring around 8-10 more if you arent going to wash them.
probably all you shorts
sports bras uhh a lot.LOL
workout tops(the tight ones that you are abled to get spotted in if you have any)
grips
tape/pre wrap
any braces
any ointments or creams

clothing:
tanktops
shorts(jean and like pe shorts)
1 light jacket 1 heavy jacket(some nights get cold if you keep the ac on high and get cold etc.)
a couple pairs of jeans
sweats(for those lazy nights hehe)
bathing suits
socks
any kind or tops(depds on how dressed up you normally get it can be t shirts or nicer shirts your choice i would bring some of both)
1 nicer outfit for the dance(dont know if they have one at PA)
undergarments

shoes:
sandles
1 pair of vans or tennis shoes

toiletries:
sunscreen
chapstick
toothbrush
toothpaste
brush
hair ties
clips
aloe if you get burned easily
make up if you wear it
shampoo
conditioner
body wash
razor

helpful tips:
*you can split things with your teammates. like if 2 of you both you the same brand of shampoo and conditioner one could bring the shampoo one could bring the conditioner.
*only pack what you need because you never know how far you cabin is going to be and you dont want to have to carry a super heavy bag
*sleeping stuff. i bring a sheet, a thin blanket(the best arent super comfy and gives you another layer to keep you warm),a comforter and a pillow. it says a sleeping bag but i like a comforter better it is your choice)
*2 towels. if you take a shower then going swimming it isnt fun when you have a wet towel and cant dry off so i bring 2.
*another thing you can share. one person can bring the hair dryer, one a curling iron, and one the starightner so all of you dont bring all of them
*extra food. it is always helpful to have some goldfish, beef jerky,candy, and power bars on hand
*water bottle
thats all i can think of at the moment. hope it helps some

Don't sweat the evals- you tell them your level and what you're working on then they ask you to show one or two skills. They are happy to move you and if you are going with your team you will have workouts with your team in addition to the other workouts. DD was level 8 when she went last year and I think she had to show a clear hip circle and a RO-FF-LO.

Extra towels are always a good idea, two swimsuits if you don't like putting on wet ones, and snacks/Gatorade to keep in the cabin so you don't have to spend all your money on the little stuff. There is always plenty of food at the mealtimes, but the snack bar is a little pricey in my opinion. You can also drive go carts and go horesback riding, and sometimes there are other special projects, which cost extra. DD usually spent some $$ on the go carts and one year she bought a skateboard deck to paint/ design in the workshop.

I was a cabin mom last year at woodward in PA and it was fun! Don't worry about the evals, if I remember correctly they asked the girls what level they were and had them show their hardest skill on floor. Took about 5 minutes. They moved girls freely that had been grouped wrong. I would bring lots of leos, bathing suits, shorts, etc. Bring tennis shoes as there could be a lot of walking and if you want to horseback ride or do the ropes course you have to have them. Definitely pack snacks. The canteen is overpriced, junk food. The cafateria times are limited. I wish we were going again, it was so fun to be there with my daughter, we still talk about it and remember it.

Don't worry about the testing because most of the coaches are nice about it. I go to woodward in PA so this is what I have done before. You do bars and floor and then tell them the vault you competed and what level you are. For bars I usually test a freehip or try a cast handstand. For floor I think I have done FHS - FT. They asked to see my back tumbling too, but since I had a mental block I told them I was capable of doing a layout but needed a coach to stand there. They said to not worry about it and just marked it off. The coaches and the director are always good about moving people if they are not in the right group after the first day.

Don't forget grips, or any braces you use. I usually bring 8-10 leos because you have multiple workouts so days when you are really sweaty, sometimes it is nice to use a different leo at night. Bring jeans if you want to go horseback riding and you also should bring sneakers for the ropes corse and horseback riding. For bedding I bring a sheet, blanket, pillow and sleeping bag. If you have more than one bathing suit bring it and having two towels is also a good idea. You should bring food for snacks because the ones in the canteen are kinda expensive; a refillable water bottle too. I would also bring sweats and a seatshirt or two, plus the shorts, t-shirts and tanks, and toiletries. I also bring one outfit for the dance, and 3 pairs of flip flops (everyones gets mixed up pretty easily in the gym and I have lost a few pairs over the year so having extra pairs is a good idea). And I almost forgot ... I usually bring anywhere between $60- $100 for the store, go-karts, and horseback riding.

LEAVING IN A WEEK!!! Well...less than a week!!
I'm super excited!!!

What do you all suggest packing 'in'? Like a laundry basket i've heard. A regular suitcase?
Should you bring a little basket or bag for toiletries?

I'm so jealous!!! I'm already making plans for Woodward West next summer! Hopefully I will be able to be a counselor and then I would get to train for free...but I'm saving up just in case! I think it's especially important for adult gymnasts to have specific goals since our classes aren't always very focused, and I already have a list of skills I want to have before I go to Woodward next year :] I never went away to camp when I was younger and I really wish I could have because I know I would have absolutely LOVED it. It's so great that adults are allowed at Woodward so I'll be able to do everything I wish I could have done earlier!

Hope everyone has fun at camp this summer, and let us all know how it goes :]

I want to preemptively say: if you want to meet me at camp, please DO NOT PM me to arrange such a meeting. I'll be the guy with the big bushy blond hair (unless I cut it between now and then), probably spending a lot of time playing around on rings and trampoline when I'm not busy coaching; any gymnasts, coaches, or parents who see me at camp and want to introduce themselves are welcome to

All of this still applies except the part about the big bushy blond afro -- I got it buzzed. So if you see a guy who looks like this (<-- that's a link) but with a buzz cut, that's me, I'll be there week 5, and you're welcome to come up and introduce yourself.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back