WAG Working through optional skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In upper-level optionals, how much time should a coach give the acquisition of a new to "newish' skill before giving up on the skill altogether and moving on towards another "option" to fulfill a requirement?

In this case, specifically, a pak vs a bail or a "C" bar dismount that leads nowhere vs a double-back dismount.

My dd tends to pick up skills and decent form relatively quickly. My impression is that when she actually struggles on a skill her primary coach loses patience, gives up on the skill and finds something else she can do....after all, it's called optionals for a reason. But I'm trying hard to trust that switching out these two skills is in her best interest, I just can't get myself on board, particularly on that dismount.
Impossible to say. As a coach we can tell if a child is getting a trick (Pak vs Bail) or not. In that case we move on. And the factors involved in those decisions are pretty wide open. Nothing wrong with a variety of dismounts either. Just wait until its time to learn the Major, they may have to switch that a few times as well. Happens. :)

Just wait until its time to learn the Major, they may have to switch that a few times as well. Happens. :)

^^^^hahaha....okay I get it, but it took me a minute.

I actually YouTube'd "major dismount". The only thing that came up was, "Major gymnastics fail"... yes it was, and good point. Perspective, right? Thank you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back