Worried for my little bird!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NewtoGym

Proud Parent
My little girl has her first meet ever this Sun (level 3) and I am worried for her. Everything was going great up until last week when she had a fall of the beam. Now she won't do her handstand or handstand dismount on the beam. She doesn't want to do her split jump either. She actually started to cry at practice! It broke my heart. I told her that this is fun (she is only 6) and if it isn't fun she doesn't have to do it, but she was insistant on continuing and told me that she LOVES gymnastics. I don't know what is going to happen this weekend and am worried for her. I want her to be able to enjoy this and not be nervous, but not sure how to help her. Any suggestions? She also does not have her stride circle yet, and is upset that she doesn't have this for the meet. She is a sweet, but emotional child and tends to be hard on herself. My poor little bird! lol

Just keep positive and tell her how much fun she is going to have and how excited you are to see her compete. I am sure she will have fun at the meet and forget about everything else.

Good luck to your little sweetie! Before the meet, tell her how excited you are to see her and how much fun it will be! Tell her to have fun and that it doesn't matter if she does her handstand...that she will still be great! Maybe put a special little stuffed animal in her bag for luck! Take her out for ice cream or something special afterwards, and focus on the positive things she did at the meet. Talk about how much fun you had watching her!!!!!! Fun, fun, fun, focus on the fun!!

My DD is also 6 and has her first "big" L4 meet this weekend. She also does not have her stride/mill circle. They will eventually get it...they have plenty of time! Good luck to your DD!!

Awww poor little thing--falls can be very scary sometimes. If she is still nervous and hesitant to try these skills on her own at the meet, maybe talk to the coach and see if the coach can spot her on these skills at the meet. She may get a slight deduction, but at least your dd will try and attempt the skill if she knows she has a supportive hand helping her. Level 3 should be FUN, so let your little one know that it is no big deal and EVERYONE gets scared once in a while and may need help along the way. Good luck to your little one and I will send all the good luck fairies your way!

Is there any older gymnast that she looks up to that can chat with her? My daughter was nervous when she started struggling with the BHS before the 1st competition (she was also hit or miss on the front hip circle). I asked one of the older girls to have a chat with her for reassurance and it seemed to help. Hope she has a lot of fun!

I am right there with you as my dd (also 6, L3) has her first meet on 2/11! She is already nervous. She has her mill circle (not always consistent) and has never fallen on beam but is timid with the handstand. I've been trying to also focus on the fun and keep stressing that's it's ok if she falls etc...we don't care about the score!

I think she just needs one meet under her belt and she'll realize how fun it is to compete. Also, her coaches did say they can spot the handstand and the mill circle if need be. She joined a new gym in December so has not had a lot of work on the L3 routines.

I'm sure your dd will do great! Let us know how it goes! Oh, a special treat for the first meet never hurts either :)

I think you've gotten good advice. Have you spoken with her coach and asked them how they plan on handling beam if she is reluctant? Sometimes having the coach spot will help put the nerves/fears aside. She may just get caught up in the excitement and go for beam with no help. Hugs before and after always help.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the great advice. There will be no scores and everyone is getting a trophy so it should be a fun event. I finally found out why she was so worried about not wanting to try her handstands...The HC told the team if no one fell off the beam there would be an ice cream party! I think she was scared that she would be the one that falls and then no party for everyone!!! poor thing! Wish us luck. Her first meet is this Sunday. I think it will be a fun, special day and then we will go out to celebrate! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back