Coaches Worried, Nervous, Excited...etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

FlyHigh10

Hey everyone, I just wanted to get some advice or feedback of any kind...
I want to start coaching at a local gym. I know they need help (they only have two coaches right now). I have been involved in this sport literally since I could walk so I feel like I have a lot to offer. I am however very worried. I'm worried about spotting... I have done it before but it just seems so different when you are a gymnast helping another gymnast. I'm worried that I am going to get out there and have all of these girls waiting for me to tell them what to do and show them how to do it and I am just going to go blank.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else felt worried when you started coaching...?

Last edited by a moderator:
I started coaching preschool gymnastics at my DD and stepDD's gym. I was soooo nervouse because I have never taken gymnastics nor am in the greatest shape (Plus, I am old -40!) I was really also nervous about spotting the kids but I found it easier and easier to spot and I found that almost 2 years of watching the girls on team has given me a lot more knowledge and understanding of gymnastics skills/techniques than even I had thought. You will do fine - go for it! :)

lol no, you won't go blank! :) The great part is even if you do draw a momentary blank, kids are AMAZING at filling in the silence haha! The stuff you had trouble with may actually be the easiest for you to teach. You'll remember all the things your coaches did to help you out and be able to pass it on. Talk to the other coaches and find out how they teach skills if you find you are coming up short with drills or whatever, we all like to talk about what works for us, and we've all been there!

My only other advice is be careful about showing the kids stuff yourself. When I first started I'd show what I wanted to see. After 4-6 hours of coaching and doing the same stuff without the benefit of a selfish thorough warm-up I'd feel random minor aches. Just grab a kid to show the others what you want to see, it's great practice for spotting and easier on your body!

Good luck with your new job, you'll be great!

I think you should go for it. I teach 3 preschool classes at DD's gym. I also help with L3&4 and rec classes sometimes. You will be surprised at what you know.

Like Linsul, I will grab a team girl to demonstrate. Easier than my old body doing it, and the team girls love to do it.

Flyhigh, speaking from being a person who had never done or coached gymnastics before I got involved and then ended up being asked to run a club after only a few months, the best advise I can give you is don't try to bluff and always do only what you have thought through. ie if you are not sure about spotting something on the night... don't. Wait to see other coaches, go & visit another gym if there aren't experienced coaches where you are or go home and think it through. The gymnasts will respect you for ensuring their safety. Also if the gymnast needs spotting and you don't feel comfortable, do more lead up drills that they are safe doing but not yet mastering that night so it gives you more time and the gymnasts are still getting closer to the goal of doing the trick.

I also think you shouldn't ever put too much pressure on yourself. There are going to be times when you will see straight away what the problem isand will know drills and progressions that will help fix it but there will be times when you just don't know what is not quite right. I still feel the need sometimes to satisfy myself & the gymnast by having to say something each attempt. Sometimes if it doesn't happen in your mind say nothing. (Coaches I once worked with used to put their hand under their chin, tilt their head to one side and pretend they were deeply in thought about the many solutions they were cooking up when really they were really thinking "Gee I hope no one notices that I haven't figured this one out yet") Maybe ask the gymnast what they felt and what do they see as the ideal model rather than tell them anything when you don't really have anything to say.

Being a gymnast previously is a great benefit but teaching requires a lot of different skills. Minimise the amount you demonstrate. Use it as a latter resort if you can't find other ways maybe. I cannot do anything my gymnasts do AND THEY KNOW IT and often rib me but if you end up coaching in your fifties like I am, your body just won't cope if you rely on demos. Start learning the art of setting up progressive drills, using words and your hands to shape.

MOST OF ALL ...........HAVE FUN, BE HUMAN and ENJOY!!!!!
Wal

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else felt worried when you started coaching...?

Worried when I started coaching? Nah. THe gym I trained in taught the teenaged gymnasts how to coach, so there was always a supply of spotters & subs for rec classes, & several of us paid our own tuition teaching lower level classes.

Worried when I had my very own group of compulsories who had been "all mine"? Oh heavens yes. But they were fine, I was fine, and you & your gymnasts will be fine too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back