Parents Would you talk to owner?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eagleperson

Proud Parent
Wondering if anyone thinks this is something that is worth talking to the gym owner about...

My daughter's Xcel Gold (and up) team practices one night a week on their own and one night with the Bronze/Silver group. For the past month or more the gym's level 4 coach has either not come to the practice that is scheduled at the same time as the Xcel group, or has come for the last hour only. So, the level 4s and the Golds are working together with the Xcel coach and assistant. There is currently no assistant for the 4s---I am not sure what happened to her.

This ends up being about eight Xcel girls plus about eight or ten 4s. It is really not a huge group for the two coaches. But while there is some skill overlap and of course they can do various rotations, strength training, etc together (and though my daughter really likes a lot of the 4s who she has competed with) it is not an ideal situation for the coaches or either team.

I have been assuming there are extenuating circumstances for the level 4 coach though I have heard various reasons (from the gymnasts, other parents, the Xcel coach) as to why she is not showing up one night a week. I am also assuming this is temporary but my daughter is getting very frustrated and feels her own time in practice is being cut in half because there are twice as many girls (and because in some ways the JO and the Xcel teams just operate differently). I have of course told her to be patient, deal with it, etc etc. But then the other day she said she would rather miss that night of practice next week in favor of another activity that would normally not be as important to her as gym.

Is this something that you would talk to the owner about? Again, I have to assume they realize this is less than ideal for all the girls and coaches but it seems like maybe it should be addressed (either with just a conversation with parents to let them know about this fundamental change or with some sort of plan).

Or, would you just let it play out?

Otherwise we totally love our gym...

Thanks for reading this long post!

One coach for 16-18 kids doesn't sound like enough at those levels. I'd ask what's going on like others have said above. Then if the answer is something eluding to it being a long term situation, then I'd complain and tell other parents what I was told in case they wanted to do the same.

One coach for 16-18 kids doesn't sound like enough at those levels. I'd ask what's going on like others have said above. Then if the answer is something eluding to it being a long term situation, then I'd complain and tell other parents what I was told in case they wanted to do the same.

It is actually the coach and the assistant for the combined group but still...

Thanks for your reply.

I think it's fine to ask but a 1:8-10 ratio is very common or even small. So I wouldn't expect that they'll hire another coach if there is some good reason the level 4 coach can't come that day. I think there should be a plan in place of course to keep practices running smoothly.

I think it's fine to ask but a 1:8-10 ratio is very common or even small. So I wouldn't expect that they'll hire another coach if there is some good reason the level 4 coach can't come that day. I think there should be a plan in place of course to keep practices running smoothly.
Yeah. The ratio is not so bothersome, it is really the uncertainty. I imagine the level 4 folks are wondering what the deal is as well.
Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back