WAG Wrist Guard Question - Waterproof Option

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
I looked back at old threads and saw a lot of discussion on Tiger Paws v. Golden Hands brands which helped a lot. I'm not even sure if Golden Hands has this option, but Tiger Paws has waterproof and non-waterproof. The comments on the website said that the waterproof are less slippery and better for beam. Any thoughts or experience on the waterproof v. non-waterproof? DD mainly wants them for discomfort on beam. Thanks as always.

Hmmm never even heard of waterproof. My dd used the regular tiger paws for everything but bars. Has she tried taping her wrists?

Hmmm never even heard of waterproof. My dd used the regular tiger paws for everything but bars. Has she tried taping her wrists?

She hasn't tried taping, but I have a feeling she wouldn't be very diligent about it (too much work :rolleyes:). The main reason I noticed the waterproof difference is the pink Nastia version doesn't come in waterproof and I'm trying to understand the difference. I'd prefer to try Golden Paws with the lower price.

Must be a newer product. I hate Tiger Paws on beam, thus I used to tape my wrists for that event. My hands have never slipped off beam except when wearing Tiger Paws and it got old. but I've noticed recently more reusable wraps designed to mimic tape. Probably need a lot of re-tightening. But then so do Tiger Paws and tape loosens too.

Example: http://www.ten-o.com/TENO-Gym-lastic-Wrist-Wrap,653.html?b=d*14660

or

http://www.ten-o.com/Compression-Wrist-Wrap,2613.html?b=d*14660

And men wear a kind like this a lot, but they're not common on the girl's side: http://www.ten-o.com/TENO-Hyper-Wrist-Support,964.html

Waterproof is for divers

The comments on the Tiger Paws website (from someone who is clearly associated with Tiger Paws) indicate that even though they were originally designed for divers, many gymnasts use the waterproof because they skid less. That's why I asked the question -- trying to determine if anyone has actually used this variety for gymnastics (and beam in particular). Seems like no one has heard

Like I said, it seems pretty new in gymnastics marketing. I had never heard about it. I just went to the website and it indeed says "new" before the description. I can't really say for sure. But I can say that the Tac-10 material (basketball looking) vaults and springboards were originally marketed and believed to be non-skid, would not become slick as fast. But truthfully they will eventually get the non-skid covering worn down after heavy use. So I am not sure. Gymnasts put most things through heavy friction use and while I can imagine these might slip less the first couple months compared to regular ones, I do think you'll be replacing them fairly frequently to maintain those properties. It won't be a one time purchase in other words. And it's not just slipping, I do find it harder to grip the beam the way I would prefer with the design of Tiger Paws.

Don't get me wrong, I think EVERY gymnast should be using them for yurchenkos, and many for tumbling too. In particular you said in another thread your daughter has a weak bridge and possible shoulder and hip flexor tightness, this could be putting even more strain on her wrists, so I would definitely advise for floor and vault ASAP. For beam, maybe it will be okay for her, maybe not. It's a pretty individual thing, I can tell you a few high level gymnasts use them on this event, and in my experience, more do not. But I obviously haven't run a large scale study on that, could be wrong. In the sense that I think your daughter will probably need them, in addition to exercises to target increasingly flexibility and strength in the wrists, I don't think it would be a wasted purchase...you just might need another solution for beam.

My daughter uses skids for beam and floor.. The team uses tiger paws on vault if needed.

Sorry about my ignorance - but are skids the same as the waterproof wrist guards (maybe a different brand)? I was debating whether to get 2 types for different apparatus.

Gymdog - thank you for your well thought response. I find that a certain point even grips get too slippery for DD (say twice a year) - not sure if that's normal or not. I always have wondered -- can the slippery state be reversed for both grips or paws? Also, I found a place that has PTs and fitness trainers that focus on flexibility. We'll see how that goes.

I plan on asking DD's coaches for their thoughts as well, I but always like to have a little background before I ask something really stupid. :oops:

I know we use them instead of taping.. My daughter said they are very comfortable..They are very fitted and you can adjust the amount of support with inserts.. Maybe our coach recommends tham cause they are washable.. They stink after a few weeks....There is nothing that goes on their hands only wrist support so there is no issue with them getting slippery.

Also, I found a place that has PTs and fitness trainers that focus on flexibility. We'll see how that goes.

Really glad to hear that! Keep us updated. I'm glad you're being proactive with injury prevention at this point in her gymnastics journey.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back