Parents Wrist injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L5mw

Proud Parent
My dd hurt her wrist at practice. She didn't hurt that bad but took her to doc and ot turns out she fractured her growth plate in the wrist. My question is can she come back from that? Doc says of course she can but I just wonder. The look on her coaches faces didn't give me that impression. Middle of meet season amd she's pretty disappointed.

I just did a lot of research on this topic, because my DD broke her arm, but I really thought it was going to be her wrist based on the way she landed. From what I read online, fractures of the growth plate are tricky and need to be treated carefully, but they CAN heal properly. She may need a good bit of time off, though, because so much of what gymmies do involves significant wrist movement and pressure on the wrists. Did you take her to a pediatric orthopedist? Did they say anything about surgery or PT or follow-ups as she heals?

I'm sorry! My dd had a break right before meet season and is trying to come back from it. I think as long as you are very careful and let it have the time to heal properly it should be fine.

....... The look on her coaches faces didn't give me that impression. Middle of meet season amd she's pretty disappointed.......

Were you expecting them to high five and celebrate?

I've had a few kids with growth plate fractures and understand that the big deal is to get them evaluated as soon as possible. The reason is growth plates can begin to heal within a few days, and there can be complications if the proper diagnosis is delayed. So if you'd assumed it was a sprain, lets say Thursday, and treated it with ice and compression, kept her out of practice until Monday, but then found out it still hurt enough to take her to a doc on Tuesday....... well then she may have already started to heal, and done so with the plate miss aligned.

Follow the doctors treatment plan and have her start back slowly to allow her wrist to strengthen before using it in full force gymnastics.

No I didn't expect anything joyous from them. What I was hoping for is guidance from them. I am sure they've seen this before and have knowledge of some outcomes. I will be very cautious with her going back and will definitely listen to the doctor and request PT for her. I always get a kick out of your posts and your humor:) thanks always for your input. You have helped us out on other occasions too:)

Yep it was a pediatric ortho. He made it sound like it was no big deal and she'd be fine. He said its a widening at the growth plate which they treat as a fracture because they can't see cartlage on an xray and I guess that's what the growth plate is there. So happy to have this forum:-D. Thanks

I have seen both good and bad results from this. My daughter hurt hers Superbowl weekend. Fractured both growth plates and injured the tendon. 3 meets into the season. 6 months later, 2 casts, 1 cortizone shot into the wrist with a month of immobilization (no writing even) she could use it without pain. She was forced to retire because her wrist could not handle the impact anymore.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back