WAG Xcel Competition Leotard Sleeve Length

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym, team all the same from L2 to L9/10. That way you are not changing just because your level changes. This includes, bags, warm ups and leos.

Leos will get passed down as kids outgrow. Warmups and bags are personalized so no passing down.

Leos are 3/4 Sleeves.

we are in region 6 and I only saw one gym with tanks at bronze. Everyone else we competed against had long sleeve from bronze up.

Region 4 here and I am not sure I have seen many long sleeve Leo's for Xcel. My girls will do long sleeve once the hit platinum and diamond. My silvers and golds wear Tank Leo's.

For areas where the girls do wear tank leos for even silver and gold, what equivalent jo level would those girls be? Around here silver is normally equal to level 3/4 and gold is usually girls who are about level 5. I can't imagine having those girls not get to get a "fancy" competition Leo.

All things being equal, now that my DD has had a tank comp leo and a 3/4 sleeve, she wishes she could go back to the tanks (she can't) for comforts sake. She loves the beautiful long sleeve and 3/4 comp leos, and even browses leos online like normal girls browse jeans or prom gowns, but she says nothing says comfort like a tank. ;-)

All things being equal, now that my DD has had a tank comp leo and a 3/4 sleeve, she wishes she could go back to the tanks (she can't) for comforts sake. She loves the beautiful long sleeve and 3/4 comp leos, and even browses leos online like normal girls browse jeans or prom gowns, but she says nothing says comfort like a tank. ;-)
Yeah, as the girls have gotten their new leos a lot of them are remarking about how the sleeves feel. They are just not used to leos having sleeves.

We don't have Xcel at our gym so I can't speak directly to the question. I have seen Xcel at some meets and saw both tanks and long sleeve, no idea which level.

We are following the philosophy of Xcel which is suppose to make gymnastics more available to all when making our decisions for Xcel. Which is Not only from a competition perspective but also by a cost perspective.

That is why we do short sleeve Leo's. It is more cost effective for the gymnasts and parents. They don't need a fancy leo that costs an arm and a leg. My short sleeve Leo's are already $80.00. We also don't order matching warm-ups. The girls where zip up sweatshirts with our logo on them and and pair of leggings they have. Those cost around $50.00 in total.

We are following the philosophy of Xcel which is suppose to make gymnastics more available to all when making our decisions for Xcel. Which is Not only from a competition perspective but also by a cost perspective.

That is why we do short sleeve Leo's. It is more cost effective for the gymnasts and parents. They don't need a fancy leo that costs an arm and a leg. My short sleeve Leo's are already $80.00. We also don't order matching warm-ups. The girls where zip up sweatshirts with our logo on them and and pair of leggings they have. Those cost around $50.00 in total.
Our long sleeve competition leotard cost $78. http://www.alphafactor.com/products/womens/team-leotards/celestial-sequin
There are also other options at GK, AF, and Snowflake that would be less than $80 for either long sleeve or tank. I think if you are going with a tank, the price should be $60 or less.

Our bronze girls wear tank leos, but currently we only have bronze. I believe silver and gold will have long sleeve (mainly because the girls who are gonna be on silver and gold were on the JO team this year and already have the leos)

3/4 sleeve for both XCel and JO. All XCel levels wear the same leo, which is an inexpensive stock style. The JO leotard is more elaborate and more expensive than the XCel leo, but is the same for all JO levels. The same leo style is used three years in a row. The gym coordinates the sale of outgrown competition leotards, and any family selling a used leo gets first priority to purchase a used one in the next size up.

I like your gym!!! LOL!
I respectfully refer to DD's $265 comp leo as her million-dollar-diamond-encrusted piece of lycra.

I do not believe we will be nearly so lucky this year. The new team is ordering all new leos, so I don't know the price, but last year they had under armor and they were close to $300 (or so I am told). We have bought 3 comp leos so far, and never paid over $60, so I am just hoping my luck (somewhat) holds out.

Reactions: sce
DD's new tank comp leo is $50. Slight bling, shiny material. Supposedly gym goes in three year cycles or so so the girls can hand down to each other. I think we are in year 2 of the cycle so we may get lucky next year.

Lots of gyms out here use tank leos for compulsory gymnasts and long/3/4 sleeves for the optionals.

Edited to add the leo is from GK

I do not believe we will be nearly so lucky this year. The new team is ordering all new leos, so I don't know the price, but last year they had under armor and they were close to $300 (or so I am told). We have bought 3 comp leos so far, and never paid over $60, so I am just hoping my luck (somewhat) holds out.
It really deopends on which one and how much bling they add. The UA leos base price are from $55 - $130. But that is before any bling is added. Bling adds up fast.

My gym hasn't had xcel in several years so I have no idea if the Leo will be long sleeve or sleeveless, I'll guess I'll find out when we order our new comp Leo's. I heard a mom saying that the JO leotard was $300 so I'm hoping that's not how much my xcel one will cost! I won't really know though (unless I ask or it's the same Leo as JO) as the price of meets, Leo's, warm ups, etc is all included in one price on top of tuition. I think my parents would rather not care to find out anyway :rolleyes:

We're in region 4 here and the vast majority of xcel comp leos that I've noticed in our state have been at least 3/4 sleeve. That said, they're also typically less .... fancy (?) than their respective same-gym JO counterparts. Less bling, or less expensive brand/fabric, etc. Granted, xcel around these parts is often for those desiring less commitment/cost so that makes sense.

It's very common for a gym's lowest JO teams around here to have tank leos, though. And the super-blingy leos usually start between level 7-9, depending on the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back