Parents Your definition of "lines"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think 'Nice lines' can be similarly be called, as in mens gymnastics, 'virtuosity'
Over 10 years ago, before I was involved in gymnastics, I happened to be at a work conference and was lucky enough to have Peter Vidmar as the motivational speaker.....(no , I did not start my son because of him!)
He showed us the difference between a regular routine and one with virtuosity. I must say it was amazing to watch a 40+ year old guy do a full pommel horse routine, one regular, good, fine.......the other was beautiful, effortless, smooth......hence "Artistic Gymnastics"

However, I have seen kids with 'ugly' lines...(not art).......i don't know how in the world a coach is supposed to fix that.

My favorite "pretty lines" gymnast is Catherine Lyons! She has incredible artistry in her routines too.

Wow that is GORGEOUS! I love artistry in gymnastics. Don't get me wrong, pure power is fun to watch, and even the most powerful gymnasts are usually pretty technically correct. But artistry and lines like this you don't see everyday. Lovely!

DD gets compliments on her "lines." She is only 4'11", but if people just see her videos, they think she is much taller as she is "long and lean." Then they see her next to her teammates and WOW! I think for her it is natural, combined with her personal brand of perfectionism.

Wow! Lyons is a total breath of fresh air! That was so lovely, and interesting to watch! I like that I was more interested in seeing her finish her dance than tumble!!

Lines (noun): something my knobby-kneed, sickle-footed, spider-handed daughter lacks.

But I loves her anyway..... :)
2. Something my 47 inch (all torso) DD could never have. Her stubby, muscled legs, while straight and toes pointed, still look, for lack of a better word, blunt. Doesn't help that she's quick. If you blink, you miss the leap/jump or whatever.

This is my DD's strength; people always tell me that she has beautiful lines. Some of her team mates are stocky, little powerhouses and can muscle through anything, but my DD is the opposite. Long lean muscles and willowy - like a little fairy. She is light on her feet and all pointy toes and fingers. When I think of pretty lines, I think of ballet dancers with the long neck position and graceful movements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back