3 year old level 3 :0

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just because there are no minimum age requirements, does NOT make it right to have a 3 year old compete. Common sense should come in to play here. Usually when I see videos of very young kids (especially when they label the video with the childs age and level), it is ALL for the parents' ego. It is not enough these days that kids are participating in one of the toughest sports--gymnastics, now it is all about their kid being the youngest and getting to the higher levels the fastest.

It's all about winning and being the best, but the sad part is, when the kid is burnt out, stressed out or injured from overuse before they even hit their 10th birthday, no one really "wins" now do they???

Yes, why is it that parents who put their videos on youtube feel the need to include the age in the title of the video? Or they feel the need to say that they were the youngest gymnast competing in the whole meet? I feel like this is just an ego trip for them all the way. I can understand putting the age somewhere in the video, especially if it's for you to remember, but some of the titles like "Best 6 yo gymnast in the world" just seem like their way of getting attention. If I ever put a video on youtube (slightly unlikely because I'm technologically disadvantaged) I will be sure to make my title "Level 4 gymnast 6 years, 1 month and 3 days" because it's very important to me that everyone knows exactly how young and special my child is. I just hope she's better than that girl that is 6 years, 1 month and 2 days. I can't have her being shown up.

Yes, why is it that parents who put their videos on youtube feel the need to include the age in the title of the video? Or they feel the need to say that they were the youngest gymnast competing in the whole meet? I feel like this is just an ego trip for them all the way. I can understand putting the age somewhere in the video, especially if it's for you to remember, but some of the titles like "Best 6 yo gymnast in the world" just seem like their way of getting attention. If I ever put a video on youtube (slightly unlikely because I'm technologically disadvantaged) I will be sure to make my title "Level 4 gymnast 6 years, 1 month and 3 days" because it's very important to me that everyone knows exactly how young and special my child is. I just hope she's better than that girl that is 6 years, 1 month and 2 days. I can't have her being shown up.

I always wondered at what age does the person stop putting the age. I see it here too, those who always put the age of the child they are talking about and level. At what age does it stop??? I'd feel very silly putting level 9, 14 year old on everything. If the child is good enough to do the level, why does advertisement of the age matter. It always makes me chuckle... :)

I always wondered at what age does the person stop putting the age. I see it here too, those who always put the age of the child they are talking about and level. At what age does it stop??? I'd feel very silly putting level 9, 14 year old on everything. If the child is good enough to do the level, why does advertisement of the age matter. It always makes me chuckle... :)

When I joined, I saw others posting like that so I did. Thought I was following board etiquette. :) I also like checking in with others who have kids around the same age/level. JMO.

Just because there are no minimum age requirements, does NOT make it right to have a 3 year old compete.

I didn't say it was right. I was just answering someone else's question about AAU's requirements.

When I joined, I saw others posting like that so I did. Thought I was following board etiquette. :) I also like checking in with others who have kids around the same age/level. JMO.

I think on here it's normal to say you have a 6yo level 4 or whatever on here. We are sharing info about ourselves and others. I'm talking about people who put videos on youtube and it's seems like their only goal is to show off and get attention. Title of the video will be something like "(insert name) doing giants. Only 7 years old!!!" I don't think there's anything wrong with having a youtube for you friends and family to view. Including "friends" you meet on CB! I love watching videos online of great little gymnasts like your DD, who is fantastic by the way. It's more the other ones who seem to just be stroking their ego.

I started getting curious, so I typed in "2 year old back handspring" on Youtube, and sure enough, THIS came up:

YouTube - Shortcake's Back Handspring on the Floor!

She has a whole channel of this little girl called "shortcakes". She is 2 years old.

Two words only...CHILD ABUSE

Goodness gracious! I get just as excited by "talented" preschoolers as the next coach (and by talented, I mean reasonably strong and coordinated for a 2-4 year old...), but I would NEVER even attempt to teach a backhandspring to ANY of those kids. I make a big deal out of reasonable cartwheels, a chin up on a preschool bar, a press on the parallettes, or the ability to stand in what remotely resembles a releve on a floor beam. Teaching backward rolls to little ones is nerve wracking enough for me as a coach and an activity that is closely monitored and spotted. Even for older kids just learning backhandsprings, I stay within spotting distance and in spotting position even if I know they can perform the skill safely by themselves, you know, just in case. There is not a coach within arms distance of that little girl! What goes through the minds of these people?!

1. I like to know the age of kids when someone is posting about a question, etc because often it will make a difference in my answer. I don't think people here are doing it to brag (most of the time, at least that I can see) but because otherwise it would be hard to keep everyone straight.

2. I think it is important to talk about this so that parents can understand this is contraindicated by USAG safety standards. Otherwise how can parents be expected to understand if they are enrolling their kids in a class that is not following safety standards. The safety standards for preschool gymnastics are to use appropriately sized equipment (not equipment over their torso height), to avoid training bridging skills (i.e. don't teach BWO or BHS until age 5), and of course the same safety standards as ANY level of gymnastics, you don't have kids landing on their head. Very young kids have heavier heads relative to their body though, so it would unusual to see a BHS that wasn't a back headspring before 5 or so, even if they're jumping back pretty well. Little kids under 4 or so are also more prone to shoulder and elbow dislocations because the shape of the bone allows the joint to dislocate more easily. And they shouldn't land on their heads regardless of the matting (even a resi mat, tramp) that is still a. not correct gymnastics and b. risking head/neck injury.

Thanks for pointing that out gymdog. I think parents are anxious for their little ones to do a BHS because it's a recognizable gymnastics skill that looks more impressive than doing a great handstand or something more appropriate. Which just goes to show that it's their ego driving the situation. Why would coaches allow such things? Especially if you are a coach and a parent.

gymcoach-that dad posts on here :) at least it wasnt on grass and it was pretty decent(not landing on her head ect.)

Optionals Rock and Gymgurl... are we looking at the same video? She most deffinately is landing directly on top of her head and on the last one its the back of her neck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back