WAG Age to start, and gym recommendations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

alongfortheride

Proud Parent
Hi, my daughter is 3. Her brother is a very good gymnast for his age (he is still young), and I was planning to possibly start her in some classes. I have a few questions:

1) Is 3 a good age to start, or should I wait until she's a bit older? My son started at 6 and is doing really well.

2) I think it matters what gym you are in. I love my son's gym, but am not sure it's the best for my daughter, based on their women's program. Or doesn't it matter at this age? Or should I get recommendations on gyms?

Thanks!

3 is a great age to start--if she's asking to go too. Unless you have serious issues with safety, etc. I'd start her at your son's gym and see if she even likes it. If she does, seems talented, and you still have concerns, then look around.

I think 3 is a great age to start to, my two dds started around that age as well. I would definitely start at your sons gym and see if she likes it and then once she's older and you think competitive or higher level rec is for her then evaluate whether the gym is a good fit for her.

I agree with other posters. Let her try the current gym, it would not be too fun running kids to separate gyms right now.

I'd only let her start at three if there isn't a "mommy and me" part attached.....no leos for me...they started when they could enroll in the class as an individual...

I wish I had started my DD younger... So I think it would be great for your DD to see if she likes it.

Start her when she is interested. At this point, enroll her at the same place as her brother. If she shows competitive potential and interest, then you might look at other gyms when she is 5 or 6 (or older) and moving on to pre-team or team, if you have doubts about their women's program.

We have mommy and me class for kids 18 months to 3 years and separate preschool classes for kids 3-5 and 5-7. I teach both of the preschool classes and I can tell you the kids love it. Gymnastics at that age isn't about the gymnastics as much as developing good motor movement and becoming aware of the body, so I'd say 3 is a fine age, as long as safety isn't an issue at your gym that is. Good luck. :)

My daughter started gym at 6 1/2. Many of her teammates started at 2 or 3 years old. If your daughter is interested, it fits your schedule, you are looking for activity for your daughter, then I think any age is fine. If you are looking to get her ahead of the game and/or are hoping by starting her early it will help her progress faster, I don't think it will accomplish that. Starting gym at 2 or 3 in my opinion is really just play time. They may develop strength but it really does not give them that much of an advantage over one that starts much later.

ditto to what 4theloveofsports said. I teach 3yo preschool classes. Honestly, my goal for the kids in the class (besides having fun) has very little to do with gymnastics. It is however a really fun place to learn to take turns, learning to wait (self control//impulse control), follow directions (including multiple-step directions like following a circuit) and a great way to build a good foundation for learning…beam helps with reading skills, remembering the circuit and what to do at each step helps build skills needed in school.
So, for the OP, if you are looking for preschool gymnastics, I would not be so concerned about the quality of their women's team as about having preschool teachers that understand preschoolers. I have seen gyms with mediocre (or nonexistent) teams have excellent pre-school programs, and I have seen excellent team gyms with poor preschool programs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back