WAG Concerns about daughter doing a 75 mile bike race

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
My 12 year old second year L9 daughter wants to do a 75 mile bike race this weekend. I already said no when this came up a month ago and many times after that. Unfortunately, her dad says she can do it. She did the race two years ago and finished over 6 hours later. I don't recall it causing her any problems at the gym. She was also an L7 and was dying for the challenge. But since she's already done it, I don't see why she should do it again. I don't want it to affect this year's gymnastics season.

Aside from potential injury concerns, after the race she told me there were parts of the course where the bike lane had cars traveling on both sides and it made her nervous. This makes me so nervous, too. In addition, she is not a cyclist. She was on her bike maybe twice this summer and a handful of times only in the last two years. (note: she too did not train when she first did the race but was ok.) She did not do the bike race last year because her father did not want to do it because he was still having nightmares from the extremely difficult mountainous 70 mile bike race he was forced to do with me son. :p But he is now willing to do it this year.:mad:

The bike race is a charity event run by my husband's company and is relatively safe and is run well. They have vans and cyclists going up and down the course to help any distressed cyclists or pick them up if they do not want to finish the race. There are many rest stops. And everyone knows us. My husband has done it at least 7 times and my 16 year old has done it the last 4 years and is doing it again this year.

Nonetheless, I don't think I want my daughter to do it. Can anyone provide me with reasons to convince her and her father otherwise or explain to me that I am being ridiculous in not wanting to let her do this. I am just nervous if this will affect her gymnastics and I know she will not do it if she believes it will affect it as well. But if this one day event will not affect her muscles, etc., then I may be ok with it. I am aware that I am pretty skeptical by nature. Her dad will be riding with her the entire course. Thank you.

I understand your concern however I would let her do it. It is something away from the gym. These sweet girls need something away from the gym now and then. It helps them clear their mind. My DD scares me when she does wake boarding, tubing and water skiing buy hey they have to have a life. I know you worry but if she is with your husband the entire time I don't think I would over think this. Just my humble opinion.

I think I'd let her do it. I find myself worrying when dd is invited to an ice-skating party or wants to go horse riding with a friend and has a competition coming up and I have to stop myself and give myself a talking to. I imagine how resentful she's going to be if I keep pointing out to her that she shouldn't do this and that because of gym.
She's reaching a stage where she's able to make up her own mind about the risks and consequences and I would imagine that at age 12 and level 9 your daughter must have a good grasp of that too.
75 miles isn't actually all that far for a fit person. My dd did a 12 mile walk the other day, in the heat, to raise money and she was a bit achy the next day at gym, but had a really good session despite running with weights for six sets of two minutes!
I understand your concern because I get it too, but it sounds like she'd have fun and get a sense of achievement.

I agree I would let her do it. If you keep telling her know to these sorts of things that she enjoys because of gymnastics she may end of quitting gymnastics just so that she can do these other activities.
She will do fine, if you are worried about her being really sore the next day talk to her coaches and see if they will let her do a modified work out or possibly a day off so she can rest and not hurt herself due to fatigue.

I do agree with everything you've said. I give everyone as much liberty to do whatever they want. Her life is not all gymnastics. They all do many things that is so nerve wrecking to me, i.e., snowboard and surf among the more dangerous ones. This is 75 miles in the streets with cars coming at you at at least over 60 miles in some areas. Maybe the anxiety I feel stems from my own fear of cycling. I am afraid of cycling in the open streets. Maybe I am overly worried for nothing.

I over the summer, my family ran a 10k. My daughter ended up walking the last mile because her arches started swelling up. Just posted this thread in case there is something I should be concerned about.

I think I'd let her do it. I find myself worrying when dd is invited to an ice-skating party or wants to go horse riding with a friend and has a competition coming up and I have to stop myself and give myself a talking to. I imagine how resentful she's going to be if I keep pointing out to her that she shouldn't do this and that because of gym.
She's reaching a stage where she's able to make up her own mind about the risks and consequences and I would imagine that at age 12 and level 9 your daughter must have a good grasp of that too.
75 miles isn't actually all that far for a fit person. My dd did a 12 mile walk the other day, in the heat, to raise money and she was a bit achy the next day at gym, but had a really good session despite running with weights for six sets of two minutes!
I understand your concern because I get it too, but it sounds like she'd have fun and get a sense of achievement.

75 miles can be extremely difficult even for a fit person depending on the course and how fast you ride it.

Yes, of course. I wasn't trying to make light of the challenge at all. I got the impression it was through streets and not mountains, but of course it's a challenging distance, especially at speed and it's not one that I could manage!
I just meant that I'm sure a fit person would cope ok and may be pretty sore afterwards but not enough to have any lasting impact.

I might have understated the course. The "mountainous" course I mentioned my husband and son undertook is certainly difficult with miles upon miles of riding straight up. But this race is by no means flat and can do a number on your quads. There are numerous steep hills, rolling hills and stretches of miles in unshaded desert-like scenery.

I remembered my niece who is a short distance sprinter and lacrosse player who started running much longer distances to stay in shape the summer before she went to college. According to her, it affected her fast twitch because she was doing more slow twitch fiber stuff and her college coach was not pleased. I do realize the bike race is a one time a year thing, but this is clearly an endurance, slow twitch fiber event compared to her fast twitch requirements in gym.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I appreciate it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought fast/slow twitch fibres were something you were born with not something that you can control?

My understanding is we all have a combination of both. Some have more slow and some have more fast. But you can develope the weaker of the two and/or improve what you already have.

I wouldn't not let her do it because of gymnastics. But 75 miles with cars coming at you both ways, well I wouldn't do it and would be strongly discouraging any family member of mine from doing it! But then I also have a fear of bike riding on busy roads and won't let my kids do it.

If she love cycling I'd let her especially with your husband being there. Gym is amazing, but most adults don't continue with gymnastics as there primary adult exercise. So, I personally want my kid to love other sports like running, swimming and biking because they are easy to do when they are older. Good luck deciding!

She is more than just a gymnast and obviously knows it. Let her do the bike race so she can be happy in gymnastics. She's telling you what she wants, and if she is willing to accept the risks, then let her go!!!

It is so weird to read that she only rarely rides a bike. In my country almoast everyone rides their bike 2/3 times a day. Maby that is the reason, not a lot of people get really exited for bikeraces.;)

I told her she can do it. I was hesitantly going to let her do it anyway. But I thought I'd post on this website just in case someone had something detrimental to remind me of.

I still prefer she didn't. I do however realize part of my apprehension is my own fear of riding (I am with you OzZee). 75 miles is too long a distance in my opinion for someone who is not an avid cyclist or who does not even love cycling. I've never limited any activities she wants to do. In fact, I think I am more permissive than most. She has tried every sport/activity imaginable. I understand and support her need for challenges and her need to try new things. I know she is more than a gymnast and I live by that and remind her as much. But she constantly wants to take risks and challenges either to prove to herself she can do what others can do or to prove it to others.. I just hope it is the former and not the latter. Cie la vie.

Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate and took into account your collective insight and experiences.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back