WAG curious question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gothgymmom

Proud Parent
I am posting this here so more people can answer.

I know during comp season we are forbidden to speak to the judges, but just the other day as me and my daughter were sitting in the office for a meeting for my niece at school, this lady came in to sign in as she was volunteering or something. All of the sudden DD exclaimed, " thats a judge!!". Took me a minute but sure enough its one of the judges that has been at almost all of the comps we have been to. What is the law about speaking to judges out side of comp season? Its not like I was going to try to bribe her into giving my daughter good scores or anything lol (im not like that), but maybe something along the lines of, "hey, you judge my daughter at comps, have a good summer and we will see you next year" or something like that. And plus, if she volunteers at the school, what is DD supposed to do since she is the one that the lady judges? im just not sure on this situation.

I think that it is fine to talk to judges! A mom from gym whose daughter does preschool classes judges at some I our meets and I talk to her all the time. Also, two of our coaches are judges and have even judged us before at a meet. If you know a judge, it doesn't always mean that they will score you higher either. The meet that our coach judged us at had some of our worst scores since the judge knew us and knew what deduction we were going to get.

My daughter recognized two judges at breakfast before meet she said thru look familiar they said we're judges then they noticed her team jacket and said what a good job one of the other girls in level 10 did the day before and really complemented her routines. DD was proud to have her warm up on!

TOTALLY fine! And, you can speak to judges during a meet, just not about the judging. If your gym hosts a meet, chances are you will have a chance to make small talk with the judges if you're working in the hospitality room, or sitting at the judges table next to them entering scores, etc.

The gymnastics community isn't that big, and a friendly "hello" is always appreciated. Most judges just adore cute little gymmies, that's why they judge! Plus, how fun for your DD to get to see a judge when the judge isn't looking so scary and official!

There's no rule about any of this. Judges need to have lives too. It would be inappropriate to speak to a judge about why your daughter got a score, etc during the meet or any time after the meet. But normal day to day interaction is expected.

We've run into judges at airports, heading home from a meet, at hotels breakfast..... I've served them food. They are very nice and frankly appreciate a good morning, etc. what you proposed is totally acceptable.

Well certainly avoid any appearance of bribing the judge...... Leave the bribery to your dear daughter, as she'll have a better chance of innocently offering the judge.... errrr... harumph... volunteer a palte of hame baked cookies or Scarbucks gift card.;):D

You can't come up to us and ask us about a score, but a friendly hello in the hallways or whatever is allowed. I often run into gymnasts who recognize me in the meet hotel and sometimes they'll say something like, "You're a judge, aren't you?" I'll say yes and wish them good luck. No big deal.

A lot of judges are also coaches, gym owners, or otherwise involved in the gymnastics community. If no one could talk to us, we'd spent our whole lives alone.

"hey, you judge my daughter at comps, have a good summer and we will see you next year"

I think this is fine, and appropriate! I ran into a judge at the grocery store. Took me a minute to figure out why I knew her face. I was a few aisles over by the time I figured out where I knew her from. That said, I didn't turn around and try to find her- lol. But, if I had put two and two together while I was in the same aisle I would have said "hello".

On my retired gymmie's team in California one of the girls mom's was a judge. She never judged any meet that our team was competing. She only judged one competition that my daughter was in, by that time our gym had closed and our girls went to separate gyms so there was no longer a conflict of interest. I did not realize that she was a judge until the judges were introduced. Thankfully my dd who was 9 at the time didn't say "Hi Mrs. Friend's mom!". That might have caused an issue or two.

I think its awesome when the kids can see a judge outside of the gym and realize that they do not crawl out from under rocks to judge them, they truly are just people.

Well now you all have me feeling like the briefcase full of $20s that I sent to DD's judge's hotel room during state meet might have been questionable.
Don't worry it's not like you went to the bank and got bundles of fresh 20's in sequential serial numbers..... or did you??!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back