How Many Elite Gymnasts Do We Have

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is considered pre-elite? At my daughter's gym, they have one jr. elite (and one Hopes as well), but I'm fairly certain she is not "international" elite. Would this mean she is pre-elite and therefore not counted in that group of 40(ish)?

(I really don't know much about how it all works so hopefully this isn't a really stupid question. :blush: )

not stupid at all. if she is not "international elite" she is not 1 of the forty some odd.

not stupid at all. if she is not "international elite" she is not 1 of the forty some odd.

Ok, so if one is not classified as "international elite" but they've gone to the qualifier and received high enough scores then they're pre-elite? And while I'm asking that, what does it take for one to get that "international elite" status? Do they just receive higher scores at the qualifiers than those who end up as pre-elite? Or is there a separate qualifier for that? I'm just curious. I understand how everything works up to L10 but after that I'm pretty lost. :upsidedown:

Sorry Dunno what is the difference between an international elite and someone who has qualified both parts elite and is taking part in elite meets in the states. I thought only members of the national team competed internationally.

I find our UK system more straightforwards probably because it is more familiar to me. We have a british national championships for various age groups and the national squads are generally taken from them each year.

Junior and Senior Elites are both Junior International Elite and Senior International Elite by virtue of their elite scores at the qualifiers...the term "International" is a bit misleading , if they are truly an elite by getting the qualifying score, then they are a Junior or Senior International Elite, period...whether they scored a 54 or a 60, the classification is the same.

The term pre-elite is more to reference girls who are training TOPS or HOPES and who choose not to test for Junior International at the qualifiers.

bookworm said it great. and for international competitions, which could include right here in the US, a junior could also represent us if the competition were a "junior" competition (like pan ams) but that junior would have had to qualify to championships and made the national team.

example: let's say you were 19th at champs. but you competed at champs and are an "international" cause you achieved the score that got you to champs. okay, the US might send 3 teams of six to 3 different meets in 3 different countries. someone from one of the teams gets sick or injured. they will go to the 19th position to get the athlete replacement for the sick or injured athlete. understand? but this can only happen if you have "international" status. that means achieving a score, whatever that may be in any given year and subject to change, and have qualified to champs but not on the national team or receiving funding.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back