How Many Elite Gymnasts Do We Have

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of the moms at the gym wants to know how many junior elites and senior elites we have right now in the U.S. . I think she was interested in women's but I personally would love to know on the men's side too. Now she has me curious too.

I don't think there is any way in telling, because the level of athlete's is changing all the time, unless USA gymnastics decides to do a count. At competition's like Visa Championships we only see a small amount of the elite's.

women's= no more than 40

men's= no more than 25

and this is the average approx from year to year.

Dunno, is that number for seniors or both juniors and seniors both? It seems really low.

Dunno, is that number for seniors or both juniors and seniors both? It seems really low.

believe or not...juniors and seniors.

when you consider that on the womens side there are 12 senior national team members and 18 juniors team members that equals 30. and we don't always have 30 healthy kids total. there are probably an additional 10, making 40, who might be equally as good and can be placed in to a position to compete thru verification at the ranch at any given time when they might be needed. most believe that you are not a bonafied elite until you qualify to championships. all the rest are trying.

the mens side is a bit different but the numbers are less. it is what it is. mens gymnastics is just really hard at the elite level. and when one of them are injured, we seldom have a replacement.

I personally agree with you Dunno but there are alot more that have passed the elite qualification either one or both parts that probably call themselves elite. And the hope gymnasts might term themselves junior elite.

For interest sake how many do you think have passed their elite qual this year. I believe you have to requalify part of it each year. Is that correct?

Well I know there were around 48 juniors competing at the US Classic or maybe even more. I don't remember how many seniors. This year was probably the biggest numbers I've seen in a long time.

I personally agree with you Dunno but there are alot more that have passed the elite qualification either one or both parts that probably call themselves elite. And the hope gymnasts might term themselves junior elite.

For interest sake how many do you think have passed their elite qual this year. I believe you have to requalify part of it each year. Is that correct?

i know what you're saying. between tops, hopes, pre-elite and future stars on the boys side there are probably 200 kids actively training towards some kind of elite endeavor. Without going thru all the regions, i can't tell you how many made the qualifiers. there were alot. but i think you agree...that these meets can not take place $$$ unless they allow kids to pass thru no matter the quality. same goes for classics. and why they must adjust the qualifying score to meet the $$$ needs of a classics competition. nevertheless, it will still be 18 juniors and 12 seniors as this is all the funding will support.

and NGL is right also. this year saw the largest numbers since about 2002. so, just look at that 8 year spread. where did all the kids go? back to level 10 or just quit.

and if you went by how many people think they have elites and the parents that say that their kids are training elite...well...i'd guess that we have about 6047395669473859 kids in the elite program.;)

Funny post dunno. I guess I really didn't know how complicated the question was. Shows you how much I know (almost zilch!). I guess maybe we should include only girls and guys that could run with the pack so to speek. I know some could but are injured so I would like to include them too. Any semi accurate gestimates welcome. :)

i know what you're saying. between tops, hopes, pre-elite and future stars on the boys side there are probably 200 kids actively training towards some kind of elite endeavor. Without going thru all the regions, i can't tell you how many made the qualifiers. there were alot. but i think you agree...that these meets can not take place $$$ unless they allow kids to pass thru no matter the quality. same goes for classics. and why they must adjust the qualifying score to meet the $$$ needs of a classics competition. nevertheless, it will still be 18 juniors and 12 seniors as this is all the funding will support.

and NGL is right also. this year saw the largest numbers since about 2002. so, just look at that 8 year spread. where did all the kids go? back to level 10 or just quit.

and if you went by how many people think they have elites and the parents that say that their kids are training elite...well...i'd guess that we have about 6047395669473859 kids in the elite program.;)

Totally agree that there are many people who call themselves or their kid "elite" when they have never gotten the elite qualification score. And if they have only passed one part, they are not elite. And HOPES....it specifically says in the USAG literature that the HOPES girls are not to be considered elite. Dunno's numbers are pretty on the mark for the actual #s of girls who are elite.

To compete at VISAs, each gymnast must have officially qualified as an elite. At VISAs this year (for women's), there were 43 juniors and 22 seniors.

And there were probably a few who qualified but didn't compete for various reasons. I would also include girls who are solid elite but injured this year like Kam Moore. I don't think anyone would argue with Ivana Hong or Kam Moore terming themselves elite. So possibly about 90 altogether as a max. Would you include Nastia? Mmmmm. Just for wishful thinking I would. LOL>

To compete at VISAs, each gymnast must have officially qualified as an elite. At VISAs this year (for women's), there were 43 juniors and 22 seniors.

I thought I heard somewhere that the L10 National Champion receives an invitiation to VISA Nationals. Is that true?

I thought I heard somewhere that the L10 National Champion receives an invitiation to VISA Nationals. Is that true?

I don't know but I wouldn't think so. Part of qualifying as an elite (which is required for VISAs) is scoring a 35+ (not sure of the exact score) on the elite compulsory routine, in addition to achieving whatever is required for the optional score. A level 10 gymnast probably wouldn't have done the elite compulsory routine.

They are certainly welcome to test elite but there is no invitation to compete at VISAs just because they win JO Nationals...

no.

and i want to make it clear but nice at the same time...look at the scores at championships. look at where it drops off from a 54. they can not put on a competition of this magnitude without athletes. just read between the lines just a bit.;)

What is considered pre-elite? At my daughter's gym, they have one jr. elite (and one Hopes as well), but I'm fairly certain she is not "international" elite. Would this mean she is pre-elite and therefore not counted in that group of 40(ish)?

(I really don't know much about how it all works so hopefully this isn't a really stupid question. :blush: )

Dunno, thanks for all of your information and realism. It's good to have you here! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back