Parents How often does your dd/ds do "gym stuff" outside the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

I don't mean practising at home.

I got the idea for this thread earlier today after catching my youngest dd upside down on the couch and also doing handstands on the floor, just as I was logging in to start this thread dd was at it again lol, everyday she is doing something gymnastics related, its like she is on autopilot or something, she doesn't seem to think about what she is doing she just does it.

I would have to say... between the 2 of them, 24/7 minus sleeping time, lol.
YG is constantly doing handstands or cartwheels or using the couch as a vault stack.
OG is always turning, jumping, doing handstand pirouettes, etc.

Yep, it's constant. dd cartwheels everywhere - down the aisles of supermarkets, in the cinema foyer, the minute we stop still anywhere, to chat to someone we met or look at something, she's off. She spins in the kitchen, practices dance moves while waiting for the school bus, 'sits' upside down on the sofa.

ds is going the same way. He's not confident enough with his cartwheels yet, but he jumps. I was chatting to a friend yesterday and he just started doing press-ups. I wasn't sure whether to be embarrassed or impressed!

Always, everywhere. Handstands, carwheels, routine poses, jumps, leaps, etc., etc.

My son, who plays baseball, is no different... "pitching" and "batting" whenever he is standing up!

Every waking hour.
Although I try to discourage walkovers as I dont know how to instruct her if she does it wrong.
Today they spent a couple of hours with miley Cyrus wrecking ball on repeat while they did a floor routine. Dd2 (6, rec) has been told to practice a few stretches and she has taken that seriously and doing it every opportunity.
They like to vault over the poof.
They both love handstands - can't watch tv without one of them in the way - I have to time them in "bananas".
It's pretty much incessant.

My DD (level 3 age 7) is always doing handstands and cartwheels through the house. She regularly comes running or skipping through the house headed somewhere and will just randomly stop and do a handstand and then keep on going. I can't even imagine her doing gymnastics (cartwheels, handstands., etc.) in stores or other public facilities because she knows me well enough to know I would have major problems with that, accompanied by major consequences!

Constantly! It's always been this way. She even does conditioning while I do her grammar oral review, and will read in the splits.

She also likes to "show off" a bit at playgrounds. Though she told me she was a little tired of it last night - she said that if she had a shirt that said she was a gymnast, then a bunch of girls would follow her around and ask to see all that she could do - but obviously she can't do a back tuck on the grass!

We were at an early Xmas party yesterday and DD found a quiet spot to teach a bunch of kids basic gymnastics. She does the same at school. I even caught her teaching her teddies the other day, saying "I'm the coach not you, your job is to listen to what I say and do it" and issuing them corrections in a bossy tone "point your toes" "no baggy legs". Lol it was soooo sweet.

Mine is at it all the time also...... It's gotten to the point where no one so much as flinches when she is doing handstands in front of the TV, we have gotten so use to hit hahaha! She is constantly on her hands or sitting in her splits or doing random round-offs out of the blue!

Yup, here too. Pretty much constantly. Mostly handstands and cartwheels and at "appropriate" public places, if that makes sense! It's become so normal I figure all kids do this until a thread like this comes up and I realize it's really just all gymnasts!

We were at an early Xmas party yesterday and DD found a quiet spot to teach a bunch of kids basic gymnastics. She does the same at school. I even caught her teaching her teddies the other day, saying "I'm the coach not you, your job is to listen to what I say and do it" and issuing them corrections in a bossy tone "point your toes" "no baggy legs". Lol it was soooo sweet.

My dd does that with her Barbies and My Little Ponies, I have even heard her giving corrections to some of her friends at dancing when they are playing around doing Cartwheels and Handstands in the studio between classes.

Cartwheels used to be my daughter's favorite mode of transportation, but now it's front walk-overs. One of my favorite memories of her was an attempt to get over snow, in heavy ski boots, doing cartwheels. It was a fail.

handstand contests and pirouette contests are norm here while waiting in lines, etc....floor routine and beam dance through also frequent. Youngest DS used to do back handsprings across parking lots but I put a nix on that one! Boys can't resist practicing P bar moves (I long ago lost track of what's what) on any 2 objects of similar height....yep...wish DD would work splits more and younger DS straight legs, but....I just figure they have a lot of energy to burn...I was similar with dance - never full feet on the floor for anything!

Dd is the same. Cartwheel ect all over the place. The one that creeps me out is walking while in a bridge. Reminds me of something from a horror movie

my ds is a reading addict, and I often find him in his room reading while in a handstand. While we were waiting for him in the gym, dd (6, rec) decided to climb onto one of the high beams and throw herself off it, with no landing mat underneath. I didn't see her until I looked up and there she was, poised on the end of the beam. It was too late to stop her, and so I watched, in what felt like slow motion, as she plummeted headfirst onto the floor. One broken wrist later, I asked her what on earth she was doing. "a front somersault mummy!" she answered calmly, "next time I will tuck myself in tighter". Sigh. Clearly I am going to have to watch her like a hawk.

DD used to always be cartwheeling, handstanding etc., maybe from the time she started doing gym seriously around age 6/7. Now she's almost 11 and doesn't do it so much anymore.

DD did this all of the time..... Until she started back in august. She moved from 16 to 25 hours, and all gym stopped at home, in stores, while walking down the street.

She'd reached her limit. But I now see it coming back.... Doing cartwheels and walkovers while talking to me as I make dinner. So I now know she is fully adjusted to the new schedule :)

DD used to always be cartwheeling, handstanding etc., maybe from the time she started doing gym seriously around age 6/7. Now she's almost 11 and doesn't do it so much anymore.

Same here, at 5-7 years old lots of cartwheels, handstands, back handsprings. She stopped almost completely once she started seriously competing and now balks whenever we go on vacation and I ask for a handstand pic with a famous monument, lol. DD is 13.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back