WAG How sick to keep your kid home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Keep your kid home if they are not feeling well. They will not practice well, they may get hurt and they may infect other kids. Missing a practice or two is no big deal. My DD has missed months from injuries and keeps up. So missing a for being sick is not a big deal. Parents drive me nutts thinking she has to practice....no she doesn't when sick!

I have the no school no gym policy as well unless it's a be on the meds for 24 hours and ghey seem fine ( there has been times where they are well over the 24 hours when gym starts but it's only an hour left of school so I keep them home) or if it's been over 24 hours fever free and pulling free etc but I kept them home just in case thing and into the day they are bouncing off walls. But that rarely happens.

In general, we observe the no school, no gym policy, as well as 24 hours fever/vomiting free.

Granted, there was one time recently where DD was not feeling great on a Monday - she went to school, but I kept her home from practice that night. The next day she still seemed wiped, so I let her stay home from school. By the end of the day, she was feeling so normal that she was trying to tumble in the house (and was driving me insane). I let her go to practice that night. That said, it was more of a light "cold" than anything (no fever/vomiting, etc).

Sometimes, it's tricky. Once she complained of a tummy ache after school. She'd been having some anxiety, and it was "that one practice day of the week" with "that one coach" who was much more.... strict..... than all the others. She seemed otherwise fine (perky, etc), so I assumed she was just anxious. Wrong. She was vomiting within 4 hours of getting home from practice. I felt awful!!

Thanks for all the responses. I would never send her to gym if I thought she was infectious. I should have had a better post header and maybe not posted at all at 11PM at night when my crazy mom brain was in full force. DD is pretty healthy and doesn't often have obvious sickness like fever/ vomiting but does get coughs/colds where she is not 100%. So it was more a question of whether parents have blanket rules like only keeping kids out of gym if they also skip school. Or if parents would keep kids out of gym even if they were OK for school (like with a cough/cold) because gym is just harder on their bodies and how you gage that. We work full time and have carpool to and from gym so some days I have to make these calls in the morning without getting to see DD at gym time (I have to make a decision before 8AM and don't see her til after 8PM) and was wondering if blanket rules would just be easier. These responses have been helpful.

?...Or if parents would keep kids out of gym even if they were OK for school (like with a cough/cold) because gym is just harder on their bodies and how you gage that. We work full time and have carpool to and from gym so some days I have to make these calls in the morning....

At is point, my DD is almost 11 and she helps make those judgement calls. If she's needing frequent tissues or coughing frequently, has a big headache, or she's so congested it hurts to bend over, she'll just say she doesn't think practice will be worth it.

Rarely will I override her judgement there, as I can't feel what she's feeling. :)

If she's wheezing (she sometimes does with colds), it's an automatic stay home, especially with all that chalk!

It's hard to judge in the morning - so much can change. Best you can do is plan for whatever the worst-case or more difficult situation is for you. There are many times my kids' health has changed enough throughout the day that my judgement call has changed (we're allergy sufferers, to boot...). If you must decide in the morning, then all you can do is assume your child will need a day off to rest, as much as I personally hate my own kids to miss when they're well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back