WAG JO Nationals and NIT

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

oldiebutgoodie

Gold Membership
I have been told that sometimes there are more than 7 girls per age group that qualify to JO nationals and more than 2 that go to NIT in some regions.

How do you know if that will be the case for your region/age group?

(I realize that I probably asked this question in the most confusing way possible :D)

no. the regional teams consist of 7 girls in 8 age groups. therefore, 56 kids (Level 10) per region qualify to JO's.

now, let's say a region does not have enough gymnasts to meet the minimum 34.00 aa score or simply don't have 56 kids that their region must supply. let's say that region only has 40. they now must fill the spots of 16 gymnasts from other regions who did not make their 7 woman regional team in any of the age groups, and as long as they have achieved the minimum 34.00 aa score, will be picked to compete in and on another regional team who is short the numbers to attempt to fill the vacant or short 16 spots.

these gymnasts are called all stars. their score will not count toward any region. but their scores WILL count for themselves. there have been years when a gymnast. had a bad regional meet then got picked up to compete in another region because they were short the 56. and then that gymnast went on to win the all around in their age group! :)

I have been told that sometimes there are more than 7 girls per age group that qualify to JO nationals and more than 2 that go to NIT in some regions.

How do you know if that will be the case for your region/age group?

(I realize that I probably asked this question in the most confusing way possible :D)

Sometimes Regions won't have 7 girls in an age group that get the required 34 score to go to Nationals. The first open spot goes to the Region that won that age group the previous year, second open spot would go to second place team, 3rd to 3rd place team.

yes, ^^^ and so on and so forth until Connie can accomplish 56 per region. there have been a couple times where the overall numbers were down and there just weren't enough level 10's to get to 56 per region.

Thank you! When do they tell the regions that they have extra spots? Will it be known during age group awards or would they not know until all the regions are finished competing?

We have a huge region so I had no idea that some regions don't have enough. Maybe a move to say, Alaska would be in order ;)

Thank you! When do they tell the regions that they have extra spots? Will it be known during age group awards or would they not know until all the regions are finished competing?

We have a huge region so I had no idea that some regions don't have enough. Maybe a move to say, Alaska would be in order ;)

Yes, Region 2(which includes Alaska) ALWAYS has open spots. They just don't have a big enough population, enough athletes, to fill all the spots. Regions will generally know during the meet if they are getting spots and in what age groups. If your Region was 1st or 2nd last year in an age group, you are almost certain to get an extra spot.

Sometimes Regions won't have 7 girls in an age group that get the required 34 score to go to Nationals. The first open spot goes to the Region that won that age group the previous year, second open spot would go to second place team, 3rd to 3rd place team.

There's no qualifying score to go to Nationals. It's based on placement. There's only a score of 34.00 AA to qualify to Regionals.

no, not correct ^^^ the minimum score is 34.00. if National makes an exception due to lack of numbers then they do. if the top 7 in any age group all score under a 34.00, kids from other regions that have not made it in their regions top 7 will be picked to fill vacant all star spots in other regions if they have scored above a 34.00, and ahead of those that scored under a 34.00 understand?

no, not correct ^^^ the minimum score is 34.00. if National makes an exception due to lack of numbers then they do. if the top 7 in any age group all score under a 34.00, kids from other regions that have not made it in their regions top 7 will be picked to fill vacant all star spots in other regions if they have scored above a 34.00, and ahead of those that scored under a 34.00 understand?

Yep - here is the text from R&P (I know cutting and pasting doesn't work well) -

2. Qualification to Jr. Olympic Nationals
a. The top seven (7) All-Around gymnasts in each of the eight age divisions from each of the eight regions will compete as Regional Team members at the Jr. Olympic National Championships, provided that they achieve a minimum of 34.00 AA at the Regional meet.
 Note: Any gymnasts who tie for 7th place will attend the Jr. Olympic National Championships and will be outfitted as the other competitors. The tie-breaking procedures will be used to determine which gymnast's score will count for Regional team score and which will compete as an Individual.
b. If any region is unable to field a team of seven gymnasts per age division, the open slots will be filled based upon the Regional Team results from the previous year.
1) If one spot needs to be filled, the 8th place athlete from the region whose regional team won that division the previous year will fill the spot. All athletes from the 1st place region involved in the tie for 8th place will be used to fill the empty slots before any other region's athletes are assigned.
2) If more than one spot needs to be filled in an age division and there were no ties in the 1st place region, the next individual added is the 8th place athlete from the region whose regional team placed 2nd the previous year.
3) Only athletes from the regions that placed 1st through 3rd in the specific age division the previous year may fill the incomplete squads.
c. If a region fills at least five (5) out of the seven (7) slots, they will compete as a regional team in that age division. The added athletes from the other regions will compete as individuals.
d. If a region has less than five (5) qualifiers in any one age division, the squad of seven is to be filled according to the procedure stated above in b.2), but the squad will not be considered for team score; all of the gymnasts will compete as individuals only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what you're saying and what I'm reading, but you were posting like anyone who makes a 34 can go to Nationals. But it's based on placement UNLESS there aren't enough or the region is so bad no one scores a 34. I can't imagine that happening, because that never happens in our region or 5-7, or TX region or CA region. But you don't go to JO just because you got a 34, there has to be extenuating circumstances. Our region you practically need a 38 to make it to NIT.

I understand what you're saying and what I'm reading, but you were posting like anyone who makes a 34 can go to Nationals. But it's based on placement UNLESS there aren't enough or the region is so bad no one scores a 34. I can't imagine that happening, because that never happens in our region or 5-7, or TX region or CA region. But you don't go to JO just because you got a 34, there has to be extenuating circumstances. Our region you practically need a 38 to make it to NIT.

It does happen, every year, many times. There are Regions that don't have 7 girls in a particular age group, or maybe have 8 to 10 girls in an age groups but only 5 that scored a 34 or better. There are Regions with numbers so low that you are pretty much guranteed a spot if you get at least a 34, because they only average about 7 per age group.

It does happen, every year, many times. There are Regions that don't have 7 girls in a particular age group, or maybe have 8 to 10 girls in an age groups but only 5 that scored a 34 or better. There are Regions with numbers so low that you are pretty much guranteed a spot if you get at least a 34, because they only average about 7 per age group.

Wow! This blows my mind because our region is so competitive its often discouraging and sometimes makes you question if you should even bother going to Regionals.

Our region has 29 or 30 girls in each of the Level 10 age groups.

I only know my half of the country very well, but Region 1 and 3 are the same way, 25 to 35 girls per age group. Region 4 tends to be a little smaller, maybe 15 to 20. Region 2 is the small one that always has extra spots, they average about 4 to 10 per age group. So like your Region, Regions 1 and 3 have many girls every year that score 37+ but don't qualify. While in Region 2, almost every gymnast who gets a 34 will qualify(unless they happen to be in one of the "large" age groups with 10 or 11 gymnasts, then they will need a 35).

And while many would say it's not fair to the girls from the larger Regions that they have a much smaller chance to qualify, it is also unfair to the smaller Regions. Regions with only 50 or 60 level 10's have to compete in the Regional team competition at JO's against Regions that have 175 to 200 levels 10's. It is unfair to them, too.

That's how our level 10 competed at Nationals last year. She was an alternate for our region with a 37+ and got in when one of the other region's girls made the top 7 but had a 32.

I am in Region 2 and we are VERY small. I think my state only 15 MAYBY 20 level 10 gymnasts and 4 of them are in our gym. Which makes sense because with the exception of Washington no one lives here :)

What is/was the reasoning behind the current split of states into regions?

Is there any score inflation within states/regions that fail to field full teams in order to get more kids meeting the minimum score required?

What is/was the reasoning behind the current split of states into regions?

Is there any score inflation within states/regions that fail to field full teams in order to get more kids meeting the minimum score required?

I think the main issue is that there simply aren't enough girls composting in certain age groups. I took a quick look at region 2 from last years regional meet and there wee a couple ages where there were only 4 our 5 girls competing. It looks like region 6 has this problem sometimes to. Coming from a region where you need mid 36+ to be in the running, I had no idea the scarcity of gymnasts in certain parts of the country.

I would love someone toexplain why the qualifying to nationals keeps changing. It's always been top 7. Now this year some age groups are taking 8 or 9 and not because of ties. How is that fair? Are certain age groups special? Because if you take 9 from one age group, what about the girls that were 9th in the other age groups? Are they not worthy enough? Or one who placed 9th only gets to go to NIT and has to pay her own fee while another who placed 9th and gets to be on the team and her way paid plus all the apparel. It's not right! Then you have the group where they take 9 and 10th and 11th place go to NIT, but the other girls who placed 10th and 11th don't get to go. Can of worms!! It is going to (has already) caused a lot of bitterness and sadness.

They need to set a criteria and stick to it across all age groups. It's not right or fair to do otherwise.

Region 2 regionals were this weekend and there were 5 of the 8 L10 divisions have few than 7 girls in it. One division had only one girl period. One had 4 and three others had 6. We just don't have a lot of girls at that level.

One another note, the scoring for the L8 for this region was insane! There were 6 perfect 10s! 6!?!!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back