WAG Need advice from experienced hair masters!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Btw I'm not magical, when I looked they were Dropbox links. Now I see little "?" icons too and I can't see them any more.

I wonder if the forum is chugging away retrieving little bits of images from Dropbox to assimilate into photos. Someone's going to come by this thread and wonder what they were on (about) because they'll eventually just be sitting there viewable in all their glory.

@Aero ? @Aero? Come tell us you've decided on a style before we get too carried away.

yep, deffo twists, and wont last two minutes. I am a great fan of the headband braid and then anything that looks neat after. Lots of the girls in Glasgow had that.

Reactions: COz
Can't see the pics. Just a piece of advice. Whatever hairstyle you decide on, have all the girls wear it to practice a few times, to ensure they can do gymnastics with their hair that way. So many make the mistake of doing a special style on meet day, then they go to warm-up and the hair gets in the way of the gymnastics.

My daughter's gym doesn't "require" buns, but they do a "bun clinic" to show parents how to do them. The odd thing I found is that during our clinic we were told no bobby pins. DD had already competed Xcel Bronze and we'd had no problem doing buns with bobby pins. The techniques shown were honestly WAY harder than making sure bobby pins stay put - i.e. sewing the bun to the head using yarn needles and large thread, or using those bun makers. I dug and dug and couldn't find a single instance on USAG's website about no bobby pins, so I said heck no and continued doing DD's hair the way I had been - high pony, single braid, looped around into a bun using a LOT of hair spray and bobby pins, then the team scrunchy around it. I'm very adept at doing hair, but the LAST thing I want is DD getting a deduction becasue I screwed up on her hair. She has a lot of EXTREMELY FINE hair, and the best way to keep it in place is lots of hair spray and bobby pins.

It's not a cheer team. They aren't being judged on how alike they look. There's no need for a uniform hairstyle IMO. As long as it's up and not hanging at all, that's all that matters.

Our gym insists on buns for team events. Can I suggest you seriously consider the skills which your squad will attempt before choosing a bun. Anything involving forward/back rolls in hard with a bun (unless you opt for a low, side bun)...it tends to throw you off on an angle.

Our gym insists on buns for team events. Can I suggest you seriously consider the skills which your squad will attempt before choosing a bun. Anything involving forward/back rolls in hard with a bun (unless you opt for a low, side bun)...it tends to throw you off on an angle.

For this reason alone, my DD refuses to do a bun.

I still want to see @Aero 's first attempt at a braid :) and I do mean this in a good natured way and I think he's a bit of a good sport. Please try one and take a photo. Pretty please? Pretty pretty please?? :)
@COz | AHHHH! You're killing me! I guess I have to do it, now. You're basically issuing me a challenge, how can I not accept?
challenge_accepted.png

As for the pictures not showing, I apologize. I have them on DropBox, and can't seem to get the DropBox links to work with the "image" button when writing a response. I'll post the direct links instead. I was able to have it work with my above post though! :confused:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuzonojwf5byado/Photo Oct 04, 6 52 20 PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o87jemrmh9d68os/Photo Oct 04, 6 52 06 PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlvl1y085r3k8ox/Photo Oct 04, 6 52 12 PM.jpg?dl=0

And from what I gather, you guys think this style would not be a durable meet style? And it's not technically a braid? What is it then? Are a braid and a plait (pronounced play?) the same thing? AHHHHHHHH! I'll just stick to coaching for the time being. :eek:

Reactions: sce
Panic not, it is much less complicated than coaching!
Braid = plait = three strands of hair crossed over each other in a repeated pattern
Twist = two strands of hair wound round each other - as is only 2 strands it is less secure and far more likely to come loose with exertion
voila!

Good on you @Aero ! :D :D :D I can't wait! :D

Urgh. I broke ChalkBucket. Trying to copy and paste my response to get it to work...

Reactions: sce
Sometimes braid = 'French' plait (pronounced 'plat' where I come from)
French plaits progressively incorporate extra bits of hair into the three strands that are being plaited (think of train tracks running down the head, no I wouldn't describe it like this to a girl, but hey, you just asked how to pronounce plait o_O).

THIS is what I challenge you to do, not just the 3 strands down the bottom, a French plait from the top of the head down the back. Note that I'm not including a bun at the bottom in your challenge... We'll see how this goes first!

- French plait tutorial
But this one with 2 braids is much better...

For competition hair think tight and sprayed. With the loose style you linked you would be redoing half the girls hair by the second apparatus.

Oh, I'd love to see that French braid, Aero!

I have a six year-old girl in my pre-team class who wants to braid my hair (and is actually quite decent at it!) every practice. Surely you can beat her? Haha!

basically the thinner the braid, the tighter it is and the more secure it is, then add on "hair glue" in the form of gel, hairspray or both and it wont move. Plus if the hair is different lengths the ends get tucked in neatly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back