WAG New Penn State article

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Unfortunately, while I'm thrilled with this development, it's treating the symptoms, not the disease. The disease is the Penn State win-at-all-costs culture. Here's what I'd like to see:

-- Just STOP defending Joe Paterno. Enough. When the president is more "appalled" that the media reported newly surfaced allegations than at the surfacing of said allegations, this is a problem.

-- Clean house THOROUGHLY in athletics administration. Do it publicly. Bring in a new AD and hold a big press conference in which the university president stands there with his hand on said AD's shoulder as AD pledges that Penn State's new reputation will be as a university that protects the emotional, ethical, and physical welfare of its athletes.

-- Said new AD, review every blessed sports program from archery to zero gravity tag. Interview the athletes in confidence, and KEEP the damn confidences. By the time the players are scared enough to start going outside the program and searching for intervention from other administrators, the problem is already pretty serious.

-- Review and revise the evaluation system for coaches and incorporate a meaningful set of criteria regarding athlete abuse with real, immediate, and drastic consequences.

And the NCAA needs to wipe the $$ out of its eyes and start worrying as much about this sort of thing as they do about recruiting violations.

I haven't read all the articles. What I don't understand - Where is the responsibility of the university. That is just as shameful as what the coaches are doing themselves.
You can understand if its one sour grape gymnast. But this is numbers of gymnasts.
Crazy... I want Alex to go to a university where her coaches are amazing and balanced.

This was trending on my Facebook feed this morning. Hopefully more news sources pick it up and increase the pressure on Penn State. I wonder if there are any statistics of how many gymnasts quit or transfer out of other D1 schools to compare to how many have left Penn State? I would think having that many athletes leave a program is a rarity.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back