Proposed Changes to the JO levels for the next cycle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nevertooold

Anyone know where to find this info online. I spent a little time looking around USA-gymnastics.org but couldn't find it.

Thank you.

Have the new compulsory elements been published anywhere yet?

Not that I'm aware of.

I'm thinking ahead and wondering if the committee has thought through any alternative options for the naming of the new levels. Can you imagine the countless conversations across the nation when coaches and owners have to explain to parents that even though their child is "moving up" from level 5, the new level will still be called 5. And the poor kids who have to repeat that first year who are told last year you were a level 6 and next year you will repeat 6 except it will be called "5"!!

same thing that happened in 88. and it got hard. so a class 1 [level 10 today] got moved back to level 9. but new level 9 was WAY harder difficulty wise than old class 1. parents were livid for about a year.

I don't think the naming will be an issue. Coaches can quite easily explain to gymnasts and parents that there is a new system and the new level 6 is equivalent to the old level 5.

I think it is the other way round. The new level 5 is the old level 6 - so children might feel they are moving back a level if they repeat level 6. I think it will be confusing and cause some bad feeling/ misunderstanding. I think they should name each level after a skill going up in difficulty.

If they are doing the same skills or basically the same I don't see why it would be confusing to be held at level 6 but have it called 5 unless you are really young.

Are the men's levels doing anything similar?

I think it is the other way round. The new level 5 is the old level 6 - so children might feel they are moving back a level if they repeat level 6. I think it will be confusing and cause some bad feeling/ misunderstanding. I think they should name each level after a skill going up in difficulty.

you are correct gymnut1. and no, there will be no drastic changes to the mens program.

I think this will cause some issues (especially for the compulsary levels). To make a Level 5 become a Level 4 or Level 6 stay a level 6 even after achieving the skills needed for the next level seems counterproductive in terms of the gymnast feeling like they are moving forward after all the hard work they have put in and IMHO could make them feel defeated. Hopefully they will rethink the naming of the levels so this can be avoided.

This is not the first time they have changed things as dunno hass said......I am sure they will look at how things were done before and expect coaches to communicate the changes to their gymnasts and families. kids understand more than we think most of the time.

Things were changed in the mens world not that long ago...... I am sure they will look at how that went too.

I think some parents/coaches are too hung up on what level their gymnasts achieve and what age they are when they reach that level. In reality we should focus on our kids/gymnasts sucesses and skills they have gained and be proud of them at each step of gymnastics. This sport is a long ride not a quick race!!

Sucess in gymnastics is measured differently for each gymnast.

I'm just wondering what the reasoning behind the change? So that the levels beyond level 10 (which, I guess I've mostly heard referred to as "elite"?) will have a number? Or so that the most basic of levels will no longer have a number? Or so that it will be divided in half with the first 5 levels being compuslary and the last 5 levels being optionals? Maybe they should just do what Woodward does and name each level after a food. Level 5 can become "Grilled Cheese Sandwiches," Level 6 "Spaghetti with Meatballs," etc... ;)

While I think it will be confusing for awhile, I don't think it will be too hard for the kids to understand (I am betting more parents will have issues with it!), especially if it is talked about for a bit beforehand, say the summer before the new cycle begins. You simply explain to them that the levels/some skills changed. It won't be like a level 5 that repeats (and will then be called a level 4) will be regressing in actual skills (though I remember some might change a little), just the name of the level, and they certainly won't be the only kid experiencing it. Maybe for a really young child, but most kids should be able to understand if the coaches, parents, etc are all on the same page explaining to them and making sure that they realize that they weren't moved "back" a level, they are in the same level skill wise, it just has a new name.

Maybe they could just refer to the levels by their descriptions. So a level 4 would be an "intermediate compulsory", level 8 "intermediate optional", etc.

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like part of the reason for the change is to insert an additional level between current Levels 8 and 9. At present, the jump from Level 8 to 9 is huge and it looks like the powers that be wanted to insert a level that would be a step between (maybe adding back some of the difficulty that was removed when they changed the Level 8 requirements). I believe that elite will stay elite (it's own separate system from JO) and levels still end with Level 10.

Is this a "done deal" or still being discussed? Is it something they plan on starting next year? This is the first I've heard of it. I wonder if our coaches even know?

MaryA- It has been voted on and approved. It will start with the next USAG Womens JO cycle which runs 2013-2020. So fall season of 2013, the new routines and levels will be used. I imagine by the time it is implemented, gyms and coaches will be aware and getting ready for the changes. :)

Oh, not till 2013. Phew. Actually, assuming she sticks with it and continues to progress, my DD may be somewhere around that level 7-8 transition around then, so having an easier step up from 7 to 8 (or would it be 7 to 7?) may be helpful...

Oh, not till 2013. Phew. Actually, assuming she sticks with it and continues to progress, my DD may be somewhere around that level 7-8 transition around then, so having an easier step up from 7 to 8 (or would it be 7 to 7?) may be helpful...

What's affected is Level 7- Level 8 (using new levels). Under the current level system, it's kids who are Level 8s and are trying to move up to Level 9. They are adding a level in between the current Level 8 and Level 9. If your dd will be a Level 7 in 2013 that will equate to new Level 6 and the transition to Level 7 won't be much different. If she is a Level 8 (current system) in 2013, however, she will be affected. Confusing I know!

Odd, I had not heard a thing about this until now. Should not really affect my dd as she is L9 now - aiming for L10 next season(2012). I can attest to the leap between L8-L9 being a big one, especially after they"dumbed-down" L8 last season(2010). Dd did first season of L8 in 2009 with skills she was not allowed to use in her second season of L8 because the rules had been changed. The skill that sticks out for me was her back-tuck on beam, which in L9 she connects to a switch leap. I know there were a couple other things she left out her
second season, but I do not remember what. Now I'm curious as to what the changes will be...

On a side note: I wish they would up the age requirements on some of the upper levels - not drastically, just by a year or so. I just think it would slow down some of the crazy coaches and parents - and give these little girls time to mature emotionally/mentally/physically.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back