Proposed Changes to the JO levels for the next cycle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This really won't affect our daughter because she is a L9 now but I was mildly curious so I looked at the chart Shawn linked and now I have a question. Will it be possible to skip the new level 6 [Beginner Optional] without ever competing it to achieve a minimum mobility score? [Since it says competition is not required to advance to the next level.] I guess this will affect our gym as they will have to start competing L4 [I realize this is really L5] but they will need to have another level team and that may be an issue for them.

The boys stuff, basically will be 2 streams, a more Elite track and just a National level track. The whole thing is modeled on what was the Japanese system. Not sure about routine composition changes or anything like that. Shall wait and see

What I also read was "we are going to start doing fun meets with the boys in Level 1-3 to try to hook more before they are lost to soccer etc.".

My son began competing at Class 7 and then did a second year at the same level right when they changed the names of their levels. So, his second year he was a level 4. I don't really remember there being any issues with anyone on the change in names (either boys or their parents) Maybe this was because the change just made their levels match the names of the girls levels.

My son began competing at Class 7 and then did a second year at the same level right when they changed the names of their levels. So, his second year he was a level 4. I don't really remember there being any issues with anyone on the change in names (either boys or their parents) Maybe this was because the change just made their levels match the names of the girls levels.

that ^^^ is correct.

I notice that in the "new" level 3 (current level 4) a kip is an option for the bar mount. Is that "on the books" now and just nobody ever does it, or is that new?

I notice that in the "new" level 3 (current level 4) a kip is an option for the bar mount. Is that "on the books" now and just nobody ever does it, or is that new?

It's a current option but in the 3 years my kids did level 4, I've only seen it done once at a meet.

It is not an option in USAG. I believe it is an option in AAU.

It is not an option in USAG. I believe it is an option in AAU.

I stand corrected. When my kids were level 4 a couple of years ago they were told they could do a kip if they had it but none of them did and they didn't work on it much. We did see it once in a meet but that was probably 3 to 4 years ago.

don't hold your breath...it'll still change some.

Yeah. They won't release the final version until spring or early summer 2013.

I'm glad to see the (old) L2 and 3 vaults changed though. I hope that stays.

I like the proposed changes to the girls routines, especially not limiting the number of running steps into tumbling and adding the option of a bhs on beam. My dd always liked bhs better than bwo on beam and asked if you can do the harder skill why can't you. It makes sense to me since the bwo is mainly at this point a lead up to a bhs.

I only glanced over the boys program, but it seemed too complicated to me. I don't like the idea of having to streams for the guys. There are already so many fewer guys competing compared with the girls. Why put them in separate streams so they'll have even fewer to compete against?

As big of a change as this is, I can see why they are doing this. Its such a big jump from level 8 to 9, and sometimes 9 to 10. My gym almost always makes people compete 8 twice. That way they can compete level 8, and then compete level 8 with their skills maxed out and their level 9 skills prepared.

Still, with where I am now, I could be in the new 8, 9, or 10 by that point.

I think that their just trying to make the gap smaller. I remember the change from 5-6 being very easy, as well as 6-7 on floor and vault.

I stand corrected. When my kids were level 4 a couple of years ago they were told they could do a kip if they had it but none of them did and they didn't work on it much. We did see it once in a meet but that was probably 3 to 4 years ago.

It was an option when I was competing level 4 (1997-98), but has not been for some time in USAG. We also had the option of a squat through or front handspring vault on the old vault! I imagine level 4 meets were a heck of a lot uglier to the observers.

As far as the changes, I'm nervous. I totally understand the need for a step between level 8 and 9, especially with lowering the level 8 requirements last season. And the changes in names don't really concern me, the skills are basically the same with a few new options. Parents will flip but I think it will wear off once they see Suzie learning new skills/routines. Well, I'm laughing as I type this because I know in some cases that won't be the case.
My problem is the confusion with where to start competition and the confusion that will cause. I already see it a little bit in some gyms with competitive level 3 where girl A who is not expected to advance much farther is sent to level 2 competitive while girl B who is very talented is sent to pre-team to work towards competing level 4/5 in a few years. It just seems like it will be tricky to explain those decisions to parents and kids. But I guess that is already happening in some places, and would continue at those gyms regardless of the changes.
I actually feel better about it after reading the linked documents than I did when it was first explained to me (via message boards, HC at my gym probably doesn't even know this is happening). I was under the initial impression that there would be a greater push to get kids into competition early on which I think is a little ridiculous in terms of costs to the parents, earlier emphasis on scores/placements rather than skill achievement, and just leading to an increased need for outward motivation at an earlier age/level. It's good to see that those lower levels are still not required and can be used as developmental levels if the program chooses. It will be interesting to see if competition at the lower levels really takes off with the new program or continues at about the same rate.

As big of a change as this is, I can see why they are doing this. Its such a big jump from level 8 to 9, and sometimes 9 to 10. My gym almost always makes people compete 8 twice. That way they can compete level 8, and then compete level 8 with their skills maxed out and their level 9 skills prepared.

Still, with where I am now, I could be in the new 8, 9, or 10 by that point.

I think that their just trying to make the gap smaller. I remember the change from 5-6 being very easy, as well as 6-7 on floor and vault.

Agreed, the current jump from 8 to 9 for girls is a HUGE jump in difficulty.

The boys stuff, basically will be 2 streams, a more Elite track and just a National level track. The whole thing is modeled on what was the Japanese system. Not sure about routine composition changes or anything like that. Shall wait and see

My concern with the track system, is that it doesn't seem necessary to decide in advance whether someone has elite potential or if they just aren't cut out for it. Fast tracked athletes can plateau, and those who seem to be going with the flow can really sprint ahead at times.

I dunno. It is what it is. So might as well go with it..right? LOL. No sense fighting something you can't change. Looks like Miss Kadee will end up being a L3 for two years. (even though one year will be under the old requirements and the second will be under the new one). Thats if she only does the current L3 for one year, if she has to repeat the current level 3 in 2013, then she would get bumped back to a L2. Which would be hard to explain..lol. Do a year of L2, then a year of L3, then back to L2..lol. Our gym is already thinking of giving the levels "nick names" this year (2012 comp season)so as when it changes (2013 season) they will get the "new level" name and no one feels like they are going back a level, or repeating a level that "most" dont. This doesnt take away from when they go to comps being called by their "true" level. But maybe it will help with the overall feel of it. Im not really worried about it. If and when Kadee is still in it she will still be pretty young (she will turn 7 Aug of 2013) so she SHOULD be pretty easy to deal with with it. I can understand some of the older girls at the higher levels (almost all are higher levels in her eyes..lol) might get a little bent about "repeating" a level number or even being knocked back a level number. But I agree once they see that its not just them, and that they are indeed learning new skills, or staying at the same skill level they were, it should smooth itself out by comp season. It might be a little rough there for a bit..some might get their feathers ruffled..but I truely believe once they see how things are panning out, they will get over it. They don't have a choice do they?..lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back