Parents Puma Jr is having a rough time :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is essentially a meet. There will be some extra things noted. Things like best effort, best smile, best CW or whatever.

But it is a meet, the hosts are technically the judges. We have done them every year. Its just another meet on our schedule. We don't do the same one as Puma though. So I can't speak to that Judges Cup, just ours.

I guess it depends on the region. Judges Cup is just a regular meet, but the first meet of the season and "hosted" by the judges. There are no "extra" cutesy awards at ours, and the biggest difference is that rather than having a standard judges panel throughout the meet (with some exceptions) the judges panel changes each session to include as many judges as possible.

I guess it depends on the region. Judges Cup is just a regular meet, but the first meet of the season and "hosted" by the judges. There are no "extra" cutesy awards at ours, and the biggest difference is that rather than having a standard judges panel throughout the meet (with some exceptions) the judges panel changes each session to include as many judges as possible.
Interesting! The only one I know of is held before the official start of the season, and girls can get critiques in addition to scores. We were also told that girls could compete skills rather than full routines. It must really lack a standard definition!

Interesting! The only one I know of is held before the official start of the season, and girls can get critiques in addition to scores. We were also told that girls could compete skills rather than full routines. It must really lack a standard definition!
And for us it is not the first meet of the season, never is. No one has done just skills.

It is for us just a regular meet which happens to be hosted by judges. Treated no different then any other meet, except that it is not a state qualifier, so I guess some might stress less about scores.

At ours, the judges give score RANGES. They make comments on the sheets to let girls know what they did well / what they need to work on. It was very helpful in YG's first year of Xcel and a couple of our girls had the their routines evaluated as both L6 and Xcel Platinum … to help decide which they should compete. The compulsories got their score ranges and what they needed to work on so the coaches could see if there was any area that a lot of girls struggled with that they could focus on in practice.
Judges Cup Xcel Eval.jpg

They have a very similar sheet for the JO Optional levels and a slightly different one for compulsories too.

Raen, we don't get anything like that.

The girls do get feed back at their mock meet. Where gym brings in judges. They chat with the girls. Review specific skills individually. The judges really give the girls great feedback.

Our Judges Cup has regular scoring, but no team awards. There is no extra information given. The Judges Cup is really meant fir the judges to become more adept at Judging. they have extra, more senior judges working with them.

Our gym hosts a mock meet where judges cone in and score the girls and then give the coaches specific feedback.

This is fascinating- our Judges Cup is just a regular old meet, as best I can remember from last year. Individual and Team awards, no additional feedback.

This is very interesting! Apparently Judges Cups are quite different in different areas. I'm excited to find out about ours. Two weeks...! FYI: I think the "mental health break" really helped. The last three practices have been great. So good to see her bounding off the mats smiling and chatty instead of negative and beaten down. I'm sure it won't be the last bump in the road, but hopefully she's learning how to deal with these things. Thank you again for everyone's kind words and good mojo! :)

Yay, so glad she is on the upswing. Sometimes they just need it. I just let my 3rd grader take a day off school when she was "sick". She'd never asked before and the the day before she really did not feel great. However, we both knew the day was much more mental than physical and that's ok.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back