WAG The ugly side of college gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just WOW. The eating disorders are particularly disturbing, not to mention the training through injuries. I wonder if this will prompt girls at other schools to come forward. And will it deter athletes from committing to PSU?

Just WOW. The eating disorders are particularly disturbing, not to mention the training through injuries. I wonder if this will prompt girls at other schools to come forward. And will it deter athletes from committing to PSU?
Well I can't see how this could be good publicity

I have two friends who have left this school. One a walk on one had a full ride. There's more people and stories than this article even touches on.

But according to a few commenters on the article ( especially one named Kassidy), ALL these people "couldn't hack college gym" .."sour grapes" etc....rubbish! And Penn St isn't the only horror story out there but surprisingly ( or maybe not) , the administration is ignoring these people too! By the time you get to NCAA level, you can more than "hack it"...

But according to a few commenters on the article ( especially one named Kassidy), ALL these people "couldn't hack college gym" .."sour grapes" etc....rubbish! And Penn St isn't the only horror story out there but surprisingly ( or maybe not) , the administration is ignoring these people too! By the time you get to NCAA level, you can more than "hack it"...
I am surprised that the turnover rate on the team has not caused the administration to act. There are programs out there(Stanford comes to mind), that can go 15 years without losing an athlete. For an entire class of 8 PSU athletes, for NONE of them to make it to senior year with the team is a huge red flag. Even if the administration is inclined to believe coaches over athletes, that alone should cause admin to act.

I couldn't help but keep reading all of Kassidy's comments. Sounds like she would defend the Thompsons against anything and everything.

I am surprised that the turnover rate on the team has not caused the administration to act. There are programs out there(Stanford comes to mind), that can go 15 years without losing an athlete. For an entire class of 8 PSU athletes, for NONE of them to make it to senior year with the team is a huge red flag. Even if the administration is inclined to believe coaches over athletes, that alone should cause admin to act.
Two words for how Penn State handles these matters...Jerry Sandusky

I would believe this of PSU, and of multiple college programs. We like to think all of that got left in the 90s, but it's still there.

No, this is a new story, another individual, another revelation.
Actually, it was posted on another NCAA thread but it is buried several pages deep and not really related to the original topic. So it is good that this has its own thread. Important topic to keep in the spotlight.

As I said in the other thread, I think you are seeing disparity in how people view this because they come from different backgrounds and are shaped by what they might consider questionable tactics vs. unethical practices, vs abuse. I personally feel they crossed the line and certainly the school has not handled this properly with no apparent impartial investigation. There are certainly enough corroborating allegations from several gymnasts and at least one coach to warrant a proper investigation and if not from the school, then from the NCAA. Having said that, we all know this kind of "coaching" goes on across the country in middle/high school and college football programs and people tend to be far more accepting of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back