WAG TOPs Hopes Elite results - secret?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This thread has brought up something I had never thought about before. I can't enter a JO kid in a LEVEL FIVE competition without having her first prove her proficiency at level 4, or go through a petition process to prove her readiness. But a coach can enter a kid in an elite qualifier to compete the elite compulsories and optional routines with no prior verification of any level of skill proficiency?! Yikes!

I don't disagree with coaches taking young talents to qualifiers, I just wish they would use better judgement at times... In this case it was well worth it and worked for this kid who had competed level 5 in 2009 and tested in 2010.

I don't disagree with coaches taking young talents to qualifiers, I just wish they would use better judgement at times... In this case it was well worth it and worked for this kid who had competed level 5 in 2009 and tested in 2010.

This kid also made the TOPS National Team in 2009, which would qualify as skill varification, and ready to test elite, in my book.

Are you sure this is the case? There are hopes girls that competed in the optional hopes sessions at Gliders who only scored in the mid 20's in the compulsory session. And junior elites who competed in the junior elite optional session that only scored in the 30 range on their compulsories.

You can't be an elite until you pass the compulsory but I guess you can enter both in the same weekend. Presumably so you could get the score for both. I didn't think you could just enter optionals though, if you haven't passed compulsory. I think having the pass is enough of a basic test, if you don't pass you don't pass.

We were busy with Brestyans Qualifier this weekend but I read this all with great interest. To the person who said that you should have to be a solid Level 10 and score above a 37.5 to test...that is kind of crazy. The video I posted is of Sophia and she has never even scored a 37 in level 10...NOT YET but scored a 53.5 with the above routines....Coaches all have their reasons for testing!!! Some good and some not as good but WE don't know the stories or the why's...

We were busy with Brestyans Qualifier this weekend but I read this all with great interest. To the person who said that you should have to be a solid Level 10 and score above a 37.5 to test...that is kind of crazy. The video I posted is of Sophia and she has never even scored a 37 in level 10...NOT YET but scored a 53.5 with the above routines....Coaches all have their reasons for testing!!! Some good and some not as good but WE don't know the stories or the why's...

I think the person who suggested the 37.5 at level 10 meant for junior/senior elite, not hopes. Think she suggested a level 9 score for hopes.

But, regardless, she looks amazing! And I think Sophia would more than satisfy any reasonable person's definition of qualified to test elite (she qualified to JO Nationals and was a National event champ last year).

Omg! I have been waiting to see Sophia as an elite. But why is she only doing hopes? She really is beyond ready for elite! She has such lovely form! Congratulations to her!!

Reactions: sce
We were busy with Brestyans Qualifier this weekend but I read this all with great interest. To the person who said that you should have to be a solid Level 10 and score above a 37.5 to test...that is kind of crazy. The video I posted is of Sophia and she has never even scored a 37 in level 10...NOT YET but scored a 53.5 with the above routines....Coaches all have their reasons for testing!!! Some good and some not as good but WE don't know the stories or the why's...[/QUOTE]

I was just coming to post your video on this thread. Sophia is a prime example of what should be. She is just plain gorgeous, beautiful precision, attention to detail, flexibility, lovely skills, presentation and connection to the music in her dance. She has great basics across all 4 pieces and she is at a club that can take her far. She is a joy to watch , thank you for sharing.

I think the person who suggested the 37.5 at level 10 meant for junior/senior elite, not hopes. Think she suggested a level 9 score for hopes.

But, regardless, she looks amazing! And I think Sophia would more than satisfy any reasonable person's definition of qualified to test elite (she qualified to JO Nationals and was a National event champ last year).

Yes I said a solid score at L9 for hopes testing, not L10.

Sophia killed those routines, and I always expected that she would. She is exactly the kind of gymnast that should be testing.

THANKS

Omg! I have been waiting to see Sophia as an elite. But why is she only doing hopes? She really is beyond ready for elite! She has such lovely form! Congratulations to her!!

Thanks! She tested on a broken foot and just didn't have the numbers the last month to have all her difficulty in her routines! So HOPES it is!

Wow, how do you go from L5 (more like new L4?) to double pike in a year :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back