WAG TOPs Hopes Elite results - secret?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would think it would help the kids that didn't qualify to compete, even if they end up not qualifying at all this year. Several of the kids had 0.0s on vault. I'm assuming they didn't have the compulsory vault. Certainly it doesn't hurt them to see how their other routines score so they can tweak for next year.

I would think it would help the kids that didn't qualify to compete, even if they end up not qualifying at all this year. Several of the kids had 0.0s on vault. I'm assuming they didn't have the compulsory vault. Certainly it doesn't hurt them to see how their other routines score so they can tweak for next year.

The problem is the requirements get harder as they get older so if they are behind this year then they have even more to catch up next year. Realistically if you are struggling to get the pass marks at any age, national team is a really really long shot. There is just too far to go. And the elite scene in its own right in the US doesn't seem big enough to make it worth it. Because level 10 with its own nationals and NIT and the fabulousness that is college gymnastics is such an attractive alternative.

Reactions: sce
Slight tangent, but are there gyms/coaches that train and compete some girls in HOPEs just because it's something different from JO that is fun and interesting, and maybe gets some travel and exposure for the coaches? In other words, girls that are talented but unlikely to ever pass an elite qualifier, and definitely won't be making a national team, but want to train along a different track than JO? Kind of like some gyms train or even compete girls in TOPs who will never actually be competitive in it, just for the unique experience?

I feel like I'm seeing this happen near me, so just curious if this was a pattern.

Slight tangent, but are there gyms/coaches that train and compete some girls in HOPEs just because it's something different from JO that is fun and interesting, and maybe gets some travel and exposure for the coaches? In other words, girls that are talented but unlikely to ever pass an elite qualifier, and definitely won't be making a national team, but want to train along a different track than JO? Kind of like some gyms train or even compete girls in TOPs who will never actually be competitive in it, just for the unique experience?

I feel like I'm seeing this happen near me, so just curious if this was a pattern.

I would hope not as it is so expensive for the parents and a huge commitment for the gym and coaches. There are plenty of great travel meets and experiences kids can have within the JO system surely.

The problem is the requirements get harder as they get older so if they are behind this year then they have even more to catch up next year. Realistically if you are struggling to get the pass marks at any age, national team is a really really long shot. There is just too far to go. And the elite scene in its own right in the US doesn't seem big enough to make it worth it. Because level 10 with its own nationals and NIT and the fabulousness that is college gymnastics is such an attractive alternative.

But.. With respect to College gymnastics, it's starting to look to me like girls need elite/ National Team experience to get scholarships to the top teams. Am I wrong?

But.. With respect to College gymnastics, it's starting to look to me like girls need elite/ National Team experience to get scholarships to the top teams. Am I wrong?

Why do they need to go to "the top teams"? There are plenty of teams outside of the top ten with scholarships.

How many junior elites are they going to field? What are the chances that there are not enough with qualifying score of 52? Will they go down to 51.5 ?

In the Hopes youngest age group there are many scores in the 4-5 range. What would be the coaching reason to take a young kid, then score in a range that obviously means they are not ready. That's not even taking into account the cost of it all, travel, coaching fees etc. is this just gyms taking advantage ?

Reactions: sce
How many junior elites are they going to field? What are the chances that there are not enough with qualifying score of 52? Will they go down to 51.5 ?

Some will qualify to classics from last years P&G. They also can play with the qualifying score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back