What exactly happens after the arm cast comes off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kbuhler

My DD's cast should be coming off either this week or in the next couple of weeks. We want to make sure that it is 100% before we take it off prematurely. She dislocated her wrist and had it placed back into place almost 6 weeks ago. The doctor tells us that after it is off she is to wear some sort of splint. For those of you with more experience, could you tell me what exactly happens to the gymnast and her training after she gets it off? What can they do? Is it more of conditioning? What do coaches do to help them regain strength. I DO NOT want her to have any chance of reinjuring it (knock on wood). Are there drills they do? When do they start really using the arm? What magical thing happens so they know they can tumble on it? When do they start working on bars? When are they back to full activity? Except for 2 sick days and 2 days after her injury, she has gone to all practices and conditioned. She's a level 6 and her first meet is at the end of March. Is there enough time? Thanks so much in advance.:) I love reading this site. It really is very interesting!

Ok, a dislocation and fracture are totally different injuries. Many times with a dislocation there is also some ligament damage and those ligaments need time to heal. Since you said the doctor has indicated he will put her in a splint, my guess would be she will still be limited in the use of that arm/hand. The advantage of a splint is she will probably be allowed to take if off to shower(YEAH!) and the doctor may give her some easy exercises to do at home to start getting some range of motion/strength back---obviously out of the splint.

All the questions you posted here are great and should be answered by the orthopedic surgeon. Jot them down on a notepad before dd's next appointment and make sure you get decent info from her doctor. The doctor may not be able to give you an exact date on when she can actually compete and may leave it he'll judge that on her progress with the splint and some increased movement.

Like the above poster stated a dislocation is a different injury. But FWIW my DD went from a cast to a splint. She really was not permitted to do any add'l gym stuff she was able to remove it to shower and to sleep. That was nice.

We got a stress ball for her to squeeze while she was in the cast & splint, but you may want to check with your DD's doctor to make sure it is ok for her.

DD was fully cleared the day her splint came off for good. But your doctor will be your best resource

go slow. range of motion will be diminished and atrophy will have affected the musculature. so, go nice and slow. no rush and let pain or discomfort be the guide.

Thank you very much. I do appreciate all of your posts. She seems to be able to do a lot more with the hand that has the cast on it. For instance, she was using a fork, showering etc so she seems to be improving. She has not mentioned pain in a week or so. I appreciate all of your responding.

Thank you. We did get the ball and she has been doing it and even more. How long was your DD splint on? She will be SO GLAD to be able to take it off at times :) She can't stand the smell. The interesting thing about asking the OS about when to take it off is we found out today he went to Haiti for a week to help with the medical relief there. Isn't that cool for him. Thanks again.

She definitely should spend time conditioning & getting the range of motion back in the arm-ask your ortho or Pt for guidance w/ that. I have my gymnasts start slowly back by having them be a Level 1 gymnast for a few days, then a L2, then a L3 etc- the comeback speed depends on the injury & their fitness level/ no pain, etc.

Thank you. We did get the ball and she has been doing it and even more. How long was your DD splint on? She will be SO GLAD to be able to take it off at times :) She can't stand the smell. The interesting thing about asking the OS about when to take it off is we found out today he went to Haiti for a week to help with the medical relief there. Isn't that cool for him. Thanks again.

She had her splint on for 4 weeks. I will admit the last week she was doing beam mounts using her hand with the splint on)
her hard cast was on for 4.5 weeks prior to getting the splint.

My 4 year old peeled off the bar and broke the growth plates in her wrist in mid September. We were forbidden by her ortho to even enter the gym while her cast was on and for one week after. However, they said that gym was the best p.t. and to let her do what she was capable of after she returned. She struggled with strength for a few weeks but the coaches helped her with it. She could do a pullover and a back hip circle right away but she couldn't do a front support on the bar for a couple of weeks. By week 3 she was back to herself and had picked up some new skills in the process. She is a 4 year old level 4. MY ADVICE IS TO LISTEN TO HER ORTHO AND DON'T RUSH IT! IT WORKED FOR MY DD. Hope this helps.

Broken Wrist--Cast Update

Thank you so much for all your responses. They were so helpful and helped us as we made some decisions today. My DD went in today after 6 weeks and had the cast taken off. The xray looks great but there is some pain still there. The OS actually walked in the room with the 2 choices of braces for her to transition to. But after doing some manual drills he suggested that we give it another 10 days. DD was understandably dissapointed but we didn't want any risk of reinjury. 10 days is reasonable compared to another 6-8 weeks if we reinjure it. Thanks for all your suggestions. He did give her a stress ball, some silly putty material, 2 pages of exercises and told her to go home and start doing some strength exercises. He also told her to try to use a 2 lb weight. Some of his decision was made based on the fact that my DD looked scared to death to move her arm and it was hard for her to distinguish if she was in pain or just sore because she hadn't moved it in 6 weeks. The skin also looked horrible and the hand so frail. So mentally and physically this was the best decision to let it have 10 more days to heal. Again thanks to all of you.

A couple of minor questions. 1st meet is March 27. Final cast comes off on Feb 1. Then she uses a brace. Do you think she'll have enough time? She won state in bars last year and took 2nd floor and beam and AA out of the 40 girls in her age division. So this is killing her. Since December 10, the date of her injury, she has only missed 2 injury practices and 2 ill practices. She's gone to all the practices, worked beam, conditioned, dance on floor, running drills for vault but no bars. Thoughts? What can I say to her to encourage her.>This is the DD who had her apendix removed 3 wks after state in July and who in November had finally conditioned back and gotten her 6 skills. Thoughts? You all mention fairies. I think I need an encouragement fairy for both of us!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back