Bridge Kickover Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am in recreational gymnastics and I started in the level 2 program. We had to have our bridge kickover to move. I had mine, but it wasn't consistent. I moved up to level three and I was able to fake it whenever I couldn't do my kickover. Now I'm moving up to level 4 and I can't do that anymore because of back walkover. I have a strong handstand, a good bridge and backbend, and my full splits, but I still can't always get over. I can do it on a wedge mat and a panel mat, just not on the floor. I need to have it on the floor in 4 days, so I need help. I have my back handspring, so I don't understand why I can't do a simple bridge kickover.

It's impossible to know what's wrong with your kickover without actually seeing it. What does your coach say ? A possible idea to work on might be pushing through your shoulders (as opposed to "only" kicking the leg up), but really, no way to know without seeing it.
If you are indeed as flexible as you say you are (good splits, good bridge which mean good shoulder flexibility), you should be able to do it physically, so the problem might be technical.

Also, be careful of backbending skills as they can be bad on your back, especially if you do them with bad technique.

You want to get to the ground, not just handstand. You need to shift your chest position (arched in the bridge, but try to go to hollow after kicking).

Also make sure to fully push through your foot instead of taking off from just the heel.

Just please do not practice these at home. Your back will thank you for that later.

My coach keeps saying to kick over not up, but I'm not sure what he means.
I'm not sure (although I have some ideas) because 1. I'm not american and english isn't my first language and 2. kickovers are not really a skill that we teach a lot here.
You should ask your coach for clarification. If you still don't understand, it's alright to tell him : maybe ask him to spot you so that you can actually feel the difference ? Each person's brain is different : some gymnasts are very intellectual about it and need to be explained, while others have to feel it to get it.

I am in recreational gymnastics and I started in the level 2 program. We had to have our bridge kickover to move. I had mine, but it wasn't consistent. I moved up to level three and I was able to fake it whenever I couldn't do my kickover. Now I'm moving up to level 4 and I can't do that anymore because of back walkover. I have a strong handstand, a good bridge and backbend, and my full splits, but I still can't always get over. I can do it on a wedge mat and a panel mat, just not on the floor. I need to have it on the floor in 4 days, so I need help. I have my back handspring, so I don't understand why I can't do a simple bridge kickover.
I suggest getting spotted lighter and lighter every single time you do it, and also just really practicing 24/7 to get it because I understand how frustrating it could be not to move up because of a simple skill like a back walkover. I also suggest looking up at home drills you can do on Google for backbend kickovers and walkovers.

I've been working on it all morning, I can do it off of 2 inches. When I try it on the floor I can't even get to split handstand. I have about 6 hours to get it, and I don't know how. Should I do it with straight or bent legs? It doesn't have to be pretty. I'll work on technique later but right now I just need to get it.

It's impossible to know what's wrong with your kickover without actually seeing it. What does your coach say ? A possible idea to work on might be pushing through your shoulders (as opposed to "only" kicking the leg up), but really, no way to know without seeing it.
If you are indeed as flexible as you say you are (good splits, good bridge which mean good shoulder flexibility), you should be able to do it physically, so the problem might be technical.

Also, be careful of backbending skills as they can be bad on your back, especially if you do them with bad technique.
What do you mean push through your shoulders?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back