Dating people in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey,
So what does everyone think about 2 people from the same gym dating each other?? there's only one couple right now from my gym that i know about...but i could be wrong....but I know that 1 of the optional guys likes one of my best friends and she likes him back....and i know that this one kid and i keep making awkward eye contact...(don't get me wrong...i don't mind the awkwardness) hahah:) but anyway, what does everyone think about this?

It depends on your gym I'd say. My experience doesn't come from gym but other sports. I once casually dated a guy on my ice hockey team. I was the only girl so when that ended things were awkward. (I think there was more drama on my guys hockey teams than my girls track teams lol!) I just finished running for a big DI college track program and our two best multis (the ones who do all the events) were in a long term relationship. On the junior national team we were NOT allowed to date. The coach was into his 70s and on kidney dialysis but he ruled with an iron fist. We were based out of a... not great part of town but if boys came by the girls he sent them running. He said they distracted us and made us lose our focus. So if your coach is okay with your friend dating the guy, I'd say go for it. But have her think first! It's even more important to keep your athletic priorities straight in that situation. Have her think about what would happen if things ended and possibly talk to the guy in your gym too. You never want to sacrifice yourself and what you work your bum off for just for a guy. But good relationships come from people having common goals and values and interests, so it'd make sense why that'd come up.

But it is possible, I'm engaged to a ski school co-worker and we also trained at the same ski club for a bit ;-)

I wouldn't feel comfortable going out with anyone at my gym - it would just be too awkward, especially if we broke up. I don't think the coaches would approve of it, though they don't care who I date, or if I date, outside of gym. There's some ideological conflict there that I don't want to get into in my gymnastics life.

I don't think the coaches would approve of it

Far as I can see, it's none of our business who our students date, so long as it doesn't affect their workout.

That said, I think of all my girls as something between a daughter and a sister, and will admit to therefore being a bit defensive of them. On the occasions where one of my boys has dated one of my girls, I've pulled the guy aside to tell him 1) if he doesn't behave himself, he won't just have to answer to the girl's parents but also to me, so he dang well better treat her right and 2) congratulations on one heck of a catch.

If my athletes wanna date each other, & their parents don't disapprove, goodie. I care about all of my gymnasts not just as gym-machines but as people. We're cool that way.

BONUS: If 2 of my athletes were dating I know both of them have a significant other who understands why they spend so much time at the gym.

WOW...Thank God TayTay is only 6. She doesn't like to have boys sharing the gym with her. Oh my goodness.

I would say "very cool!" More proof that gymnasts do have lives too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back