WAG Dealing with the Crazies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
More out of curiosity as I have no say in what actually happens but:
What do you do with the athletes who have crazy parents, parents who are causing problems not only with other parents but with the gym. I don't want to go into many specifics now, but they are definitely causing problems that could lead to very bad things for the gym.
Do you kick the family out even though the kid is hard working and has nothing to do with the parents?
Do you wait it out for a little then make a decision? Or what do you do?
Keep in mind this is a non-profit organization, so run by board members (with crazies on it) not privately owned and run.

It sounds like we are in very similar situations! I used to get very upset over the crazy/annoying/downright mean parents and have tried to deal with them the best I can. Some things I have found useful:

1. Starting a new culture of NOT crazy parents - you can't always tell which ones they are, but it helps to get a good feel of the parents and their personalities before you invite their kid to team.

2. Sit down and actually talk to the Crazy. They might open up, or you might understand their situation better, or you might realize they just are way too out there to be helped. Either way, it shows you're trying and they will appreciate that.

3. Have consistent policies. We have a "Parent Policy" at our gym. It's the same as a discipline policy for kids, but for the parents. Unfortunately, it is very necessary. Outline what is inappropriate behavior and what the consequences are. Treat everyone equally and stick to your word. Maybe they are banned from being in the gym and watching for a week/month/etc. Maybe they and their kid must take two weeks off. Maybe you have to ask them to try another gym because yours is not a good fit for them (In general, whenever a parent is insane, they are not a "good fit" for my gym!).

4. Stay calm. Remember that most rational people can spot the Crazies and feel bad for those who have to deal with them. Ignore the gossip, rude talk, or plain stupid things they say.

5. Maintain authority! Rules are rules and apply to everyone, including Crazies! Be respectful but firm and do not allow anything you think is not fair or right.

If you're not in a position to do anything about terrible parents, it can be soul-sucking. In that situation, just turn your mind off, smile, and get away as fast as you can :)

i'd introduce the rope to the crazies. but that's just me. :)

Yeah, I have an of how to use the rope (just for the crazies) to the benefit of all.........

Tie their hands to the steering wheel and teach them to drive, drop-off or pick up, and leave...... repeat repeat, repeat as needed.

Take the child off team... Sad, but either way they need to leave. Also, 9 times out of 10, problem parent equals problem child in the end, or they just run off to the next gym. Focus on the good kids and parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back