WAG Eastern/western level 9 qualifying

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
Anyone know the logic behind USGA decision to have set numbers of qualifiers for each age groups regardless of size of the age groups?

For those unfamiliar, top 7 girls at each age groups qualify - 16 age groups. Some age groups in some regions are HUGE - 22 level 9s Jr. 1 in Region 1 last year compared to some age groups with less than 9 gymnasts. Usually these younger age groups tend to be much more competitive than the senior age groups at level 9. Girls with 37.5s were missing the cut.

Why don't they recalculate age groups to have even numbers? Or a lot more spots for the age groups with larger number of gumnasts?

They try to make the age groups even in total numbers across the country. So while an age group may be relatively big in Region one, there will be less in the same age group in other Regions. The age groups have to have the same birthdate range in each Region so when they get to Nationals they are competing against girls the same age.

They limit the numbers in order to contain the size of the national championships. 112 girls from each region times 8 regions equals 900 gymnasts for the championship! They really can't handle more than that in a weekend. Before last year, they had only 6 girls making it in each division (12 in the west, as they had 8 divisions instead of 16). As to why they use the set age groups instead of just taking the top 56 regardless of age, I think that comes from L10 where it creates more of an even playing field so that younger (usually newer) L10's are not competing against junior and seniors who have been in L10 multiple years.

I know your question was about Easterns/Westerns at Level 9 but did I read somewhere that Nationals are changing this year so more girls qualify? Does anyone know how many girls will qualify?

I know your question was about Easterns/Westerns at Level 9 but did I read somewhere that Nationals are changing this year so more girls qualify? Does anyone know how many girls will qualify?

For level 10 Nationals, it will now be the top 7 girls in 12 age groups from all 8 regions. 672 girls total. It used to be top 7 girls in 8 age groups from all 8 regions (448) and then the 8th and 9th place athlete from each age group in each region qualified to the National Invitational Tournament (128). There will be no more NIT. Just Nationals. Period.

My understanding is that the change in effect this year increases the number of gymnasts that go to JO because they are doing away with Jo Nit. However, they now have less girls doing any kind of national championship.

"Qualification to Jr. Olympic Nationals
a. The top seven (7) All-Around gymnasts in each of the twelve age divisions from each of the eight regions will compete as Regional Team members at the Jr. Olympic National Championships, provided that they achieve a minimum of 34.00 AA at the Regional meet. "

For level 10 Nationals, it will now be the top 7 girls in 12 age groups from all 8 regions. 672 girls total. It used to be top 7 girls in 8 age groups from all 8 regions (448) and then the 8th and 9th place athlete from each age group in each region qualified to the National Invitational Tournament (128). There will be no more NIT. Just Nationals. Period.

Thanks for explaining. So it is what I originally thought it was. More girls are going to nationals. I got confused at the mention of 16 age groups.

I just realized my confusion. The two posts above were about two different levels. I thought they changed JO again! Sorry, it is late.

Thanks! So more girls have a chance. That's great! Why the change??

Thanks! So more girls have a chance. That's great! Why the change??

So that more high level gymnasts have a chance to compete on the national stage. And also to eliminate the distinction between Nationals and the National Invitational Tournament, because, all of those gymnasts are competing on the national stage.

So that more high level gymnasts have a chance to compete on the national stage. And also to eliminate the distinction between Nationals and the National Invitational Tournament, because, all of those gymnasts are competing on the national stage.
I get it. Bottom line is more girls will be able to go.

So the next question then is why don't they reconfigure the regions? Surely, USAG is aware of this problem.

so who do we send the change.org petition to? Lol - I'm guessing region 2 is opposed to any sort of change?
Actually, it is my understanding that Region 2 is open to change. There was recently some talk of moving Norcal from Region 1 to Region 2, and I believe it was initiated by Region 2.(Norcal usually has about 50-60 level 10's so would at least make the imbalance more reasonable.) I think it was Norcal more opposed to moving. Everyone(ie college coaches) knows about the imbalance, and knows Region 1 is strong, so the level 9 and 10 sessions at Region 1 championships get attention from college coaches. I think Norcal balked a little at the thought of moving from a "strong" Region to a "weaker" Region. It is a complicated issue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back