WAG Eastern/western level 9 qualifying

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We're not Region 1, but there are college coaches at our state and regional meets.
Would never mean to imply that college coaches don't attend many different state and regional championship meets. But all the level 9/10 Regional championship meets are held on the same weekend. Coaches are more likely to attend a meet with 230 level 10's than the meet with 60. And there are Regions that are even bigger than Region 1. 5,7 and 8 are as big or bigger.

Can someone please provide a Canadian with a link to the region information? I'd like to see what states make up each region and the numbers of girls in each?

It's funny because we in Ontario just switched to a parallel JO program and just this year introduced level 10 to replace a previous national level.

Ontario has a population of 13.6 million and there are currently 17 age 11-14 level 10s and 18 level 10 age 15+.

Just wondering about the numbers in the US.

Actually, it is my understanding that Region 2 is open to change. There was recently some talk of moving Norcal from Region 1 to Region 2, and I believe it was initiated by Region 2.(Norcal usually has about 50-60 level 10's so would at least make the imbalance more reasonable.) I think it was Norcal more opposed to moving. Everyone(ie college coaches) knows about the imbalance, and knows Region 1 is strong, so the level 9 and 10 sessions at Region 1 championships get attention from college coaches. I think Norcal balked a little at the thought of moving from a "strong" Region to a "weaker" Region. It is a complicated issue.
yes... although it was not voted down by some. From a logistical point, they need to adjust the entire US. (regions 7 and 8 are huge). At the same time R2 and R6 have a total of 182 level 10 between the two of them. Something will happen some day....

As a coach in Region 2, I would love more competition. Definitely would help keep my kids on their toes if qualifying to Westerns/Nationals required more than just showing up at Regionals.
Yes, we all know you guys voted yes to adjust the region, it was NorCa who backed out. Talk to your regional rep and submit a proposal for them to bring to the meeting at Nationals. It will go a long way to have region 2 bring in a proposal to add to their region. Seriously,, just write a proposal and submit it. Suggest Utah and Wyoming or NorCal.

Would never mean to imply that college coaches don't attend many different state and regional championship meets. But all the level 9/10 Regional championship meets are held on the same weekend. Coaches are more likely to attend a meet with 230 level 10's than the meet with 60. And there are Regions that are even bigger than Region 1. 5,7 and 8 are as big or bigger.
I didn't think you were implying that. I could have been more clear, I suppose. I was intending to assuage some concerns that making it to nationals was the only way to be seen.

Hi wallinbl, how do you know college coaches are at the meet? Do they wear college apparel? do they identify themselves? Do they wear different badges? I would like to see if there are any at our meets. Thanks.

At our region L10 meet this year they all sat in a designated area in chairs right along the floor, somewhat roped off area. They all had copies of rotation schedules and most wore sweatshirts/hats/etc and had clipboards/backpacks/etc identifying their college.

At the state meets, they walk around. Observing girls they have their eyes on.. they usually are wearing something that identifies their school: backpack, jacket, etc. You kind of have to watch them a while to realize they are watching lots of girls, not just one (which would indicate a relative)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back