Parents How much would you pay?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Several moms have asked me to make videos for their kids and want to know how much I want.

I have no clue.

How much would you pay to have a video made of your child's meet, using your own video and photos? You know with music, transitions etc

Someone else had asked would I do the same for other sports.

Thanks!

Deb

It all depends on what you want to get out of it.

If you're doing this as a favor/service (and for enjoyment) and expect to make next to nothing for it, something between $10 to $20 is about right. For instance, I charge $16-$20 a copy with half of the proceeds going towards the club.

If you are doing it for profit, it's a tough call. If you're like me, I spend quite a bit of time composing my products (100 hrs or more sometimes). So, unless I sell by high volume, I can never make enough to pay for my time.

Thanks! It's something I do for free for many of my friends - but I don't have the time or energy to do it for their friends, co-workers etc! at least not for free. One of the moms at the gym suggested I do it as a fundraiser - sounded like a good idea.

for 20$ how long is the video? I'm interested in what they get for the $20. Do you burn it on a CD? DVD? How much tape do you weed through?

That's were I think a lot of time goes. . . picking the video to choose. The more tape I start off with the longer it takes to make the video. getting 2 hrs of tape into 5 minutes is not an easy task! LOL

thanks again, and I would love to hear more about how you do it

Deb

If you have a computer with Windows Movie Maker, it is really pretty easy to do it yourself. All you do is open the program, select import from device, from there, it allows you to put an introduction and ending. As you practice, you will find you get better and better and are able to clip out sections you don't want and to add cool effects already built into the progam. It is really alot of fun once you get the hang of it and it is a wonderful way to archive your child's progression throughout his/her gymnastics career. I love looking back at level 5 to see how far she has come. Good luck and I can't wait to see you masterpiece.

If you have a computer with Windows Movie Maker, it is really pretty easy to do it yourself.
FWIW, to me Movie Maker products are only good for general web posting. For a "free" bundled product, it has a lot of limitations. Because this is a delivered product on a disk, however amateur, it calls for something much better. In fact, I consider my "production" to be inferior for the technology that we have today.

Also, the ease of use that you refer to assumes that the clips are readily available (as in a file). That is not true for most medias even nowadays (including miniDV) and I assume that to be the case when clips are provided by different individuals. Like JessMom said, the capturing process can be really time-consuming. The same goes for audio sync unless it's just background music.

for 20$ how long is the video? I'm interested in what they get for the $20. Do you burn it on a CD? DVD? How much tape do you weed through?
Glad to share...

I use an older version of EMC only because that is what I have. Someday I'll upgrade, perhaps when I upgrade my computer.

The total length of the last distributed video was about 17 minutes delivered complete with a printed label on a full-menued and titled DVD. It contained 3 numbers, with the last one being a mix of clips and stills (about 10 minutes). The other two were plain slideshows with some animation mixed in. I also supplied the music on a CD for an addition $4.

For this particular disk, I weeded through tons of clips (just felt like it I suppose). The montage had many clips taken from meets and the gym. Between the two gymnasts spread over 2 levels, I had a lot of footage. (yeah, I'm the peeping dad that tapes everyone at every meet and every demo). I also pay a considerable bit of attention to the selection of music and audio sync'ing.

We use power director, and we shoot very good video, last year we did just a plain video (no transitions) for $50, but if we added transitions, music and effects we charged $75 to $100. That IS a lot of work. Don't sell yourself short!

It was nice, we paid for all of our meet fees that way.

snowbound

Also, how much to charge depends on the demographics in your locality. We live in a very conservative and frugal area. I like the $50 to $100 idea (wouldn't that be nice) but no one would pay that kind of money around here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back