Parents I don't think my child will ever be able to .....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

Finish this sentence!

Just thinking and I don't think my DD will ever be able to jump to the high bar. It just looks so far away and she's so little. I'm actually scared to even watch her attempt it. It's just one of those things that seems impossible to me at this point.

...point her toes for an entire routine.

My daughter and form are just not on the same page. I keep telling myself it will come with age, but I may be using the old rose colored glasses with that excuse. :)

Resist chatting to her neighbor in warm up, no matter who she is put next to. She is my dd and neither of us can stop talking.

Pretty much what mine was going to be. She never stops talking and no matter who it is she chats and chats.

Also never going to quit messing around in practice. This comes a lot with her talking and not paying attention.

...sit still. She is always in constant motion. Always be-bopping around and talking and giggling--even at meets. Other coaches look at her and just smile and say to our coach "Ah, yes. We have one on our team JUST like her :)". She's my goofy girl.

.....do a back handspring on the high beam. Or stop sticking her tongue out while doing her routines! :p

I don't think my 5 year old dd will ever stop saluting! It is hilarious!
On a more serious note, I don't think there is anything she can't do if she sets her mind to it and tries. I used to think she wouldn't be able to do a lot of things she does but she has proved me wrong time and time again with her positive, don't get in my way attitude that I will now just sit back and enjoy the ride and support her.

Stop being a goof off! I love that she can laugh at herself though and seems to be a little more serious when she is doing her routines.

...sit still. She is always in constant motion. Always be-bopping around and talking and giggling--even at meets.

Am I doing this quote thing right?

MdGymMom... this is my dd too... I always say that I think gymnastics has been the only thing that keeps her from being labled "ADHD." I'd hate to think what she'd be like if she didn't have gymnastics to wear her out!

I don't think my 5 year old dd will ever stop saluting! It is hilarious!

Love this!
When my youngest was 5 she saw some young team girls doing a demonstration and was fascinated by their "pretty hands". She couldn't do so much as a cartwheel but spent a LOT of time running down the hallway and jumping into a lunge with a very exaggerated finish position and very, very PRETTY hands!

She may not ever be able to ... get through an entire practice without "resting" ... but she does have very pretty hands.

Older dd may not ever be able to ... see the difference between CONSISTENT effort and OCCASIONAL effort.

....keep her routine consistent!

The floor and beam routines she has at the begining of the season changes,, little by little. She changes dance moves head bobs all the time. Her coaches always comment on it! Good thing they don't care too much, as long as she has the core skills and keep her tumbling the same. the arm movements etc can change.

accept that there is such a thing as a learning curve. She expects to be able to do skills the first time she tries them and gets emo and dramatic when it doesn't happen. Dramatic as in shuts down and won't talk to anyone. It is the same in her everyday world too. Homework time is such a pleasure at our house.

I am continually telling her..."you had to crawl before you walked and you had to walk before you ran"

p.s. Netty---my DD also has the tongue issue :eek:

Swiftli, my DD is very similar!! She must "process" how things will work out (.e. "how will I get there if I can't do it the first time?"). It can be very painful in our house to try to talk through these things when they happen.

Her struggle right now is the kip. At first she was so frustrated she didn't get it within the first few weeks of trying, I thought I was going to have to pull her out of gymnastics! ;) But now she has processed that this is her challenge for the season - she must get this kip to compete level 5. And she has become much calmer - just focused and not so empotional.

Now it is just me who worries she won't get it!! HA!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back