Parents I don't think my child will ever be able to .....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

accept that there is such a thing as a learning curve. She expects to be able to do skills the first time she tries them and gets emo and dramatic when it doesn't happen. Dramatic as in shuts down and won't talk to anyone. It is the same in her everyday world too. Homework time is such a pleasure at our house.

I am continually telling her..."you had to crawl before you walked and you had to walk before you ran"
:eek:

My older dd is exactly like this. She quit gymnastics just over a year ago and I think frustration was part of the reason. She has gotten better about the homework part as she has gotten older but generally speaking, the drama is never ending at our house.

Beth's issue isn't a skill problem--though she probably thinks there are things she'll never get. But I don't think she'll ever stop being so hard on herself! She seems to think if a coach gives her corrections, that means she must be doing horribly. Drives me batty.

On the humorous side--I don't think she'll ever be able to start a floor routine without tightening her ponytail at least 3 or 4 times.

... do bars with her legs together. No matter how hard we work on it, her legs flail around like they are barely attached to her body.

And those of you parents of the "tongue kids", that makes me so nervous. My husband got called into the gym one night (he's a Dr) to check out a girl because she bit all the way through her tongue. :eek: It was a huge mess. I felt so bad for her. I had never really thought about it before, but now I cringe every time I see it.

... And those of you parents of the "tongue kids", that makes me so nervous. My husband got called into the gym one night (he's a Dr) to check out a girl because she bit all the way through her tongue. :eek: It was a huge mess. I felt so bad for her. I had never really thought about it before, but now I cringe every time I see it.

Ohhhhh, that poor girl. That's what I'm so afraid of. I don't think dd's even aware of it. Maybe I need to video tape more practices so she can see what she's doing.

leap!! Flexibility is not one of her strong points and her leaps really suffer for it! For the record..I also have one of those obnoxious, chatty, can't stay on task kids!!

Get through a year of gymnastics without that drama of saying she is bored or want to quit! Skillswise everytime I think she will never get something both her and coaches amaze me and she gets it. It might take her forever to get some skills but she eventually gets them. I thought the ROHSBT was never coming along with FHC and the FHS!

accept that there is such a thing as a learning curve. She expects to be able to do skills the first time she tries them and gets emo and dramatic when it doesn't happen.

This is my daughter as well. A lot of things came easy to her early on but now, not so much. Granted, she's only 4 (5 next month), but she gets VERY frustrated when she can't do something the first time she tries it.

I also don't think she'll ever be able to sit still and fully pay attention. There's always just too much going on. Though again, she's 4. Almost 5. :p

My dd is an easily frustrated perfectionist too. It makes it hard for her at gym and she is often down on herself for not getting skills as fast as her teammates. I doubt she'll ever lose this trait.

As for skills, I question whether she'll ever be able to connect a giant into a layout flyway.

my dd too is one of those perfectionists = who if she tried an activity as a youngster and she knew she wouldnt be 'the best' or 'one of the best' she would prefer not to do it at all than 'fail' - in her eyes
things did come quicker and easier when younger, and now she knows what she likes and realises she has to work for it but will always have these tendencies - its a personality thing! And it has many disadvantages as well as the positive side of the 'perfectionism'

Love this question but my answer isn't in gymnastics LOL. I think she will eventually get anything she sets her mind to .

I don't think my dd will ever be able to keep her room clean LOL

I have to go with the stand still or quit gymnastics.

She has a nebulizer at the gym and needed a treatment last week . . . she managed to pull the wire and hosing from the office into the gym - trying not to miss a minute of conditioning. Now THAT was one heck of a sight! :eek:

Walk from point a to point b without stunting a handstand, cartwheel, or roundoff.

Sit on the couch without pretending she's doing that straight fall vault that the L3s do.

Resist begging me to buy every pink leo she sees.

Stop wearing her I *heart* gymnastics shirt. I have to steal it away to wash it.

And most importantly...she will never be able to make me stop loving every single day I spend with her.

She has a nebulizer at the gym and needed a treatment last week . . . she managed to pull the wire and hosing from the office into the gym - trying not to miss a minute of conditioning. Now THAT was one heck of a sight! :eek:

Are you serious? I am surprised that the gym would even allow that. The thought of the liability issues leaves my head spinning :confused:.

Last edited:
Me too. A nebuliser is a very serious treatment. Surely the gym knows that she could not possibly continue with any gymnastics let alone conditioning after a treatment. Definitely not something to mess around with. I know from experience. If her asthma is so bad that she requires to keep a nebuliser at the gym I feel for her. Hopefully it will improve as she gets older as my dd's has. And please - make sure the gym is well trained and appreciative of her condition and it's seriousness.

Thanks for your concern. I'm always at the gym and she carries a portable nebulizer in her gym bag. Last week it started as - can it reach so I can watch . . to I'm on the floor I can take my medicine in a split . . . etc obviously she couldn't do anything strenuous "plugged in"

She did try to do cartwheels down the hospital hallway once while on oxygen - The nurse and I about had a heart attack. I guess I'm use to her trying to do things while taking her medicine

After her treatment she resumes whatever she was doing, unless it's running laps, as long as her breathing has returned to normal and she feels good

Her coaches are excellent about watching her - especially on bars - that darn chalk

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back