Leotard Emergency!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Quadqueen

Proud Parent
I accidentally washed my daughter's competition leo in hot water :(

The colors are black, maroon and it WAS a pearly white. The white is now pearly pinkish/purple. I washed it in cold after the hot, but it looks the same. Is there ANY way I can save this leo??? It is a GK, foil if that matters. I'm so upset..

i think they sell something in the laundry section that is supposed to help but not sure what it is called or if it works after the fact. i guess I am really no help. I'm sorry that really stinks. did you try contacting GK? they may have a suggestion.

Call GK, there are removers for this kind of accident, but I would want to check to see if metallics can handle them.

I guess I'll try calling them tomorrow since they're not open today...now to just make sure DD doesn't see it. :( Unfortunately, there is no way of getting a new leo in before the end of the season, since half of our team still hasn't received leos we ordered over the summer!!! UGH.

I think they sell something in the rit dye section. I would also wash it again right away with a color catcher in the water. I used those all the time with mixed colored loads, and it might help take some of the color out of it if it runs again in the wash. Good luck!

Oh no! If you are really desperate, you can try a stain remover stick (for whites) just in the white area to remove some of the color. I've done this with shout and bleach, just in white areas, to make the bleeding less noticeable. But I say do it only if desperate because I don't know what it would do to leo fabric. I've only tried this on cotton! Eek! So sorry...

I think they sell something in the rit dye section. I would also wash it again right away with a color catcher in the water. I used those all the time with mixed colored loads, and it might help take some of the color out of it if it runs again in the wash. Good luck!

What's a color catcher??

I've heard that washing with Pert shampoo works to take color out of white sections. Might be worth a try.

I have to chalk this one up to my grandmother (those old remidies seem to always work) We had a similar issue with a black and white leo so here is a solution for you

1. In a spray bottle, mix equal parts water, ammonia and dish detergent. (this one is good but I can't stand the ammonia smell)
  2. Spray the dye transfer area liberally. You should test a small, inconspicuous area of the garment first with this solution as it may cause discoloration on some garments.
  3. Brush the area briskly with the nailbrush or toothbrush.
  4. Wash the garment again as usual (by itself).
  5. If the entire garment has dye transfer (i.e. a white shirt that has turned pink), you may mix a larger amount of the above solution and submerge the entire garment briefly. Again, always test a small, inconspicuous area to make sure no further discoloration will occur.
  6. If the stain still remains after washing, repeat the procedure.
  7. As an alternative method, soak the garment in hot water infused with green tea. After soaking for about 15 minutes, remove the garment, spread regular table salt on the dye transfer stain, and let stand for another 15 minutes. Wash as usual, but do not dry if the stain is not completely gone.
  8. As another alternative method, wash your garment as you normally would (by itself), but instead of using regular detergent, use 1/4 of Boric Acid (Borax found in the laundry aisle at most grocery stores). This one has always worked for me.

Thank you everyone! I have Borax...going to try that one. I tried washing in liquid oxyclean, sprayed liberally with 4X Oxyclean spray, plus Pert and a color catcher, and it didn't work...:(

ok, I've been washing in cold (since the initial mistake with the hot!) and I'm getting nowhere. Should I try any of these methods with hot water? I know there's a chance that could make my colors run more, but wouldn't it also loosen up the color in my white areas?

No the hot will only set the color more. try luke warm water

You can also make the Borax into a paste solution with water and brush it in to the area too if it is really tough - red though is a tough color to get out.

At this point, bleach may be your only solution, and I am not sure I'd want to attempt to bleach an expensive, irreplaceable leotard myself. :( Once the fabric takes up that color, it's often nearly impossible to get it out. I agree that asking GK may be your best solution.

I assume the hot water with green tea was to brew the tea, not that the hot water itself would be more effective. :(

Good luck. I pray it comes out or that you can miraculously get a replacement. What rotten luck, but I am sure we've all done similar things (at least I know I have).

If GK can't fix it, could you take it to a local dance/leotard shop and get them to replace the white section? If it was plain white mystique fabric it should be possible to replace.

NO suggestions but just wanted to offer some moral support. But when I read your story, I got physically ill in my stomach. You poor thing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back