WAG Level 6 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Can someone explain to me in layman's terms (not "A skill" "B skill, etc") what is the difference in requirements from Level 5 bars to level 6 bars?
I've tried to find some routines on Youtube, and the only consistent thing I can see is that a cast coming out of a kip needs to cast into handstand. Is that right?

I've seen some with giants, and some without, so I'm guessing that's "if you can do them" (and obviously a good progression and preparedness for L7). I've seen some with layouts and some with tuck flyaways.

But the only thing I can see in ALL the L6 videos I see is that the cast has to go up to handstand.

Please let me know if I'm close!

Thanks in advance!

Yes you are right about the cast handstand. It's not a "special requirement" (something they'll lose .5 on from the start value if it's missing), but in optionals all casts are required to be within 20 degrees of handstand to receive credit. If it's not, it's not considered a skill for the SV & there will be amplitude deductions. Then one circling skill is required, so if the gymnast has competed level 5, they have the clear hip so that requirement is fulfilled. The flyaway in level 6 has to be straight from a cast as there are no tap swings or baby giants in optionals (they're not coded skills so the gymnast will just receive a deduction for extra swings).
So the only real difference that could be harder for some is the cast height & flyaway from a cast instead of a swing.

What @flippinam said. The cast to handstand is the big difference. Also Level 6 Routines are required to have at least 1 "B" skill, and if the cast reaches handstand, it fulfills that requirement. If not, the gymnast will have a lower start value (9.7) AND get the deductions for lack of amplitude in the cast. Otherwise, most L6 bar routines have fewer elements than the L5 routine, so fewer chances for deductions. (In L5 they do the back hip circle and a long hang pullover, and most L6 will only do the back hip circle.) Kipper competed L6 this season, and I did not see a lot of variety in the routines. I don't think a flyaway is technically required, but I only saw a couple of routines without one all season.

I still see some girls doing a back
Hip circle on the high bar in level 6. Would that be a deduction for them?

Nope DD does clear hip flyaway no giant because her cast is to 3/4 handstand on a good day, not enough to do giants for her from. No deduction on the circling element.

If it's really a back hip circle then supposedly not I guess, like the presence of a back hip circle is not in itself a deduction. But I don't see any way to include a back hip circle in level 6 without extra swings or rhythm deductions, so practically, yes. Also, you would still need another circling element to fulfill the special requirement of a group 3, 6, 7 element (clear hip circles, toe shoot circles, stalder circles). So I'm not sure what the point would be.

If it's really a back hip circle then supposedly not I guess, like the presence of a back hip circle is not in itself a deduction. But I don't see any way to include a back hip circle in level 6 without extra swings or rhythm deductions, so practically, yes. Also, you would still need another circling element to fulfill the special requirement of a group 3, 6, 7 element (clear hip circles, toe shoot circles, stalder circles). So I'm not sure what the point would be.
That's right Gymdog I was thinking clear hip not back hip. Like in my daughters routine.

I have seen kip - cast - clear hip - kip - cast squat - long hang kip - cast - back hip circle - flyaway (way too many skills IMHO for L6, but to each his own).

oops...I meant clear hip, not BHC. So coaches, if the clear hip is above horizontal, does that fulfill the "B" requirement?

Thank you all!!!!
The flyaway in level 6 has to be straight from a cast as there are no tap swings or baby giants in optionals (they're not coded skills so the gymnast will just receive a deduction for extra swings).
So the only real difference that could be harder for some is the cast height & flyaway from a cast instead of a swing.

I hadn't noticed that part - thank you!

HC talks about working the Level 6 skills over the summer, and I'm trying to figure out on my own what we're talking about (She hasn't even scored out of L5 - two more weeks - so I don't want to sound CGM and start asking about 6 yet!)

And she goes to gym camp first week of June, so she can really work on the cast handstand. (last summer she went with the only goal being to get her kip).

SHE might be ready for optionals next month, but I'm not sure "I" am!

The best advice I got entering optionals was to try not to focus on a level, but try to see it all as a journey. Unlike compulsories where there are "the" skills that everyone dose, there are options, choices, and room to add within a level as your aim heads to the next level. It was kind of a different viewing the forrest and not being hyper-focused on the tree right in front of you.

The best advice I got entering optionals was to try not to focus on a level, but try to see it all as a journey. Unlike compulsories where there are "the" skills that everyone dose, there are options, choices, and room to add within a level as your aim heads to the next level. It was kind of a different viewing the forrest and not being hyper-focused on the tree right in front of you.

I do agree with that. And that is my goal (whether I can manage that, we will see!!).
I'm only really focused on L6 skills because the statement is "If they can't get the level 6 skills over the summer, they will be Xcel Gold for the year". If she manages to move into L6 next year, then I know she will stay JO.

How do you do a back hip circle flyaway? It's not possible to do this without an empty swing or an awkward cast that is going to get deducted in 6. I'm not saying people don't do it I. Some levels or circumstances. I'm just saying there's no way to do this without incurring deductions, and there's also no point. Personally I have never seen a level 6 intentionally do a back hip circle. I've seen clear hip attempts that didn't get credit.

Back hip to awkward cast whatever is very common in Xcel routines, but that's a little different and the requirements are different.

How do you do a back hip circle flyaway? It's not possible to do this without an empty swing or an awkward cast that is going to get deducted in 6. I'm not saying people don't do it I. Some levels or circumstances. I'm just saying there's no way to do this without incurring deductions, and there's also no point. Personally I have never seen a level 6 intentionally do a back hip circle. I've seen clear hip attempts that didn't get credit.

Back hip to awkward cast whatever is very common in Xcel routines, but that's a little different and the requirements are different.
Now that I think about it, I believe there was a tap swig before the fly away. So upper bar was kip, cast, back hip circle, tap swing, flyaway. I can't remember how it scored but I saw one team doing it consistently. Would that be deductions for all the extra stuff?

Last season, I competed L6 with:

kip cast (to above horizontal)
freehip (to above horizontal)
kip cast squat-on
kip cast (to above horizontal)
layout flyaway.

I scored low-mid 9s all season (region 1)

Now that I think about it, I believe there was a tap swig before the fly away. So upper bar was kip, cast, back hip circle, tap swing, flyaway. I can't remember how it scored but I saw one team doing it consistently. Would that be deductions for all the extra stuff?

Yes. There are no tap swings without deduction in level 6. Each is .3. If you want to do tap swings, then you should do level 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back