WAG Level 6 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you do a back hip circle flyaway? It's not possible to do this without an empty swing or an awkward cast that is going to get deducted in 6. I'm not saying people don't do it I. Some levels or circumstances. I'm just saying there's no way to do this without incurring deductions, and there's also no point. Personally I have never seen a level 6 intentionally do a back hip circle. I've seen clear hip attempts that didn't get credit.

Back hip to awkward cast whatever is very common in Xcel routines, but that's a little different and the requirements are different.
The one girl on our team that did the BHC flyaway did it like the BHC underswing dismount from L3 and her swing was high enough to flip the flyaway.

DD competed L6 this season. I never saw a back hip circle or tap swings. Definitely, need casts to be to HS or you won't score well. I saw tons of clear hips (some to HS, most not) and some giants. I don't recall any dismount that wasn't a tuck or lay out fly away (most seemed to be layed out). However, we didn't go to any small meets. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Last season, I competed L6 with:

kip cast (to above horizontal)
freehip (to above horizontal)
kip cast squat-on
kip cast (to above horizontal)
layout flyaway.

I scored low-mid 9s all season (region 1)

Thank you!!

Sounds a lot like L5, just higher casts, no tap swing before layout.
"Could" you do a tuck flyaway if you chose?

Well, it's hard to land a single tuck flyaway at the right height without any overotation. It's possible, it's just generally harder for the kids to control the timing. That is why layouts are frequently the single flip of choice from a handstand. But they need to know and train both at least into pit or timers to learn tucked double back for level 8/9.

So is a tuck flyaway and a layout flyaway equal to each other? Neither is harder than the other or looked at as a harder skill? I always assumed the layout flyaway was more difficult because the more competitive teams that I've seen this year are usually doing those in L6. DD does a tuck flyaway out of a giant but I have wondered if a layout would help her score at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back