New Mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,

My dd is 4.5 and has been doing gymnastics for 9 months. It turns out, she is good and she loves gymnastics! The club/gym we've been going to wants to get her on the pre-team as soon as she is 5. This is all new to me. We're not a gymnastics family (or even a very athletic family). I'm trying to learn all I can about gymnastics and the culture.

Any pearls of wisdom from moms who have been at this for a while?

Thanks,
Julie from NJ

Welcome! It can be overwhelming. I had no idea that little girls all over the country practiced so many hours for this sport. It seemed crazy to me at the time. This is a great place! You will find lots of great info, great parents/coaches/gymnasts to learn from, too. :)

My pearls of wisdom would be to take it one day at a time. This sport is easy to get sucked into. Let it be her sport. Easy to get too involved, been there, done that. Let the coaches coach. Just be her biggest supporter. Learn about the sport. I read everything here when my daughter was being moved to team. I think it scared me, but it also made me feel like I knew better what she was getting into. The ups and downs. Don't compare your child to others. They are all sooo different and will move at their own pace. :)

How many hours will she do on preteam? At 5, my DD did 1.5 hours 2x a week. A little before she turned 6 she moved to level 4 team (and keep in mind different gyms start competing at different levels and pre-team means different things at different gyms) and did 10 hours a week (over 3 days). She just turned 8 and is a level 5 and practices 13.5 hours a week (over 4 days).

Anyways, hope that wasn't too much info. Welcome and hope you enjoy the CB!

Welcome! I have a 4.5 year old too. Mine will be 5 in October. I completely agree with Mariposa that it's very easy to get sucked into the sport and I'm trying my hardest not to...but it's hard! My daughter's been at it for a little over a year now and is on the pre-team at our YMCA. She goes 1.5 hours twice a week. Looking forward to hearing more about your daughter! :)

I agree with the others, especially about being your dd's cheerleader, not her coach. Let the professionals do what you are paying them to do, and sit back, watch and relax. Oh, and don't forget to bring your checkbook. This is an expensive sport. Good luck.

Thanks all!

Thanks all for your pearls of wisdom! You're right, it is easy to get sucked in. I love the advice to let this be my daughter's sport and to let the coaches coach and be her best cheerleader! Oh yes, I will bring the checkbook! :)

Valerie is too cute! I am very new around here too. My DD is 5 and has been doing gym since she was 3. We switched gyms this summer and DD was put on the level 1 team and will compete this year( I know in some areas level 1 is considered a pre team). I love CB and have learned so much already. I haven't posted much, but i have read just about every thread on here. I am amazed at what these kids can do. Good luck to you and your little gymie.

Monique
B-5yrs Level 1
K- 3Yrs Rec gym

Welcome! My daughter is 6 and has been doing gymnastics for just over a year. She was just moved to pre-team and will be doing 2 hours twice a week plus she takes additional tumbling classes for fun (because obviously I am crazy to let her spend more time in the gym). We come from a non-gymnastics family too, so I know what you mean. You will learn very fast and what you don't know, don't be afraid to ask. Especially in a very young group, you can't be expected to just know everything. I totally agree with the comments to be your daughter's cheerleader. That is why we pay the coaches. I often tell people when they ask if I help my daughter at home that the only thing I am qualified to do is remind her to point her toes. :D

Welcome! I have a 5yo L4. Your video is so cute. I just took some videos of DD last night, but I'm not tech savy enough to figure out how to put them on youtube.

I'm not that tech savvy either. You probably just need a little time without interruptions (hard to come by) to set up a user account on YouTube. From there, it's pretty easy. YouTube will walk you through it...Good luck!

Welcome to the roller coaster ride that is gymnastics! I agree 100% with what the other parents are saying, your main job is to be your child's biggest cheerleader and not her coach. Stepping back from things can get really difficult at times, but if you have good coaches, they really do know what is best for your child.
One bit of advice I do give new parents at our gym is one you hope you never need - how to deal with injuries. I have found that with both of my girls, they did much better to continue to go to practice when they were hurt, even if it seemed like all they were doing was V-ups/conditioning and watching their team mates. Staying in the gym helped the girls to feel like they were still part of the team, and they were in better shape to come back once they were better. Between my two girls we have been through a broken arm, broken leg, Severs disease (heel overuse), Osgood-Schlatters (knees), ACL reconstruction, torn tendon with avulsion fracture, back problems, and multiple other minor sprains/strains. We have excellent coaches, my girls just seem to have "black clouds" over them where injuries are concerned. The toughest time either one of them had was when Emily was banned from the gym for a month when she had mono - the first time :mad: - that was a rough time for the whole family. Other than that, they have continued to go to practice on crutches, in braces etc and it has really helped them keep going.
In the long run I think gymnastics may be as much about just hanging in there as it is about talent. If you always encourage your daughter to try her best and support her team mates, she is a lot less likely to burn out over time.
Good luck to your daughter and your family - it may be a bumpy ride at times, but, at least for our family, it has been so worth it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back