Skipping Level 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
I could be wrong, but I think our HC may be rushing some girls to higher levels because we now only have maybe 5 gymnasts in Levels 8 through 10. We used to have more higher level gymnasts but two years ago, we lost half our team, mostly, levels 7-10. We were down to 7 gymnasts in L7-L10. Well three of ourbest gymnasts left again this year. Last season, she moved one girl from L6 to L7 midseason. But this gymnast is truly talented. She placed 1st AA on 2 of her 3 Level 6 meets and also placed 1st AA on 2 of her 3 level 7 meets and placed either 3rd AA or 2nd AA on the other meets. She is now L8. She can already do her front giants. Now, our HC is saying she may move another girl from L6 to L8. This girl was a good L6 gymnast. But she does not have her giants, fulls, etc. Our gym has never had anyone skip L7. In addition, the gymnast is not even our strongest gymnast. Furthermore, our HC is also thinking of having our current L5 skip or score out of L6. Our last seasons L6 was a stronger team and our HC did not let them score out. So, I am thinking, this decision may be more a matter of ego. Does anyone have any thoughts on potential problems in skipping L7? Would the jump from L6 to L8 be too drastic? The gymnast in question is a pretty good tumbler and vaulter but her form is not so great. She caN't climb the rope or hold her handstand for more than 10 seconds. But she is a ver hard worker and appears to have some natural talent? I personally just worry because my DD is in this gym and I would like to trust the coaches and would hope that they had the best interest of the gymnasts at heart. What do you guys think.

Last edited:
That really is gym drama in the making. I avoid it at all cost. Don't worry about what is happening or not happening with anyone or anything except your own gymnastics. If the girls get moved up and don't have the skills they just wont' be able to compete and if they do they will do poorly - all of which has nothing to do with how well you (or your DD) does her gymnastics.

My advice is don't worry about anyone and how they are moving, trust your coach and your gym to know what they are doing and work hard on your own skills. Leave the drama on the stage.

That really is gym drama in the making. I avoid it at all cost. Don't worry about what is happening or not happening with anyone or anything except your own gymnastics. If the girls get moved up and don't have the skills they just wont' be able to compete and if they do they will do poorly - all of which has nothing to do with how well you (or your DD) does her gymnastics. My advice is don't worry about anyone and how they are moving, trust your coach and your gym to know what they are doing and work hard on your own skills. Leave the drama on the stage.
Thanks for your response Cher. I don't worry or concern myself with how other gymnasts are progressing. You suggest trusting my DD's HC. But that is precisely the purpose of my post. We are constantly losing gymnast for reasons unbeknownst to me. Since I don't gossip and pretty much judt drop my DD of at practice, I rarely get to socialize with other parents. But this new occurrence troubles me now. Things keep happening and I am beginning to question the gym. I just wanted some insight on this direction the coaches were heading because my DD is going up quickly in the levels and want to be confident that she is in the gym that puts their gymnadts first. Often times, people are so quick to pass judgment and offer solutions unrelated to the original post. It just is too bad that instead of trying to help each other out, we try to cut each other down. My daughter could be one of the gymnasts I mentioned but I might have chosen not to say who she was for purposes of anonymity. Is it too hard to just try to answer a question and not put all sorts of analysis on the poster whom we do not even know?

I don't know if I have any useful information for. It does seem really odd to skip level 7. A lot of gyms skip level 6 & some gyms even change their minds from year to year. I think it ultimately comes down to good communication between the parents/coaches/gymnasts. These kinds of decisions need to be made together so we can do what is best for the gymnast.

I think the best thing for you would be to talk with your daughter. Just make sure she feels safe during her workouts and comfortable with her coaches and teammates. Gyms can lose a lot of gymnasts for a variety of reasons, but if your daughter continues to be happy and safe, I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Our gym skips level 7. My daughter went from level 6 to level 8, then on to 9. Once you get to optionals there is a wide variations of skill levels, start values and bonus points. For example, a front handspring vault Starts at a 10.0 in level 7, but drops to a 9.2 or 9.4 in level 8. A girl doing a tsuk pike in level 8 can acutally get lower score because of technique, fall etc.. then a really good fhs vault. So if the gymnast is lacking in one event, they do easier skills with lower start values. Also, optionals seem to repeat levels more and not even do all-around so moving them up gives them more of an experience.

As far as the drama going on at the gym, and girls leaving, talk with the coaches about the issues. Once out on the table you may understand more and will allow you to wholeheartedly trust them. Most coaches would rather have you come to them then try to guess what is going on and having unhappy parents and gymnasts.

Thanks for your response Cher. I don't worry or concern myself with how other gymnasts are progressing. You suggest trusting my DD's HC. But that is precisely the purpose of my post. We are constantly losing gymnast for reasons unbeknownst to me. Since I don't gossip and pretty much judt drop my DD of at practice, I rarely get to socialize with other parents. But this new occurrence troubles me now. Things keep happening and I am beginning to question the gym. I just wanted some insight on this direction the coaches were heading because my DD is going up quickly in the levels and want to be confident that she is in the gym that puts their gymnadts first. Often times, people are so quick to pass judgment and offer solutions unrelated to the original post. It just is too bad that instead of trying to help each other out, we try to cut each other down. My daughter could be one of the gymnasts I mentioned but I might have chosen not to say who she was for purposes of anonymity. Is it too hard to just try to answer a question and not put all sorts of analysis on the poster whom we do not even know?

First there is no judgement here and I feel my post does address your original post - it might not have been the answer you were expecting but it is from my experience the answer I felt was best. If your daughter is one of the people involved then the answer I gave would have been different and I would have said go talk to the owner and voice your issues with him. Remember this is just a computer message board and we read the information in a post that describes a situation and then we post based on what was shared. If you don't give all the facts like this is about you and not some other family than you will get posts based on that assumption. For me if it doesn't involve my gymnast or family directly then it really isn't of a concern to me and I stay out of the drama, which is what I recommend to others when gym drama like what you discribed starts. If its a real concern to me then I talk to the source which means the coaches, owners, etc and get the info straight from the ones that can give me a proper answer.

Sounds like you have made a decision based on your post. If you don't trust your coaches, you feel the gym is moving in the wrong direction, you don't like what is happening in general, what you want for your DD doesn't seem to go with what the gym wants, girls are droppoing like flys etc then It sounds like its time to start looking for a gym that better meets your needs and expectations. The summer is a great time to look around. Why not do a few trial classes at other gyms and see if that isn't a better fit.

Thanks Win1385. That is exactly what I was wondering, if the move from L6 straight to L8 is an unreasonable move. I don't know much about the skills required, scoring etc. And I also know that each gymnast is different. But from your post, it looks like it is not necessarily a horrible move. I just hear so much of pushing gymnasts too quickly for bigger skills and wondered about it. Only time will tell. Sometimes in my quest to avoid a disastrous situation, I over think things.

And thank you also Cher. I often times worry about putting all the small details for fear of being recognized. I do speak with the coach on occasion but I think as in most every aspect of life, people tend to either sugar coat things or tell you things they think you want to hear. That is why I've resulted to chalkbucket. I was hoping to get an unbiased opinion and sounding board and/or information on past experiences to help guide me. Win1383's post helped a lot. I did not even know there was such a wide range of skills in optionals. My DD is a new optionals gymnast. So, I truly know very little. The coach also told us that L6 is easier than L7. I think this statement is not entirely true. So I wondered about now skipping L7. I've also heard/read that many gyms try to get through compulsories quickly because it is the skills in optionals that is "more important".

I do feel a little less worried as there might be a method to your gym's madness.

So I wondered about now skipping L7. I've also heard/read that many gyms try to get through compulsories quickly because it is the skills in optionals that is "more important".

Most gyms that rush through compulsories to get to optionals have a harder time because the good thing about compulsories is that they teach you a foundation of skill that are used as starting blocks to optional skills, ie perfect handstand on beam dismounts leads to perfect handstands on giants to catch bails, pacs , back handspring on floor leads to ro bhs layout step out on beam. So if the gymnasts get a good foundation of compulsory skills, then they turn into great optional gymnasts.

First there is no judgement here and I feel my post does address your original post - it might not have been the answer you were expecting but it is from my experience the answer I felt was best. If your daughter is one of the people involved then the answer I gave would have been different and I would have said go talk to the owner and voice your issues with him. Remember this is just a computer message board and we read the information in a post that describes a situation and then we post based on what was shared. If you don't give all the facts like this is about you and not some other family than you will get posts based on that assumption. For me if it doesn't involve my gymnast or family directly then it really isn't of a concern to me and I stay out of the drama, which is what I recommend to others when gym drama like what you discribed starts. If its a real concern to me then I talk to the source which means the coaches, owners, etc and get the info straight from the ones that can give me a proper answer.

Sounds like you have made a decision based on your post. If you don't trust your coaches, you feel the gym is moving in the wrong direction, you don't like what is happening in general, what you want for your DD doesn't seem to go with what the gym wants, girls are droppoing like flys etc then It sounds like its time to start looking for a gym that better meets your needs and expectations. The summer is a great time to look around. Why not do a few trial classes at other gyms and see if that isn't a better fit.

Cher, I'm sorry you had to defend your post. I think your reply spoke well to the OP with the info that was provided.

I'm just going to address the issue of skipping levels w/what happened at my DD's previous gym.... and I know this because they were at several of the same meets this past season. This gym decided to bump of quite a few L5 AND L4 girls to L7 this past season. These girls scored out of the next levels at their own, inhouse meet before the season started.

These girls had a HORRIBLE season. And they were so darn young, none of us could figure out the reason for the push. Two of them suffered broken arms ... I know, I know... it could happen anywhere, anytime. The scored at the bottom of the pack at every single meet. They cried after events, etc. Not a very fun experience for them, I'm afraid. A few of them DID qualify for states, but again, they were at the bottom at that meet too. Yes, I know that meet scores are not the be all and end all. BUT... I can't but help how much more successful they would have felt if they had just competed where they should have and slowly made their progressions???? And once again, half of the L7 girls have left that gym to move to other gyms, and I know of 2 that have completely quit.

Now, I DO understand many gyms skip level 6 and go directly to 7. Especially if a girl is a very strong L5 and is already training some of those more advanced skills. I honestly haven't heard of a gym skipping L7 entirely though. If you're not comfortable w/your gym, I would definitely be taking a look around at other gyms/programs. Good luck!

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a mobility score requirement in USAG to go to level 8; it is a 31 AA at level 7. Further, there are some very fundamental (to optional gymnastics) skills that are introduced at level 7 and it is just plain silly to not master them.

Good Luck

If you read my signature line you get a pretty good idea where I stand on this issue. Like ABQ said, good luck to your dd.

Cher--I also feel your response answered the OP's original post. Sorry she came down so hard on you after she asked for opinions and our thoughts without giving all the info necessary to make an informed response. When you put a post out on a message board for 3000+ members to read, there will be many responses and different ways the readers will interpret the words.

Could I please remind you that all the members give their responses based on their life experiences. Cher was very polite in offering some advice. If you don't like it please do not respond the way you did. You thank her for her response and then call her judgmental. I did not see that in her post at all. Cher was trying to help, it may not have been the advice you were hoping for, but it was offered freely and with no involvement. A simple thank you would have been fine.

Oh by the way, skipping level 7 is just plain silly. Even more so if the gymnasts in question do not have the L7 skills solidly. I hope that is the answer you were looking for.

USAG put levels in place for a reason...progression and building on skills as they levels progress. There are always a few gymnasts that are an exception but that does not seem to be the case here.

So overall I think it is a bad plan ecspecially if the Level 8 skills are not solid. Level 8 is a huge level with much being expected of the gymnast skill wise. Level 7 seems to be a little more forgiving and a great introduction to Optionals. Rushing gymnasts seems to be a new trend and one which has lead to injury, burn out and frustration in many cases.

I always tell other gym parents at DD's club if you are unsure about what the HC is doing ask......they should have no problem answering. You need to trust the coaching staff and their plans ......if you do not then move on there are many gyms out there.

CB is full of lots of people we will not agree with all of the. Rather than blast the poster why not read the post and move on. I have learned many things from people I do not necessarily agree with. Sometimes I needed to hear what they said even if i did not like it.

JMHO.....all will not agree with us but diversity is what makes this world go around and sometimes we can learn from others!

Could I please remind you that all the members give their responses based on their life experiences. Cher was very polite in offering some advice. If you don't like it please do not respond the way you did. You thank her for her response and then call her judgmental. I did not see that in her post at all. Cher was trying to help, it may not have been the advice you were hoping for, but it was offered freely and with no involvement. A simple thank you would have been fine.

Thanks Bog and others for your support

I have not heard of anyone skipping L7. I honestly think any gymnast can skip the lower levels and probably even get away with skipping level 7, but how much success are they going to have at the new level? How successful will a gymnast be at L8 if they don't have their giants, clear hips to full HSs? Sure they can do the level and probably even qualify to States, but will they finish in the top half in their age group or qualify to Regionals? I don't know the answer, but my guess is no they won't. What is the likelihood of repeating L8 again? I'd think strong if the coach has the gymnast's best interest in mind. So, then tell me what was the point of skipping the level in the 1st place when the gymnast could of built confidence and skill expertise at L7.

I have to say, I'd question the coach's reasons.

I know girls that skipped L6 from L5 and just sat there in L7 for a couple years. They just weren't ready, I think the owner just pushed them to pacify the overly aggressive moms (Yes, it happens!) and keep them in the gym because they threatened to leave. They quit, never made it out of 7, sat there for over 2 years. Even the most talented ones usually do L7 and then go right to L8. Lot of skills involved and L7 seems more the make it or break it level for committment. Just my opinion, but I think skipping L7 if your daughter is the "skipper" or your just posting observations is a big mistake!

At our daughter's initial gym they had her compete a full year of L5 and a full year of L6 and then score out of L7 [I'm pretty sure she competed giants and clear hips in that score out meet though]. From what I understand, they planned to compete her at L8 a few months after the L7 score out meet. That didn't happen because life got in the way but my sense is that she probably was ready [at least skills wise] to compete L8. There were at least two others from her old gym who did go on and compete a full year of L8 that year and one of them was competing L9 this past spring when she bumped into them at a meet. I think it really depends on the individual situation. Please note that I'm not necessarily advocating it in this specific scenario because I really don't know all of the nuances of it. I'm just pointing out that it is possible to go this route and at face value it may not automatically be wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back