What do you think of self taught gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Both me and my sisters are self taught gymnasts, we have gotten arials, front handsprings, back walkovers, etc. what do you think about it? Can you give me some tips? Please no "don't do it unless you want to break your neck" stuff please. I'm 14/12 and I don't want to start gymnastics at this age because I'd probably be stuck with tiny kids. I would appreciate your input. Thanks

Beyond flexibility home gym is not a great idea. Learning skills beyond what you have really needs a coach and a safe environment. You can damage yourself quite badly by doing things wrongly.

My suggestion is to look around for a gym which offers a teen recreation class or a tumbling class aimed at middle/high school cheerleaders. Not every gym offers those classes, but that would be the best way to learn without being in a class with little kids.

You would not be put with little kids if you started gymnastics. Most clubs have classes for older beginners as well. Mic you already have thought yourself a variety of skills they will evaluate your skill level and find a suitable class for you.

A lot of kids are self taught and it can be fine to a point, but to continue to progress and learn more after a certain point you need instruction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back