Parents Why qualifications for State are so low

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It’s different in every state- in ours, at level 3 it’s a 34. I’m not sure how the decision is made.

Some states have a very large number of gymnasts and have to make the qualifying score higher so as to limit the number of gymnasts that make it to state. Same with states that don't have a huge number of gymnasts, the qualifying scores are lower so that they have enough gymnasts qualify for each level.

Money - the more kids who qualify the more entry fees they collect.
This may be a factor, but it likely isn’t greed driving it. It is expensive to host a meet and without enough participants, it would likely be cost prohibitive to most hosts and meet entrants. Also, not really a fun event if the qualifying score is so high that it limits the number qualifying to a degree that renders the meet uncompetitive due to low numbers. It is also a good experience for younger/lower level gymnasts to compete at a championship style meet when they’re young. Helps prepare them for upper levels.

I think that the goal is to keep kids in the sport. Making qualifying for states unattainable at a very young age/low level will drive kids out. Open it up so they get experience and the celebration at the end of meet season. A 32 AA is an average of 8 on each event. I think anything in the 8s is pretty good.

Is it an average of 32.00 for all the competitions in the season leading up to State? Or, is it just 32.00 for the Sectionals competition right before State?

Do you know, are 1st Prelim, 2nd Prelim, and 3rd Prelim all considered "sanctioned state qualifying meets"?
So, if a child scored 32 or above in any of those Prelim competitions but scored below 32 in Sectionals, could they still qualify for State because they scored high enough in at least one of the Prelims? (thank you! sorry, I am the clueless mom <3 )

I think that the goal is to keep kids in the sport. Making qualifying for states unattainable at a very young age/low level will drive kids out. Open it up so they get experience and the celebration at the end of meet season. A 32 AA is an average of 8 on each event. I think anything in the 8s is pretty good.
Which circles back to what Aussie_coach says. Revenue

The goal of all sports federations is to continue to grow their sport and encourage young people to participate...that is the entire point and it’s how they identify talent. So it would be ridiculous for them to limit the lower levels severely enough that it isn’t enjoyable or fun for kids just starting out. Sure, there’s a financial component as well, but the sport would die out if they didn’t allow it to flourish at the entry level.

Do you know, are 1st Prelim, 2nd Prelim, and 3rd Prelim all considered "sanctioned state qualifying meets"?
So, if a child scored 32 or above in any of those Prelim competitions but scored below 32 in Sectionals, could they still qualify for State because they scored high enough in at least one of the Prelims? (thank you! sorry, I am the clueless mom <3 )
Every state is different for qualifying rules to their state meet. See if you can find your state's gymnastics website. Our state website is very helpful with information about meets in the state and rules regarding qualify to the state meet at each level. See what a search of your state's name followed by USA Gymnastics brings up. Hopefully, that will get you to the state's website.

Our state (NY) lists the scheduled meets and also if they are state qualifiers.

In our state all you have to do to qualify for Level 3 and 4 states is compete all four events in one sanctioned meet. Level 5 and up is when you have to have a minimum score to qualify for states.

In our state, you have to obtain a 32 AA at sectionals in order to compete at state. So you only get one chance to qualify for state. In order to qualify for sectionals, I believe you have to get a 30 AA at a sanctioned need.

Our score went up this year. Level three went from 33AA last year to 34AA this year. You have to hit this score once at a sanctioned meet to make it to states. I was nervous that the score went up this year--DD missed by less than a tenth of a point last year--but she already qualified for state this year with a 35AA. Second year at a level makes a big difference!

Some states have a very large number of gymnasts and have to make the qualifying score higher so as to limit the number of gymnasts that make it to state. Same with states that don't have a huge number of gymnasts, the qualifying scores are lower so that they have enough gymnasts qualify for each level.

Except in our state (WA) I find it to be the opposite. I don't believe we have an extraordinary amount of gymnasts, and yet our requirements are two 32's in sanctioned meets to qualify for SECTIONALS. Then it's hitting a percent of a percent at sectionals to go to state. Typically that comes out to a 34.5 for level 3's and a 34 for level 4's. It's interesting that they have this requirement - last year they actually had to go below the threshold score at sectionals to get the minimum number of gymnast to state.

For level 4 in Texas, my dd had a rougher than usual meet and scored a 35.6 at sectionals, and that was not high enough to qualify to state here. (First you have to qualify to sectionals and then you have to be in the top 45% of your sectional age division to qualify to state).

For optionals so far (levels 6 & 7), the qualifying score has been a 34.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back