WAG 2017 NCAA Showcase

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CrazyCatLady

Proud Parent
My daughter told me that her coach wants to take her to the NCAA gymnastics showcase this summer (I think our region will go to the one in New Jersey). I have done some research on the topic, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with one of these events and if you found it worth it for potential college recruitment.

DD attended the NJ showcase. In her case, I don't think it made a difference in her recruitment, but it didn't hurt. We are local so the expense to attend was minimal.

From what I remember, each gymnast fills out a questionaire of their skills/routines/upgrades. The girls are given leotards colors based on graduation year. The NCAA coaches are on the floor watching the rotations. The girls go through skills with their own coaches. There is also a parent info session. FYI, the gym was very hot so parent should dress accordingly :)

OP -

It can be worth it IF your dd has something to show. To be specific, is she a level 10? Does she have 2-3 years before graduation?

These things are a good opportunity for club coach and college coach interaction. Not a lot, if any, interaction between college coach and athlete.

You can look at this two ways: a young level 10 getting initial exposure or an older level 10 looking for a last shot from a school that might be looking to fill a niche.

She needs to be prepared to show level 10-quality skills.

Good Luck.

I appreciate the feedback. She is prepared to show solid L10 skills on all events and she is on the younger side of what the showcase age requirements were, so I think we will give it a shot. Any idea which colleges attend the showcase?

I appreciate the feedback. She is prepared to show solid L10 skills on all events and she is on the younger side of what the showcase age requirements were, so I think we will give it a shot. Any idea which colleges attend the showcase?
The host gym usually posts the list of colleges attending on their website as the Showcase gets closer. I think the parent session is very worth while attending to get some good insights from a professional who works with families on getting their kid recruited. That said remember he is there to sell his book and his services........but he is knowledgeable and entertaining and not pushy. Meet directors response is on completely on target except that I would add that a lot of the coaches are there to see particular kids and pay no attention to the majority of the kids there........so if you are going your gym should contact the college coaches that are going to attend in advance and let them know what gymnasts they have going and what is so great about them..........one surprise we got out of this last year was lots of interests from schools with what seemed like D2 money looking for good tumblers for their acro programs...........this wasn't something my daughter was interested in but it was flattering to get a lot of unexpected interest and its a great avenue for kids who aren't strong on all 4 events..........1 thing I can say is always keep an open mind.......... there are a lot of twists and turns in the recruiting process just like gymnastics!

Is it appropriate to go to the event to watch and support teammates or is that more of a distraction?
It's a workout , I personally would do something more exciting with my day, rather than attend to support.

I wasn't planning on watching - I don't want to get in my daughter's head! :eek: I think someone had mentioned in a previous post that there was a helpful informational session for parents. If I go at all (I think our coaches are planning to take a group of girls) it would be only for that session and only if the coaches recommended it.

I wasn't planning on watching - I don't want to get in my daughter's head! :eek: I think someone had mentioned in a previous post that there was a helpful informational session for parents. If I go at all (I think our coaches are planning to take a group of girls) it would be only for that session and only if the coaches recommended it.
My daughter told me that her coach wants to take her to the NCAA gymnastics showcase this summer (I think our region will go to the one in New Jersey). I have done some research on the topic, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with one of these events and if you found it worth it for potential college recruitment.

Yes, I think the parent session is very helpful if you have never gone or if you don't know where to start pertaining to college gymnastics. Its outside while the girls are inside and it usually lasts an hour. The girl's session last about 2 1/2 hours.

I think its worth it - especially as the NCAA rules are changing in August. I think they will recruiting lots of girls for the next few years.
Good luck to her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back